iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trouble sawing logs on a taper

Started by ForestMan, February 07, 2012, 07:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestMan

My mill was working fine a few weeks ago.  Now, when I started it up tonight, not sure why, but it is sawing at a taper.  It starts at one end fine at one inch, but the other end is less than a quarter inch?????  Anybody know what is going on?  Could it be the blade?  Off level?  It got too dark, so I could not check for level.  What could cause that?  Thanks for any advice.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Cypress Sam

SAM

ForestMan

hackberry jake

My guess would be the cant raising up, or faulty toe board
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ForestMan

I only have one clamp and the log tends to drift from side to side while cutting.  But I haven't seen it lift up.  I'm sawing large mesquite logs, pretty heavy.

bandmiller2

Try changing the band before making any adjustments. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Cypress Sam

My old lumbermate had a spring loaded counter balance on the head and when the break that held it started to get worn or when I did not tighten it enough would let the head rise up during the cut.
SAM

Cypress Sam

I think Hackberry is talking about the cant bowing up or doun due to stress.
SAM

ForestMan

Tomorrow when it is light I'll replace the band and see if that fixes it.

redbeard

This worked pretty good when a beam or cant keeps wanting to move. I pinned the end with a mount and put a ratchet strap on it.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

tyb525

I am 99% sure the clamp that holds the head of the mill in place needs adjusting.

That same thing was happening on my mill. You need to make sure the nut & bolt on the left side of the clamp is present (mine was missing!) and tight, very tight. Then adjust the clamp handle so it is fairly tight when you engage it (pressing downwards). Not too tight or you will bend the handle over time (I did that...) but tight enough to keep the head from drifting up or down. You may need to tighten it periodically as time goes on.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ForestMan

So the clamp that keeps the head from moving up and down to lock in to a certain cut?

ladylake

As Frank said, try a different blade first.  Check the set and sharpness on the one that's doing it.      Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dgdrls

As a new LT10 owner I have a keen interest in this.

If the mast head clamp is slipping wouldn't you should see a difference
on the cut gauge from start to finish 

best
DGDrls

tyb525

ForestMan, yes that clamp. I saw a difference on the height gauge when it happened to me.

The single clamp supplied with the LT10 is hardly enough to keep anything clamped down, you have to pay very close attention to it while sawing because it can and will work loose eventually. I don't think that would cause you to cut tapered board though, unless you were down to a pretty small size cant.

I would check the mast clamp, along with the other suggestions.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ForestMan

I put on a new blade and that seems to have fixed it.  Problem solved thanks to FF members.  Thanks everyone!

Thank You Sponsors!