iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you charge for rough cut cypress lumber?

Started by Bogue Chitto, February 07, 2012, 10:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogue Chitto

I have some cypress logs that have been stored in my pond since hurricane Katrina.  I  am getting ready to cut it and need to know what price to sell the lumber for?  Thanks. ???

Bodger

Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

beenthere

And will surely depend on what someone is willing to pay for the cypress.

What is the percentage of heartwood in the logs?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bogue Chitto

North of New Orleans.  Washington parish.  A customer wants 2 x 4s, 8 x 8s, 2 x 6s,

Bogue Chitto

Bogue Chitto

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I looked on a website in your area. I saw where a seller was asking $6.00 BF for rough cut in the sizes you have listed. This price still does not mean it's selling though. This is just what's he's asking.
If you know where other sawmills are in your area, give them a call and see what they get a BF for rough sawn Cypress. Act like your a customer.  :D
If you have a local market bulletin in your area, check it for "cypress for sale".
Also check the want ads in your newspapers or online.

Hope this helps.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 07, 2012, 03:42:29 PM
I looked on a website in your area. I saw where a seller was asking $6.00 BF for rough cut in the sizes you have listed. This price still does not mean it's selling though. This is just what's he's asking.
If you know where other sawmills are in your area, give them a call and see what they get a BF for rough sawn Cypress. Act like your a customer.  :D
If you have a local market bulletin in your area, check it for "cypress for sale".
Also check the want ads in your newspapers or online.

Hope this helps.
Thanks POSTONLT40HD. That would be great if I got that for it.  But I think I will cut the price in half.  This customer is a friend.   8)

Bodger

If you're thinking $3 bdf you won't like my answer.  South Alabama rough cypress runs $1.50...now in the big cities its more.  I've shipped up north for the $3 figure and shipped sinker for twice that. 
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

Bogue Chitto

Well I will wait until I get more replies and decide later.  Thanks everyone, for your help.

beenthere

Get in touch with Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesen if you have heartwood available for sale. There are structures built from cypress heartwood that are in disrepair and they were searching for cypress heartwood. Much of the cypress second growth is sapwood and doesn't have the same long-lasting properties as heartwood. They might pay whatever you ask.
http://www.taliesinpreservation.org/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ellmoe

That $6/bf must be for "sinker' or "deadhead" cypress , which is old growth logs (or someone hoping to hit a homerun with not much lumber to sell). In Fla. $1-!.50/bf for mill run, rough,green lumber is the going price. Even at that, we get cheaper cypress being sent down here from the Carolina's.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Tree Feller

I can buy 4/4 Cypress FAS/Sel for $1.85/BF here in East Texas.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Cypress Sam

In SE Arkansas I get the following

$0.90 green off my mill
$1.00 stickered and air dried
$1.20 kiln dried

Prices are subject to go down if I am broke.
Prices subject to go up if I am over worked.
SAM

customsawyer

The big mill I cut for sells it for $1.00/bf and up. The larger/longer the timber the higher the price. One timber I cut was 26' long and 22"X22" square edge timber. They charged a good bit more for that one as they had to dig through several piles of logs to find one that I could get that timber out of.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

stavebuyer

West TN and KY cypress sometimes can be hard to move at any price. 350mbf for logs and 700mbf for lumber would buy every log and board in the country here.

Okrafarmer

I can get $1.50 or so retail for green cypress around here.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

texican

Maybe find the 'buyer' on the History Channel show "Ax Men".... some guy buys cypress sinker logs off the guy in Louisiana, for minor fortunes.... some of the logs he's dragged out of the swamp and sold, I'd'a left there... looks like they'd fall apart before getting on the mill...

Magicman

And sometimes we get to actually saw some of it.   :)   LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bogue Chitto

LOGDOG

Pretty easy to find it around here for $1.00/bd ft but I've been offered truckloads of 4/4 random width for $625.00/thousand or 62.5 cents per foot.

Get what you can get though. I'm not big on letting what others are getting determine the value I place on things. I do have a rule though ...if I can't replace what I'm selling, for the price I'm selling it for ...then I'm selling it too cheap. That motto has served me well since adopting it.  ;)

Okrafarmer

Anything is only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The converse is, in order for something to have a price, it has to be for sale. If something is not for sale, it is priceless. If it has a value, it is only what someone is willing to pay, or willing to receive for it.

When I get baldcypress, I generally sell rough cut for about $2. Keep in mind most of my sales are rather retail in nature.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!