iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

norway pine

Started by steve marek, February 04, 2012, 05:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve marek

I'm looking to buy some norway pine to build a solar kiln. I heard they are hard to saw without getting a wavey cut. I have a lt40hd wm 28 hp and woodmizer suggested to use a 5500 4 degree or 7 degree blade. In the past I've had problems with waving when cutting spruce (lots of knots). Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any suggestions?
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

jackpine

Steve
I have sawn a lot of norway (red ) pine on my lt40 25 hp and have found the knots to be only slightly harder than white pine knots, not nearly as bad as spruce. I use 10 deg blades with standard .025 set if they are green and .028 or .030 set if they have been cut for a while. Pitch buildup on the blade is about the same as white pine unless the logs are old and then it tends to be worse so requires more lube. I am starting a red pine job monday with several hundred pulp size logs , will be making 6" x  6" timbers, so if they cut differently I will let you know
Bill

Chuck White

I have sawn thousands of board feet of Red Pine and have found it to be about the same as sawing White Pine.

I have always used 1¼x.045 10°, set at .025 +or- .001 and never had a problem that could really be classified as a problem.

No where near as troublesome as Spruce can be.  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Red pine has the knots spaced about every 2 feet and if you hit a couple on the side at the same time they will deflect your blade sometimes just a little bit.  Keep your feed rate to a reasonable level and it cuts good, trouble is it cuts so easy I push the feed rate too much sometimes.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

Steve, that's the only arguement I have against the Red Pine.

The limbs completely circle the tree, they're not just randomly spaced.

Therefore, Red Pine can be a very poor choice for some construction applications.

Most times when I'm sawing Red Pine, I'm sawing 1 inch boards or 2x4's or 6's.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

millwright

I saw more red pine than anything else and have had no major problems, just use lube and slow down a little for the bigger knots.

eastberkshirecustoms

I have acres and acres of red pine. One benefit to the 'two foot' limb spacing is that you can easily count up to get a (pretty close) approximation on log length or tree height.  I also like that they grow straight and tall, not like Scotch pine, that stuff is all over the place.

Thank You Sponsors!