iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 smokeing

Started by graves logging, February 08, 2012, 08:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graves logging

my old 353 was working fine .started to loose some power .now the white smoke gray smoke just rolls out when sitting idle and when u rev it up.has no power and sounds like it has a miss.the engine labours when u rev it up.what do u guys think injectors? pump?i did new fuel lines and filters and some deicers. >:(

bill m

Air filter maybe? Is there a lift pump before the filters? If yes then there should be a filter screen behind the fitting where the fuel line from the tank comes in.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

graves logging

air filter is fine.the smoke smells like fuel

tlandrum

id be willing to bet its an injector.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Sprucegum

When I hear white smoke I always think antifreeze.

snowstorm

Quote from: graves logging on February 08, 2012, 08:35:10 PM
my old 353 was working fine .started to loose some power .now the white smoke gray smoke just rolls out when sitting idle and when u rev it up.has no power and sounds like it has a miss.the engine labours when u rev it up.what do u guys think injectors? pump?i did new fuel lines and filters and some deicers. >:(
white smoke = incomplete combustion. its not burning the fuel check the temp on the exhaust manifold is one colder than the others? often low compression. pull the air box covers look for broken things

lumberjack48

Sounds like a cracked head !!
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

graves logging

thanks for the input just not sure where to start

sealark37

Crack the fuel line to each injector just enough to make it leak.  The injector that does not cause more missing when it is cracked is the bad one.  If each injector reacts when cracked, do a compression check on each cylinder.  You will find one low.  Go from there.  Regards, Clark :)

tapper2

Check the oil to make sure it doesn't look like milkshake (oil and antifreeze mixed). If it's ok,...that's good. You may have a bad injector. Just pop the valve cover off, fire it up, and check like sealark37 explained. you may get oil all over when it's running, but that's typical for a detroit ;). An injector could be wet-stacking or just leaking. Not too complicated to replace, just setting the rack after can be tricky.
If oil is milky......brace yourself. Head to block o-ring seals are bad which also means the bearings have taken a bath.
Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

lumberjack48

Wipe in the exhaust pipe with a finger, if it taste sweet, head gasket, or cracked head.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Mark K

Could be a valve not closing completely. My 353 did it a few years back. started running on two cylinders. Checked the injectors, didn't make a difference. Pulled the cylinder head, had a valve with a week spring.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

bushmechanic

The best thing to do is make sure if it is an injector or not.There is a couple of ways to check for this,one way is to remove the exhaust manifold and see if there is any wet in the exhaust ports-this will tell you if there is a problem and which cylinder is the troubled one.The other way is to remove the valve cover and with the engine running take a screwdriver and push down on the top of the injector-this stops the injector from working and you should immediately hear a difference in the engine rpm,if not then you probally have an injector trouble.Also do not open lines on a 353 because fuel with go down in the engine oil.Sounds to me like an overfueling injector anyway good luck.

graves logging

Well drained the motor oil it was full of shiney stuff I think a piston is gone. I pulled the motor to get it tore down and see what it needs. 

timbuck2

In other words it was puking parts!   Oh oh, but on the up side there's only 3 holes to fix.

Thank You Sponsors!