iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tool Box

Started by Jeff, January 14, 2001, 08:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Hey! We added a new feature to the site and would like your feedback. It's called The Timber Toolbox. It is a series of small javascipt programs. You can use them on the site, or simply save the page to your hard drive to use off line.

We plan on adding several more in the future. The Idea came from woodtick, and we have been working together on this. I program and he cracks the whip and keeps me on target.

Let us know what you think, and I hope you find them useful.

Also please submit any ideas you have for future tools. (Keep em simple, remember who your dealing with)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Here's A sneak preview for our next tool. There are a lot of hours in this one! Tree Volume Calculator

Last modification: admin - 01/28/01 at 19:08:17

Ron Scott

Yes, a lot of work. Let me know when its all debugged and ready for use.

Last modification: Ronald E. Scott - 01/28/01 at 20:39:02
~Ron

Jeff

what do you mean debugged? I was hoping it was. try it! Your elected as a tester! Report good findings here, bad findings to Woodtick. HEE HEe

We both worked on this one...

Forester Frank

This is the kind of interactive stuff that is good for the site, and good for information. Keep up the good work Jeff.

By the way - it works well.
Forester Frank

Jeff

I have added a new calculator to the toolbox. Use it to estimate the number of trees per acre at a specified spacing.
Click Here!

Forester Frank

Jeff:

this is an excellent tool for foresters (not the Subaru type) and landowners. Thanks for all the effort to make our effort less.

I bet Ron Scott has had a lot of experience planting red pine at different intervals and measuring growth rates. Right Ron?
Forester Frank

Jeff

New Calculator!

Hardwood pulpwood volumes. Get it at http://www.timberbuyer.net/pulp.htm

arina

::)

Hi, I am new to this group and have not quite figured it out, sorry if my message is posted in a wrong place.
I am a student of Landscape Architecture at the University of New Mexico, currently working on a class project in which my client (a small low income community) is interested in growing valuable timber. I am trying to find out prices on black walnut timber, so we can figure out if there is adequate acreage to produce income.
Any other valuable timber species for USDA zone 10 (elev. 5000', hot, dry, windy, soil pH 8.5).

Please advise.

thanks
arina

Jeff

Hi Arina,

Welcome to the board!

I will re-post your opening question so as it will have it's own heading. The forum is a little confusing at first, but it soon becomes second nature. What you do to start a new topic is this, Select what folder you think would be most appropriate (that's completely up to you)General, logging, ask the forester,etc.. Then select the button that says "New Thread" I don't know who decided that a thread means topic, but that's the way these boards work.

I will start your new topic under ask the forester and call it "Growing Valuable Timber."

Jeff

O.K. Netscape Nuts, The Toolbox calculators have been debugged for you, so if you skoffed before,go, and skoff no more!

Jeff

A new Calculator has been added to the toolbox.  
It's a Tree VALUE calculator. This is a hybred of our tree volume calculator, only this one includes variables for tree grade, price, and conversion costs. (Instructions included on this one!)  

http://www.timberbuyer.net/toolbox.htm

Bill Johnson

Jeff:
Since you are such a wizard at building tools perhaps you can help me with one.
I am looking for a method of calculating treelength cull factors.
Right now I use two methods, one involves calculating average ages for working groups only.
The other method employs spreadsheets and using the total stand composition, site class, age, area and stocking it eventually gives me cull by species.
The MNR has a cull factor manual but you have to have and accurate age to use it properly.

Chew this over, and let me know what you think. I'm out for the rest of the week, Thurs. at a course, and Friday in the field.
If you need more info. or a better explanation of what I'm looking for drop me a line and I'll try to get something to you either this weekend or next week.

Bill
8)
Bill

Jeff

Bill,
send Ron Wenrich and I both a full explanation of what your talking about, with all formulas, input required, output desired, etc. We will mull it over and see if we think it's "do-able"

Jeff

Ron?? I da sawyer. I da co-programmer I dun know what cull factors are...

Jeff

Ron and I are working on a new calculator, well sort of a calculator. I don't even now what function or benefit it may have, but here is a link to the very beginings of it.

It is a scientific name finder for trees. I have just started proggraming in the data, and only have added very few entries to what will eventually include darn near every tree in the U.S.A!

www.timberbuyer.net/topics/scientificnames.htm

Useful? Entertaining? Waste of time?

Tom

It may be useful if you need to get in step with other people so you are all talking about the same tree. Most of us haven't got that kind of cross reference.  Sounds like a lot of typing to me.

It would be most useful if it were an index to write ups about trees and shrubs so you could find out the particulars to a plant if you knew either popular or scientific name.  Perhaps ultimately you could link names to nomenclature to economics and markets.

Right now I can't think of how I would use it.

Can we still use "Ask the Forester"?   :)

Kevin

Jeff;
It wouldn`t serve any purpose for me, I`m more interested in tree identification.
It would be handy for someone studying the different species perhaps.

Tom

Just a thought.  A subject that you might put in the back of your head to work on on a rainy day would be poisons.

It might be difficult to keep updated but I'm always being asked what to use on boards for borers, termites, fungus, etc.  

People want to know what herbacides do what and what's available.

You may just have to link somewhere else like the manufacturers but that info would be nice to have.

Gordon

Well as usual I think that you and Ron are on to something. The start of something that is. Do the list then branch off into a tree id. Good thinking.

Gordon

Ron Scott

Jeff,
A lot of work on this one for who may need regular use of it, especially when tree identification and species specifics are wanted. There are a lot of links to this information such as The Silviculture of North America; Michigan SAF; Steve Shook' Library etc.
~Ron

Kevin

Jeff

Thats a heck of a site Kevin Thanks! I will have to add some links to it.

Thank You Sponsors!