iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can this blade be repaired?

Started by Riggs, February 06, 2012, 04:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

I'm pretty new to this, and this may have been covered elsewhere, but can this blade be repaired? I was thinking tig it, grind it flat, sharpen and set it. I work in a machine shop, so the tig and grind is no problem, just don't know if it would work. As you can see it's a brand new blade and it chaps me to think about having to trash it. :-\

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

beenthere

Are we to be looking at one tooth missing, or more than that?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Riggs

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

NMFP

I would just grind the band and then bend that tooth straight so that it doesnt affect the surface of the wood.  Believe it or not, I sharpen bands with 10-20 teeth missing for pallet companies.  I wouldn't waste any time trying to weld and set because most likely, it will cause other issues.

Hope this helps.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Generally when this happens to one of my blades, I just pack it up and send it back to WM RE-SHARP with the rest of my dull blades. If it needs replaced, they replace it. If it can be used again, they sharpen it and send it back to me with the rest of my re-sharped blades.
I do not spend a lot of time on a tooth or 3, I let WM figure that out while I'm milling lumber.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

Nothing wrong with that if you can sharpen yourself. Except you have to put some money under the blade for the tooth fairy.  :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

cutterboy

I don't think one missing tooth will make any difference in your sawing. The stub of a tooth probably won't make contact with the wood.

Did the blade come that way or did you break the tooth? If it did come that way you could always ask for a new blade or your money back, but as I said, the blade will probably saw just fine.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

customsawyer

Don't worry about it. Stick it in the log and see if it makes any marks you can't live with. It that is the case then touch up that one tooth and let the blade eat.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

kelLOGg

I've knocked off 6+ teeth and still used the band. I tagged the band to remind me and don't use it if I am sawing for someone else, otherwise I usually use it for pine. I don't think I would notice one tooth missing.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

buildthisfixthat

i would send it to wood   MIZER RE-SHARP service they are experts with blades ,,,though one missing tooth is not going to make that much difference
shop built bandsaw mill

bandmiller2

One missing tooth doesn't amount to a tinkle hole in the snow.Whats bad is 4 or 5  in a row.Just bend it straight and use the band. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

discypher

thanks for the question and the answers.

I'm following about a  month behind riggs, so I expect the have a band like that soon.:)
Norwood ML26

Bandmill Bandit

Sharpen, set making sure you make that part tooth straight and save that blade for the real dirty logs that may also have foreign material like metal, gravel Etc.

IMHO 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Riggs

Thanks for all of the replies, that's just what I was hoping for. Glad to know it can be salvaged.

Norwood ML 26

Migal

Heck I paid a orthodontist surgeon one time to get rid of the teeth we don't use in this date and time of life.  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Chuck White

I would just tip it on it's side and flatten it straight with the rakers.

The only potential problem I see with it is whether or not the advancement arm on your sharpener will have enough to get hold of to advance the blade.

You might have to weld a little bit where the advancement arm would normally be to move the blade ahead.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

FeltzE

Use it as is, if you can resharpen your own blades. Keep it for that risky tramp metal log even if it's dull.  WM resharp will replace it and charge you for the new one.

Eric

Thank You Sponsors!