iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mac 10-10 automatic

Started by shinnlinger, February 03, 2012, 07:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

Recently acquired one.  Told it ran fine but clutch went out, a few questions:
#1 is it worth fixing/can it be fixed? (ie parts found) 

#2 does anyone here want it more than me?  Can be had for donation to forum and shipping unless I am convinced to keep it by responses to #1  Pm me your offer to the forum and I will take highest bidder assuming there are any.

Responses to #1 may be influenced by the following information.  Any  saw beats an ax but I already have 4 other running, similar vintage/sized saws.  A johny sp49, a partner f-55 and 1-1/2 stihl 041 AVs.  I also have a newer johny 2054.  Point is i don't NEED another chain saw.

Thanks,

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Clam77

Who told you you don't NEED another chainsaw??   :D

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Ironwood

Thought that might be a gun,...DUH.

I got it McCollough.  :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Al_Smith

Well depends on what you want to do it and weather it's a left hand start or right hand start .

The right hand is the older model and the clutch mechanism is harder to find .The left hand is easy to find a clutch for .

So it's a firewood cutter ,not extremely fast ,most vibrate to the point they  make your hands go  numb .That said it's a dependable old goat being probabley 30 plus years old most likely they still get the job done .Not rare nor valuable .--there ya go  Mac 10-10 trivia .

Of all the 10-10s' which is one of the longest production runs of any saw model ,the last series is the most desireable .It's 3.5 cubic inchs where as the earlier were 3.3 cu. in .Fact I have one of the very last of this model ever made and it looks brand new .Then again I'm a collecter where most aren't .

mad murdock

ProMac 10-10 was one of the first saws I used when I started logging. I had one (L H start) ran it over with the cat a few years back, killed it :(
I have a R H start 10-10, good old saws keep on going and going. There is an old guy down in Calif. who had purchased all the factory stock of parts when Mac shut their doors as name was sold and moved offshore. He has got quite a bit of stuff.  Wallenberg sales 800 225 4756
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Al_Smith

There's a few people who have NOS but seeings they aren't sponsors ,just Google it .For that matter flea bay has a lot .On a 10-10 you can usually find a donor saw cheaper than just a few parts .

Warbird

Quote from: Ironwood on February 03, 2012, 07:45:35 PM
Thought that might be a gun,...DUH.

I got it McCollough.  :D

Ironwood

I thought the same thing!  LOL  I was going to ask if it was full auto.

lumberjack48

I bought a new 10-10 back in 66, it was a right hand start. I just gave away a R-H start. all it needed was a fuel line.

R-H start

L-H start

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Back in the day we used to take those old 10-10's ,righty or lefties and cover the handles with rubber pipe insulation .If you didn't most of them vibrated so bad you couldn't feel your finger tips after 10 minutes .

For reasons unknown the newer 10-10's plus the 70 CC like the 6-10 ,7-10 and 700 didn't shake rattle and roll so badly .

When they came out with a PM 610 and later PM 650 they had anti vibe plus would cut circles around a 10-10 although they were quite a bit heavier .

lumberjack48

The 10-10 i bought in 66 had a MuCulloch carb. They were flat and long and worthless, or maybe i didn't understand it.
I know a lot of guys converted over to a Tillotson carb, they were a pretty good saw then. The one i gave away had been converter over.

I was strip cutting Tamarack with the 10-10, i liked it, light, and fast compared to a XL-12 Homey. It was flooded all the time, and after it got hot it wouldn't start.
I traded it in for a 601 Jonsered, the 601 was a sweet little saw back in its time.
                 Heres a pic of the 601, $165. new

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

The little "bull frog "carbs were a variation of the Walbro MAC flatback which was a POS also .

I'm thinking most of my 10 series Macs use a Walbro of which I can never remember the model numbers .SDC ,WAC maybe ????

shinnlinger

Well here she is....  I'm waffaling between reviving it for the challenge or sending it to you Al, no charge for all the great advice you have given us all....  Say the word and its yours.

Dave
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

I guess photo won't go from phone right now but I would guess mine is newer than those pictured r
Shinnlinger

Al_Smith

Thanks but I'll decline as I have I think 5 intact and Lord only knows how many in pieces .

Funny I have I forgoten how many right hand start that I robbed the crankshafts from  to keep a 6-10 which a right hand start 70 cc running at 15,600 RPM WOT .I'm kind of slow at times but after I changed the darn flywheel I have not broke a crank since . ::)

That saw is story in itself .It's an unbridged exhaust iron cylinder that uses the same triple transfers that a 10-10 uses with pinned rings and a full skirt windowed piston .

I've been fiddling with it for years to out run a Stihl,came close but haven't quite got it yet .I'll hang an 8 tooth on it the next GTG and see what that does .--Silly maybe  just something I do . Ha if it were easy anyone could do it . ;)

Seriously that 10-10 would make a nice occasional use firewooder for someone .If they aren't straight gassed they run almost forever .

shinnlinger

Ok Al you got me pumped up to try to bring her back.  To those that pm'd me, I promise that if I haven't touched it in a couple months I will flip a coin and see who gets it.
Dave
Shinnlinger

Al_Smith

Okay here you go then if you're going to replace the clutch .

Several styles were made .The most common is the one with a key way  .The later models had no key way and ran on just the taper .It was found that eliminating the key way proved to be a much better method because splitting of the crankshaft key way was a common problem .

At any rate you can't of course interchange the clutch styles by eliminating the key .If it has a key use a keyed clutch and vica versa .

There was a complete drive system of the clutch,clutch drum ,spacer washers and rim sprocket on flea bay recently for under 20 bucks FWIW .If you go that route I'd suggest you ask the seller what style it is .Good luck .

Al_Smith

A couple for things just for general info .The right hand start models had the starter dogs built into the clutch spider .They're just pinned and can be interchanged with left start clutch by transfered the start mechanism .

Now a left start crankshaft is left hand threaded on the clutch side .A righty is right hand thread .You can't interchange them else you'll unscrew the clutch given enough time  by starting it .Not good .--Mac 10-10 trivia ---

Thank You Sponsors!