iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulics control solenoid

Started by LeeB, February 05, 2012, 08:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Had a fellow come by yesterday to ask if I would do some sawing for him. Told him i had to check out the mill and I would lethim know. I haven't sawn anything in several months. Went out this morninng and sure enough, the hydraulics would not work. After much troubleshooting, I traced it to the solenoid next to the battery box. Looked through my spares box and did not have another. In order to get the job done tommorow, I bypassed the solenoid by jumping the two leads together. My question is, other than keeping the hydraulics from being able to activate when the key is off, what other function does this solenoid serve?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Brucer

My one-time competitor has an older mill without the solenoid. Once in a while he'd leave the head at the front of the mill over a weekend and then find the battery was low when he went to start up. I noticed that when this happened there was always a build-up of damp sawdust around the contact shoe. Apparently the sawdust was conducting enough current to drain off some of the charge in the battery.

There was also the time we were connecting his extension and left the carriage at the front of the mill. When I pulled the drive chain off the far end of the mill it dropped onto the plastic contact housing, wrapped around the end, and hit the copper contact strip. That was pretty exciting for a bit.

I suspect you'll be OK as long as you remember that the strip is live whenever the carriage is at the front.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Slabs

I've repaired a number of those solenoids including the ones that were "crimped" togather.  The problem is usually burned or dirty contacts on the main terminals.  Of course, burned out coil is a distinct possibility.

Auto parts store solenoids are usable and will get you by in an emergency or may last years if a heavy duty one is not available.  Auto solenoids come in many configurations including  one and two terminals with variations among the two-terminals.  Check the hookup of the solenoid for your mill.  The schematic will be in the manual and select the appropriate "emergency" solenoid from local vendors.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

LeeB

I ordered 2 new ones this morning and will replace it when the new one comes. Everything worked well today with the jumped wires. Back again tommorow to finish up. New parts supposed to be here on the 8th.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magic Smoke

The only function of this solenoid is to disable the hydraulics with the key switch.

Buck

Lee, I have trouble from time to time when my mill is idle. Most of the time a good wire brushing of all contacts gets me back on track. I've done it a few times to the contact strip on the side of the frame just too.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

bob in iowa

The reason for a soleniod in a circuit is to transfer high amperage from one place to another by using low amperage control voltage.
Think about a starter solenoid in simple terms.
You turn the key switch on your car and send two or three amps to a coil in the starter solenoid, which energizes and pulls a set of heavy duty contact points together sending full battery amperage to the starter motor.
You can energize the starter motor by shorting across the heavy duty terminals, (sending battery voltage to the starter)but your shorting devise might not be able to carry the amperage without overheating and causing a dangerous situation.
The solenoid control voltage is normally fused. The heavy duty terminals may not be. 

VictorH

Hi there Bob - Welcome to the Forum  :)

Nice to know I can jump mine short term,  Am having the same issue and need to cut logs Saturday.

Norm

Welcome aboard Bob, where you located in our fine state?

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum bob in iowa.  How about an introduction and some information about your sawing interest.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

In the interest of clarification of terms there is a difference between a relay and a solenoid .
A solenoid is a linier device  such as the operator of a valve or in the case of a Chevy starter .

A relay is merely an electrically actuated switch as in the example of a Ford starter relay .
BTW a Chevy starter solenoid is a relay  in effect .The switching portion does not occur however until the solenoid portion is fully engaged .Grease monkey trivia 101 --Al the shade tree mechanic ---

Magicman

Today is the 8th so the "Brown Cow" should bring you your new solenoid today LeeB.  I imagine that all of us with Supers have had to jumper that solenoid at one time or the other.  When I have, I just park it beyond the contact strip.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magic Smoke

With regards to what Bob said; if you're going to jump the hydraulic solenoid relay in the fuse box, don't use a jumper wire for the reason Bob mentioned, just take the cable off one of the large studs and double it up on the other large one.
Also, this circuit is fused.

LeeB

I had already pulled the solenoid/relay, so I just bolted the two leads together. The ups guy should be here later today and all will go back as original.

Thank You Sponsors!