iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pre Drilling

Started by WH_Conley, February 07, 2012, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

I have a question about drilling the holes on a frame. We are currently building a frame at the county jail work farm. I am there as an employee, not a guest of the county. The frame we are cutting now is sold upon completion. The owner says it will be stacked a couple of years before he puts it up. I am thinking it would be better to let it shrink with drying before drilling the peg holes. Am I right or wrong?
Bill

piller

I think you are right to wait to drill the holes, although one might want to consider the wood species (high shrinkage or low shrinkage) and the end use of the frame (indoor dry heated space or outdoor structure in a humid environment).  Either way make sure that your pegs will not shrink more than the holes.   If you were planning to drawbore I think you would want to reduce the drawbore offset if the wood is more dry. 

Thehardway

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: WH_Conley on February 07, 2012, 07:55:02 PM
I have a question about drilling the holes on a frame. We are currently building a frame at the county jail work farm. I am there as an employee, not a guest of the county. The frame we are cutting now is sold upon completion. The owner says it will be stacked a couple of years before he puts it up. I am thinking it would be better to let it shrink with drying before drilling the peg holes. Am I right or wrong?

As ,mentioned the frame is going to dry out while stacked for a couple of years. This may mean some things will twist and deform. You should advise the customer to make sure it's stacked properly or see if it can be erected sooner.

Some distortion may require some adjustments to the joints. I would bore the holes just before the frame is raised to make sure that the joints all fit together first. That would mean a full frame fit up of all joints first doing the one to one fit. Then the whole assembly fit ups.
See my story about fitting up a frame and raising it, here in this section.
Welcome to the timber framing section.
And that was a good question, for sure.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WH_Conley

Wait it is then. The county Judge Executive, our own Thomas-from-Kentucky, was the ring leader of this show. Why have inmates siting in a cell. The state wants them to work and rehabilitate , picking trash from the side of the road does not give much of a back ground for a job when they get out. The judge and the jailer tapped me to try to manage this crew. The price is right on the labor charge for building a timber frame. The skill level lacked a little when starting up. A few extra timbers. Scott from Grand Oaks came and gave a week long class. The guys came along so well he stayed an extra day or two for the raising. We are cutting the second frame now. The coordinator at the jail said I must be doing something right, a few have left the program, I helped on some. I can fire them. There have been requests from jails in other counties wanting to transfer in so they can get in the program. These are state inmates that the county boards for a fee.

I am the first to say that I had my doubts. I did not think the dedication to do it right would be there. These guys are competing with each other to see who can make the best joints. Probably the first thing that some of them have ever took any pride in doing. The first few days the "want to" was not really there. I am not above giving a butt chewing or a pat on the back, whichever is deserved at the time. Now they do not have to be told to go to work. They are usually shouting at me because I have not got the tool box unlocked soon enough.

My first "graduate" will be in 2 years. This is a kid that never built anything, used a saw very little and a chisel none. He has built confidence in his abilities, with some pushing. I am pretty sure he will be a master when he gets out and a welcome addition to any framing company.

We will be doing conventional stick framing in this program too. My goal is that one of these guys can, if nothing else, go to the local Union Hall and tell them he is from Bill's Boys Club and be given a chance at a new life. Course the "want to" has to be there first. I don't tolerate just beating in time. I also have the recycle center. The ones that don't want to work and learn can go pick through the trash.

I will no doubt have more questions before this adventure is over.
Bill

Norm

I think you and Thomas deserve a pat on the back for doing this.

piller

Quote from: Norm on February 10, 2012, 08:48:17 AM
I think you and Thomas deserve a pat on the back for doing this.

I agree.  Great job!

Thank You Sponsors!