iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Cookie Table top

Started by Mooseherder, February 05, 2012, 10:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I didn't have a big enough cookie to make a top for the Pavilion project center table today but made one out of a few cookies to see what it would look like.  I was thinking it would look like clover but ended up looking like a flutterby at some angles.
The top cookie covers the 4 inch deck screws in the other pieces.  I'll go with this for now and see if it grows on me.  The cuts with a chainsaw were hard to get even.

Lud

Not bad, not bad.  Multiple layer tables have potential.  Or maybe the middle one could be a lazy  susan! ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

Looks like a short stumpy tree to me!  Very creative.  That one will bring out a lot of discussion, so you will have to get used to telling your story.  I really like it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Mooseherder, now ya got me wanting to make one of these for my yard to set beside mu benches.

Thanks for the pic! Nice work!!!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

You'll be able to make your cookie tolerances a lot closer than mine. :)

sandhills

That's just plain neat!  Now I have to try it.  :)

breederman

I like it :)However  every cookie I have ever made has split and my fear would be that the splits are going to be where you put the deck screws, :( I sure hope it stays together for you.
Together we got this !

SwampDonkey

Nice spot to park your favorite beverage and a snack.  ;D :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CHARLIE

Breederman, in the woodturning world, a man in Hawaii discovered that if he took his green rough turned bowls and soaked them in a 6 part water to 1 part dish detergent (cheap stuff from Costco or Sam's) for a day or two and then let them dry some before turning they won't crack. The wood still moves (goes oval) because it is green wood but it won't crack. I had good luck with the process but haven't used it in a few years.  Now I'm thinking......what if you filled a washtub with 6 part water to 1 part dish detergent and put a cookie into it for a couple of days.  Throw some plywood over the lip of the washtub as a cover. I'm thinking that the cookie won't crack. It would be worth expermenting with a cookie and wouldn't cost much to find out.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Norm

Let me know what Donna says when you tell her that's what you're gong to do in the bathtub. :D

CHARLIE

Ha! Never thought of using the bathtub but that's a great idea since our shower is separate.  I'm sure she'd understand since I'd only be soaking the wood for a day or two and it wouldn't take her too long to scrub the tub out. Don't ya think?  ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Magicman

I think that some ideas are best left as just that....ideas.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Well for starts, your going about it wrong. If your expecting Donna to do the cleaning up. That will put the kibosh on it right off the bat. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

breederman

I have a water vat that would work for that, but currently the water is hard. ;D
Together we got this !

Mooseherder

It got bleached 3 days ago and is now ready for some stain.

Clam77

Can already see the top one starting to crack already...     :-\

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

jamesamd

Looking great ,I like it.Spar varnish,as a finish coat?
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

LeeB

Now you need some three legged stools with cookies for seats. 4 should just about match up to the table.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Mooseherder

Quote from: Clam77 on February 08, 2012, 08:49:40 PM
Can already see the top one starting to crack already...     :-\

That is an area that needs to be sanded.  No cracks yet. ;)
I'm not sure what I'll use for the finish yet.

Chris Burchfield

The potential for a 6 part water to 1 part dish detergent doesn't sound out in left field.  If the cookie has not cracked yet, seems green would be slow to absorb but, the detergent may allow the fibers to move.  Without releasing from one another to cause a crack.  I've got some fresh wind blow down oak I may have to try this on.  In a small plastic kiddie pool sounds like the ticket.  Seems you would not want to go too strong on the detergent as it may inhibit your finishing product you intend to apply.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

CHARLIE

Chris, I used shellac on my bowls and it didn't seem to bother the finishes at all.  I knew other turners that used lacquer or varnish without any problems.
Charlie

lewisclan

Quote from: Chris Burchfield on February 09, 2012, 08:58:10 AM
The potential for a 6 part water to 1 part dish detergent doesn't sound out in left field.  If the cookie has not cracked yet, seems green would be slow to absorb but, the detergent may allow the fibers to move.  Without releasing from one another to cause a crack.  I've got some fresh wind blow down oak I may have to try this on.  In a small plastic kiddie pool sounds like the ticket.  Seems you would not want to go too strong on the detergent as it may inhibit your finishing product you intend to apply.

I know this is an old thread......But did you try this method  and if so how did things turnout ? i currently have a bunch of Ash cookies 4-8" thick   40"-60" dia just cut last week and sacked & bar clamped to steel welding tables and am looking for a cheep stabilizer.

Jeff

You will not dry those cookies without a crack. Any information to the contrary is just setting you up for eventual disappointment.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

One through cut from outside to pith will let the thing shrink on its own, then fill in the pie shaped void.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

nk14zp

Could the cookies be cut in quarters and then rejoined when dry IE with dowels/biscuits and glue?
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Jeff

You will still find yourself missing a slice when you go to put it together.

Jeff

Bowls can dry without cracking, as they are essentially a series of outside perimeters, stacked on one another, and not a perimeter fighting a center.

Ianab

Quote from: nk14zp on September 09, 2013, 05:36:44 PM
Could the cookies be cut in quarters and then rejoined when dry IE with dowels/biscuits and glue?

What you can try is taking 3 slabs, and cutting them into quarters and drying them. Make the middle one a sacrificial one, that you use to cut out the chunks you need to fill the gaps in the other two. Because the middle slice was cut next to the ones you want to rebuild the grain will be close to matching.

What happens is that as wood dries it shrinks more in different dimensions. The circumference will shrink more than the radius. Maybe 10% for the circ, 5% for the radius. Exact amounts vary with the species, but it's usually more than the wood can handle 

So as Jeff suggests, you end up with a piece of pizza missing from the pie. But if you want to go down the path of gluing the pie back together, you could. You just need to borrow some extra slices from another pie.  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

It would also be an interesting geometry excercise to make it back just like it looked when you started.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!