an updated "how it all works at Logrite"

Started by Tam-i-am, February 07, 2012, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

In 2009, I gave you a look around Logrite.  A lot has changed at Logrite, mostly our employees.  We are now an all woman shop.  Here is a picture of the logrite girls.  Shelby and Amy are our welder/fabricators and Amanda welds the aluminum.  Then there is Dee who runs the final assembly and shipping area.  She is also our truck driver. 

I too have had to help in the back.  Usually, I only help with final assembly and shipping but lately, I have learned to forge the toe hooks or the cant hook tips.  Yes, so if you have bought a cant hook made since the first of the year I forged the tip.  Here's how I do it.

On the edge are steel rods waiting to go into the forge.  When they are glowing I quickly put them in a jig in the Iroquois ironworker which bends and shapes it. 

then it is into the bucket to cool.  Once cooled they go into the tumbler and then we grind a nice edge on them.  Then they travel to heat treat and plating.

Since the addition of the splitters and bluecreeper we are really cramped.  Here is a picture of an aluminum shipment waiting for Amanda to cut to length and weld into the different size and style handles.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

Nice!  I didn't realize you guys did the forging...

No pictures of kevin's desk?   :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Warbird

Bill Gaiche

Great looking group. I dont have a logrite yet but, I will as soon as I get up to Wills shop. Thanks for the update. bg

Dan_Shade

Bill, you cant go wrong with logrite.

I think that's pretty catchy  :-)

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Every day that I saw I really appreciate my LogRite cant hooks.  You guys are the best!  It is amazing how much better your cant hooks are than the standard wooden handled stuff that you can buy.  Operating a manual mill, I use the cant hook(s) all the time, so I have a lot of hands-on experience!  I enjoyed the pics and tell the LogRite girls that they do a super job  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tam-i-am

Dan - Kevin's desk is worse than ever. 

As for the cant hook tips, we used to have them hand forged with a hammer and an anvil but as Logrite grew the blacksmith could not keep up with the demand.  So Kevin being the genius manufacturing engineer that he is found a way for us to bring it in house.  The last male employee we had was responsible or forging them but when he left someone had to step up.

Dan_Shade

i'm glad to hear he's holding out!

us messy desk people need to stick together.

Jeff

I should post a picture of my desk that I just cleaned. I still have to push stuff out of the way to use the mouse.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ironwood

He probably doent want us to see all his "toy" trucks/ loaders/crawlers and such. As I recall he has quite a collection in his office. All my boys would have a field day plaing with them (although they would never quite be the same).

That is a place I could work, women have it going on compared to men. When I had my burst appendix, after 36 hours and waiting unitl 1am for am operating table, I was glad to see the WHOLE team was female (And in between grunts of pain and morphine doses etc,...I told them so. ). They thought I was kidding, I WAS NOT.

Go girls.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

But, I bet that you know where everything is  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tam-i-am

WDH - that is probably not true.  Kevin had his own desk, which is stacked with all kinds of stuff and now abandoned.  He has taken over my desk and I am forced to use the accounting computer/desk.  All 3 desks are covered with Kevin's stuff.  But in his defense he does work 12 hour days and he is always in demand.

Here is are two pics of Kevin's toys.  Hard to get them all in as the shelves are long.

Tam-i-am

Some more cool pics of the shop.

Here Amy is rolling steel for a tractor arch.

Here is Amy fabricating a fetching arch.

Here is Amanda welding handles.

Dee is camera shy.  But here is a picture of the pinning station.  The blue bins are full of toe hooks, peavey points, hookaroon tips, and lots of different size pins.  You can see the gripped handles waiting to be pinned. 

Ron Scott

Nice to see the shop work and the workers at work.
~Ron

Ironwood

Amanda, great smile.  ;D

I had a buddy who one year took 3-4 guys to an event to work, and all they did was hang out and drink. The next year he had 3 women, all worked and actually sold some furniture and represented him MUCH better.

I would much rather have a staff of women.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DouginUtah

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Magicman

Thanks Tammy for the info and the tour.  Your product is a testimony and reflection of the quality work that your "girls" produce.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman