iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Skidder

Started by lumberjack48, February 10, 2012, 10:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjack48

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

terry f

Thanks for shareing Lumberjack48

Autocar

Great pictures and interesting artical thaks for scharing
Bill

Paul_H

Great pics.A couple things caught my attention

QuoteThe introduction of the power chain saw in the early 1960s brought about a tremendous increase in productivity to the logger. But the early chain saw had to be used carefully as severe cuts were common. The introduction of safety pants and safety gloves soon followed. Improvements to chain saws such as the use of safety chains and safety brakes were developed through the years.

It was the late 1940's early 50's when powersaws became widely used in our area.Was it not the same back East?

The other one I wondered about was the dates on the first skidder.I remember this link on the Forum here a few years ago that dated the first ones a few years before 1959.

Vannattabros
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

mad murdock

49 is when Dwight Garrett came up with the first articulated machine.  The one in Lumberjack48's link looks like a model 10 tree farmer.  They were from the early 50's on to the late 50's the model 15 treefarmer was it's bigger brother, and when they sold the TreeFarmer line to CanCar in late '64 basically it was a model 15 Garrett with the CanCar and Garrett labels on them, till '66 or thereabouts. Thanks for the link Luberjack48, some nice pics of the good ole days!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Paul_H

That sounds more like it,almost like the writer of the article somehow mixed up the decade.Pioneers they were.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thanks for the link Lumberjack48 I always love reading and seeing pics of how it all started and was done I like the pics of the Treefarmer  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Okrafarmer

A neat article and great pictures, but like so many of these types of articles it seems to be full of errors. One thing that made me grimace was how the author seemed to indicate that before these skidders were introduced, there were no machines to pull logs out of the woods. Crawler tractors were used as far back as the 1920's and before that time even steam traction engines were sometimes used. The crawlers were at their hey-day during the great depression and through the 1950's. They sported winches and pulled logs out of the woods, and filled all the same functions that skidders serve today (though grapples are new since then) and skidders basically improve on crawlers in two major areas-- ease of maintenance, and top speed. A third area could be considered to be purchase cost, and a fourth might be environmental impact, although that is debatable depending on terrain and weather.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dave VH

thankyou, I really enjoy learning the history of it all
I cut it twice and it's still too short

thecfarm

The man on that Garret skidder made it look small. Can't even buy a new,different brand small one now,without a outrageous price on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timbuck2

Try to hook on a 30" Rock Maple and watch the fun begin!

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

lumberjack48

They say Garrett had something to do with converting a TD9 over to rubber tires, but ground clearance became a issue

Garretts Timber Cruiser

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

got the new nortrax john deere mag in the mail today it says the 440 skidder came out in 1965. the timberland machines 200 timberjack in 1961 price $8925

Thank You Sponsors!