1. sassafrass 2. magnolia 3. redgum
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

millwright

Black ash, white ash,red pine.

rbarshaw

1) Maple
2) Sweet Gum
3) Cypress
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

acco1840

1. Tasmanian Blue Gum
2. Stringy Bark
3 Swap Gum

steamsawyer

Bout all we got in my neighborhood is longleaf yeller pine. Occasionally we might see some cypress but that is getting pretty scarce around here.

Maybe I need to try some palm trees.  8)
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 05, 2012, 10:15:12 AM
Yes I do quarter saw sycamore. I usually don't even mess with a Sycamore log unless it is at least 28 inches.
That snake skin look after quarter sawing is INCREDIBLE.

Well like I said I know where there's a nice 4-footer waiting for you, about 100 miles away. Too big? Too far, anyway, I guess.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

fat olde elf

1. ERC, 2. White Oak 3. Anything that has no metal....
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Cedarman

I just love to saw all 3 of these.

1)   Eastern Red Cedar
2)   Aromatic Red Cedar
3)   Juniperus  Virgianii
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ironwood

Walnut
Walnut
Walnut  ;D

Ironwood (doesnt get big enough to mill, Ironwood. that is)
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

customsawyer

I want to cut what ever big logs Danny finds for me. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

My boss man has an ironwood that is about 10". Not very straight, but I could mill a 5-6' piece out of it if I were determined to.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Cypress Sam

sinker cypress
sinker red sweet gum
blue cotton wood

These paid the bills untill a few years back
SAM

Ironwood

We get'um 10-12" max. Not real interesting once milled. I have split some armrests.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

cutterboy

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 05, 2012, 06:11:05 AM

Oh, by the way, I can't help enjoying how the Aussies name their trees after the kind of bark it has! 

We have our shagbark hickory

1. Black cherry

2. Black birch (smells minty)

3. White birch
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WDH

Those shagbarks look flinty.  Maybe we can find some REALLY big ones for Customsawyer  :D :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: cutterboy on February 06, 2012, 08:20:12 PM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 05, 2012, 06:11:05 AM

Oh, by the way, I can't help enjoying how the Aussies name their trees after the kind of bark it has! 

We have our shagbark hickory

Ok, I guess you got me there! And what would our carpet industry do without it???!!  ;)

submarinesailor

Quote from: WDH on February 06, 2012, 10:13:21 PM
Maybe we can find some REALLY big ones for Customsawyer  :D :D :D.

Danny - I have one for you.  Based on an educated guess, it's still 20" at about 65' up and just as straight as it can be.  But, you have to come to Virginia to get it.  Shot many a squirrels out of it.

Bruce

WDH

Bruce, if it did not have all that lead in it from the squirrel shooting, I would load up and come get it today  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

submarinesailor

Now wait just a minute.........are you trying to say I'm a bad shot or something. :( :( :( :D :D :D  I usually hit what I'm shooting at.  When me and my buddies are squirrel hunting we have standards.  A head shot is one point, a body shot is -1 point and one that shot in the eye counts as 2 points.  Needless to say, I don't get as many 2 pointers as I did back about 25 years ago. ::) ::) ::)  Getting old and fat is a PITA big time.

Bruce

Chuck White

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 04, 2012, 10:39:23 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on February 04, 2012, 09:53:52 PM
I'd love to saw the following if they were 24".

Black Locust

Yellow Birch

Red Cedar
I must say I'm surprised somebody likes to mill black locust. It is a very useful wood, though. I have a couple logs I'm not going to use.

It's not that I love sawing Black Locust (necessarily), it's just that I've never seen one that's 24 inches in diameter.  ;)  So, therefore I'd like to saw one.  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MapleNut

Red Oak
Hard Maple
White Cedar
2005 WM LT40HDG28, 5500 IRON MULE, 272,262,046, & A PIC!

qbilder

Well since I can dream, it would be a spiny all thorn, cats claw acacia, and a desert scrub oak. None get 24" but if they did they'd be stunners.   
God bless our troops

Dodgy Loner

1) Black Cherry
2) Black Walnut
3) River Birch: This is an oddball choice, I know - I've only sawed one tree because it's so hard to find one of decent quality, but if it's a straight 24-incher, then it will produce some of the prettiest wood you'll ever see.

I would put curly/quilted maple on the list, but it doesn't grow within 10 (or even 500) miles of my house, so it doesn't count :'(
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Okrafarmer

Dodgy, I have actually milled one river birch tree. It is hard to find straight sections sometimes, but it is nice. And there are some decent 24-30" specimens around here.

Chuck White, one of the black locust logs I have here is approaching 24". I don't know what to do with it though. Too tough for the bad mill, and been sitting around for more than a year.

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Thank You Sponsors!