iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frozen Log or Feed Problem??

Started by mhasel, February 11, 2004, 06:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhasel

Looking for some professional input, I was cutting a Red Oak this past weekend that had been down for a couple of years and ran into following problem that some of the lumbar looks like a washboard?? I also had this happen around the end of the year when I was cutting some Gum but just thought that the blade was dull. I know this shouldn't have been the case this time around since I changed the blade before starting, however we have had some cold weather (below freezing) for the last month. The first few boards looked good but as I got more into the log the problem reappeared and the only thing that helped a bit was to slow the feed rate down very very slow.

Any comments and advice will be welcomed:)

Thanks,
Mike

Percy

Ive never cut Red Oak but have cut lots of frozen wood and it looks like that sometimes. The blade will spit and chatter and wave like the queen. I usually let it thaw(Cut it later) as I dont keep a stock of them frozen log blades. ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ronwood

mhasel,

It looks like to me that you might have some teeth on the blade that is set differently. I have seen ridges on my boards after I hit a nail. I sawed some frozen red oak Monday evening with a 10 deg blade and it seemed to chatter more than the 9 deg blade did tonight.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

woodmills1

I agree, that telltale line across the surface says that at the very least you have one tooth that is way off.  I have sometimes found a blade that will leave a mark but still cut ok, but not if there are other things going on.  Most times if the blade is leaving those marks there will be problems.  Very early on in my sawing experience it dawned on me that the major secret to small bandmills is the blade.  My decision was to sharpen and set my own so that I wouldn't get too upset if I needed to change to a new one after a small amount of bd ft.  There are so many things that will put hurt on a blade, junk in or under bark, bumping the blade into something, ice, dirt, rocks, nails, and more.  Then as I said on another post yesterday there are a few logs that swwm to have some wicked cross grain that the blade just ends up following.  Probably needed a different set or hook angle to be successful with them.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Engineer

Frozen pine that I have been cutting looks just like that.  Slow the feed rate way down.  I was more concerned with waves in the board than the washboard effect.  Planer will take that out.  Got to make sure the logs are clean, too.

raycon

I've been swapping my blades out when I get that. I attribute it to the set being off on a few teeth caused by debris -- usually cause I did not debark.The logs I've been sawing have mostly been white oak, hickory,maple and frozen. It occurred once when I gunked up the bandwheel with ice --could barely see it but it was enough to get that effect .

Using the 10degree double hards because thats all I have to cut frozen logs.

I'm almst through a box of double hards now and will go through each band and resharpen. If its happening just cause the logs are frozen that'll save some time.  
No professional answer for your question but I'm getting the same results cutting frozen logs that have not been debarked.
Lot of stuff..

Norwiscutter

When ever it gets below freezing, I ensure that I am useing RV antifreeze or windshield washer fluid for lube to keep anything from iceing up.  Have been useing the double hard 10's and have had no difference in production or feed speed. Sawing White and Red pine, and White Cedar and have had no trouble with Knots. Gotta ensure that the dirt is off em though.  Cutting pine I have always maxed out the blade tension and never had problems with wavy cuts until the blade gets dull.  Seam to consistantly be getting 800-1200 ft per blade, unless of course I hid something unexpected.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Swede

I need to feed slowly untill the blade is 2" in the kerf or I get a wavy cut there. Is it normal or do I have bad band guides?

I always use "Swede-mix" ( Diesel fuel/oil, 50/50) ::)
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Kevin_H.

Like Woodmills and ronwood said my best guess would be that you hit something, I can see two lines close together on your board

You may also look for a tooth that may have some sap build up on it, It will be on the under side of the blade, We get this alot when we are cutting hickory, A couple of teeth get a build up on the under side where the lube has a harder time getting to.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Minnesota_boy

That pattern says that you have some dull teeth on your blade.  The giveaway is the darker color on the ridge as it is a burn mark.  To make that mark at the width it appears to be says 3 to 4 teeth in a row are dull then a couple more a bit farther on the blade to make the light colored ridge inbetween the dark ones.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!