iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar Oil Leak in 346XP

Started by g_man, February 06, 2012, 04:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

My 346XP leaks bar oil when I let it sit over nignt. Probably a one or two table spoons. If I let it sit long enough it will drain the tank. It looks like it's coming from under the clutch cover but it might be from around the oil flow adjust screw. I can't tell. The oiler works fine. I need some suggestions on how to fix or what to look for. The mess is starting to bug me. Thanks.

lumberjack48

All my saws seemed to leak oil, so I'm not much help. But help will be coming along soon.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Cut4fun

I think I may have the same problem on a new to me used 346 45cc I picked up last month. I picked it up the other day and the bottom and shelf under it was covered in bar oil. The other 346 beside it sitting there alot longer has never done that.

Will look into it in the  future to see what I find.

John Mc

My Jonsered 2152 does the same thing, and has for as long as I can remember (possibly since new).  My Husky 357 has never had the problem. I've just never gotten around to poking around in the 2152 to see where it's coming from... I just have to be careful where I put it when I'm done.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

MapleNut

I have an 046 stihl, 372 and262 Huskys that all leak oil over time. I try to run them out of gas so the oil tank is almost empty and lay them on the clutch side. May help a slow down the leak a little! :)
2005 WM LT40HDG28, 5500 IRON MULE, 272,262,046, & A PIC!

g_man

Well I've had my share of saws over the last 50 years and they all dribbled a little. I expect that. But I never had one that would leak out a full tank of oill in a few days. That seems a bit much to me.

Cut4fun

Yeah whole tank thing sounds weird.

Even the one I got doing this is just a couple of tablespoons of mess then it seemed to stop. 

Corley5

If I lay mine on it's side it doesn't leak as much  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

JohnG28

I had cross threaded the cap on my little Husky years back.  Saw would leak most of the tank out when sitting for a while.  You could barely tell the threads were messed up, and I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't do it myself.  Couple bucks for a new cap, no more problem.  Might be a cheap try to fix the issue.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Ohio_Bill

I have a 346 and it leaks also , but now that I think of it . I have never owned a saw that did not leak . :D
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

John Mc

Quote from: JohnG28 on February 07, 2012, 07:00:46 PM
I had cross threaded the cap on my little Husky years back.  Saw would leak most of the tank out when sitting for a while.  You could barely tell the threads were messed up, and I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't do it myself.  Couple bucks for a new cap, no more problem.  Might be a cheap try to fix the issue.

Mine leaks when lying down (oil cap up) or when standing up.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JohnG28

I got you John.  I have leaks from other saws regularly too, I was just responding to his tank emptying from the leak.  This particular instance for me was the only time any of my saws leaked that much. I don't have a very large fleet though.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sablatnic

My first guess would be the rubber gasket around the oil pump.
Part #503 85 47-01

g_man

Quote from: sablatnic on February 08, 2012, 03:15:49 AM
Part #503 85 47-01

OK - Thanks. I guess I will start by taking a look at the oil pump and oil pipe area.

bandmiller2

Drooling is a bad habbit many saws have,don't think theirs a really good fix.I always lay the saws so the caps are up, on something to hold or absorb oil.If thats your saw only bad habbit consider yourself lucky.I do think its just the position of the pump when shutdown,try pulling it over a little. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

John Mc

Never thought of the pulling it over a little idea. I'll have to try that, epsecially since I'm unlikely to tear into this saw anytime soon

sablatnic

It will not help pulling it over, but you can try pulling the chain a few inches, didn't think of that.
The pump on the 346 is not driven by by the crank shaft, but by the clutch drum.

g_man

Well I took my saw apart today and found the leak. The oiler is a clever design but I dont see how it wont leak with time. There is no positive sealing mechanism that I can see.

My leak is a very steady drip from behind the oil pump barrell. I took out the pump. The pick up hose has a tapered section where it passes through the tank wall to make the seal. Then there is square section with a half moon cutout that fits around the pump barrell where the input port is. It matches the one you can see covering the output port. It looks like what is supposed to happen is when you tighten down the pump it forces the tapered pickup into the tank and pushes the pump barrell tight against the dished out half clam shell to make both seals. Then the thin metal chain guide holds the other half clam shell (the one you can see) over the pump output. Like two hands coming together to pray.
It seems to me replacing those parts may or may not help. As soon as that tapered section moves deeper into the tank the cup will losen and it will leak again.
I can stop it if I set it down with the flat of the bar up. The fill caps on the bottom.
What do you think??? May there is a solution I  dont know about.

g_man

Quote from: sablatnic on February 08, 2012, 03:15:49 AM
Part #503 85 47-01

I just looked up the part sablatnic mentioned. It is a one piece oil pipe from the tank to bar. It has a one piece cylinder that fits around the pump barrell with a hose off each side. In from tank and out to bar. It eliminates the split cupped clam shell affair. It has to be better. Must be an upgrade replacement to fix the bad leaks.

Thank you sablatnic. smiley_wavy smiley_wavy

g_man

After doing a little poking around to find parts diagrams it appears that the 2 piece oil line with the split cupped fitting around the oil pump (like I have) is the newer design. ???
Guess I will order the old part and see what happens.

ENTS

My 353 leaked from day one.  Hope you find the answer since I'd like to stop putting a diaper on this thing at night.

Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

redlaker1

I replaced that oil pickup tube on my 353 because as near as I could tell it was leaking out around that tapered rubber part where it goes into the oil tank.

it fixed the problem for me.    I just try not to bring it in out of the cold to a warm shop,   and if I do I try to remember to crack the cap so it doesnt build up pressure in there and push oil out.   not sure if that is making the difference or not.     but my saw doesnt leak anymore

bandmiller2

Sablatnic,you are correct my friend I should have said pull the chain over a little,sometimes that doesn't work ether.What we need are saw "pampers"or saw "depends". Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

g_man

Quote from: redlaker1 on February 12, 2012, 08:05:50 PM
I replaced that oil pickup tube on my 353 because as near as I could tell it was leaking out around that tapered rubber part where it goes into the oil tank.

it fixed the problem for me.    I just try not to bring it in out of the cold to a warm shop,   and if I do I try to remember to crack the cap so it doesnt build up pressure in there and push oil out.   not sure if that is making the difference or not.     but my saw doesnt leak anymore

Did you have the two piece split tube or the one piece tube ? Just curious. I have ordered the one piece and am waiting for it.

sablatnic

I haven't seen the two part tube yet, but then, I get the old saws to repair. My guess is that you should get the new type. I don't know if you can use the old type on the new type of saw.

Thank You Sponsors!