iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stove pipe outgassing?

Started by brendonv, February 07, 2012, 09:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

I just installed my Vermont Castings wood stove in the house.  I've got 3' of single wall 24 guage black stove pipe.  I've got the fire going for a few hours now.  If I open the damper, and let the fire rip with the doors cracked, the black pipe outgasses like crazy.  How long should I expect that to last?  I was thinking I will open the windows and let it rip so I won't have to worry about it again.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated!
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

bull

you've got to get the chimeny warmed up, could take a litte while !!

bull

What do you have for a main chimney ? Is it clean ??

brendonv

All the pipe is brand spanking new.

main chimney is double wall, 8".  it's a darned inferno with the doors open!

www.VorioTree.com

tyb525

Did you put it together the right way? The male end of each pipe should be above the female end. This helps prevent smoke coming out the cracks as it goes up the chimney.. I know it sounds obvious, but the guy that installed our new chimney liner put the stove pipe together backwards ::)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

Male end is supposed to be facing down toward the wood stove. The idea is to have any creosote juice run back into the stove, and not run out onto the lower pipe at the joint.
So tyb, yours may be installed correctly.
The draft will keep the smoke from leaking out the joints.

Brendon
If outgassing means the oils burning off the pipes, then it won't take long with a hot fire. The manual should explain that and the time will be dependent on the heat and burn time.

No unburned combustion gas should be coming from the stove pipe joints.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clif

I am not sure what you mean by outgassing,  but my instructions for my wood stove say to seal all chimney connector pipes (single wall stove pipe ) with high temperature silicone and 3 screws to avoid drawing smoke into your living space if your chimney draft is over come.
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

brendonv

The smoke isn't coming out of the pipes.  The pipes themselves are smoking.  As if the paint on the pipe, or contaminants on the pipes are burning off.

www.VorioTree.com

Al_Smith

It will just take a bit for the coating,oil or whatever to burn off the pipe .It'll be okay .

It's just like using stove paint or stove black on the stove .Stinks for a couple days is all .

brendonv

Thanks.  I was just scared last night if I let er rip she smoked up fast.  I'll have to make a hot fire and open the windows and go for it.

www.VorioTree.com

Al_Smith

:D I only use stove black every couple of years .Usually in the spring time and it gets no fire until about mid November following . Even after setting idle for 6-8 months it's kind of smelly for a little bit on the first fire up .

Stove black goes away pretty quickley as it's just lamp black in some type solvent .The worst is high temp stove and grill paint .Makes the eyes water I'll tell you that .I use that stuff any more on the Bar-B -que not the wood stove .

Holmes

Brendonv  both the stove and smoke pipe will smoke a LOT on new installations. I believe most manufacturers recommend slow steady fires for breaking in stoves and smoke pipe, not raging fires. A new stove can crack with to much heat to soon in its life.  After a few days things will be off gassing less but if you get the stove roaring you will notice more off gassing into the house..  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

tyb525

I guess we never had problems with creosote dripping into our stove, but our chimney set up may also be different. Stove tees in chimney at 90 deg angle, so any moisture goes to basement cleanout. We also have terrible draft (havent figured that one out yet, only change has been installation of 8" liner, done by a "pro")

If you read a can of high-temp stove pipe, it'll say it requires the pipe/stove to get hot to "cure" the paint. This might be what is happening.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

Brendon, it's just the paint burning off like Al said. About every 5 years I put new 24 gauge in the shop (it's only 4 feet or so) and I get that finish burning off for a day or so.

Double walled pipe is installed different than the single wall like beenthere stated: male end down for the reason he suggested.

Tyb, you may have an undersized chimney liner. Since the old chimney wall had lots of draft. Was your installer WETT certified? May be a different certification body in the US. If the guy installed it and walked away without making it right he can't be much.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

Every year, when I used to fire up the indoor wood stove, I would sense a slightly metallic bitter smell/taste and it would irritate my eyes a bit.  No visible smoke.  After the first good fire this never returned for the rest of the season.  No stove black or repainting.  Is this the same situation you are discussing?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Doc, yours is moisture in the flu and pipes. A worst situation is back draft with smoke. Often this is when the outside air is warmer than inside plus the dampness in the flu. This smoking situation can be remedied by "priming the flu" at the cleanout with some lit newspaper to dry and warm the flu walls. Make sure there is no loose soot or creasote at the cleanout hole, flammable stuff. Brendon's is the finish burning off.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

WETT certified .You've got to be kidding .We don't have any stove inspectors that I'm aware of .Brendon might  in Conn . but we certainly  don't in the buckeye state .

No before you ask we aren't prone to having a bunch of wood stoves burn down houses either .Fact more fires are caused by improper use of electric space heaters than anything .

SwampDonkey

I was directing that to Tyb, Al. He has had draft issues since an install.

WETT certified installers are starting to become required here on new installations Al or you won't get insurance. Most of this stuff is a way for industry to justify a job and most think they are in cahoots with insurance. Our insurances doubled here a couple years back and if your in an older home you become prey to these organizations. Not only that, they use credit ratings to adjust your rates to. And I can't make the connection as long as they are paying the premiums. These outfits can find more ways to bleed $$.

Al_Smith

Hmm ! The only thing the insurance company ever asks is if you have recently installed a wood burner .They may or may not inspect it .In my case they never looked into it .

I didn't install it anyway and it's an insert in an existing masonary fire place so there's nothing to burn up .Well yeah it could if a log rolled out of the door I suppose .That would have more to do with stupidity than installaton though .Got that covered too ,ceramic  tile floor .  8)

r.man

At least some electric baseboard heaters will give off a oily smelling smoke the first time they are used. We used to always turn on new heaters for about 15 minutes with the windows open. Scares the homeowner if you don't or forget to tell them. I know that one from experience.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Al_Smith

To tell the truth just about anything that has a heating element smells bad the first time they are used . Electric range ,space heater ,hair drier ,new exhaust system .

fuzzybear

One thing I always do with new pipe is light a fire outside and let it get hot. Place the pipe directly over the fire and let it burn for a couple of hours.  This gets all the oil/paint off outside where I don't have to smell it in the house. I do the same thing with a new stove, set it up out side and let it get red hot.  If it does not crack after an hour at full blast it will not crack in the house, and the paint will be cured good.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

brendonv

That's what I should have done, but I was tired of watching the gauge on the oil tank drop even though we had the temp. set at 60.

I'm happy to report this morning that my heat hasn't been on since the day I installed the stove.  Low temp around 69, high temp 84, then opened windows. ;D

www.VorioTree.com

John Mc

Quote from: Holmes on February 08, 2012, 02:40:21 PM
both the stove and smoke pipe will smoke a LOT on new installations. I believe most manufacturers recommend slow steady fires for breaking in stoves and smoke pipe, not raging fires. A new stove can crack with to much heat to soon in its life.  After a few days things will be off gassing less but if you get the stove roaring you will notice more off gassing into the house.

Also a good idea to make your first fire of the heating season a small, steady fire, rather than a raging inferno. The fire brick can take on moisture over the off season. Driving it out slowly means less chance of cracking the brick.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

36 coupe

Stove pipe is painted with hi temp paint now, no more blued pipe sold now,Running a stove with the doors wide open is bad news.I see stoves installed with out pipe dampers.I lived in houses with wood heat for 73 winters now.Ive sold 250 wood stoves.WE have a lot of new wood burners that scare the hell out of me.Spent 35 years on our fire dept and saw what  happened when stoves were put in wrong.

Thank You Sponsors!