iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Long Log Flasher

Started by Magicman, February 13, 2012, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I am beginning to see amber flashers in addition to the red flag on long logs.  It does catch your attention where just the red flag might not.  Is this use widespread and/or being mandated?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kiko

lumberjack48

The trucker that hauled for me 20 yrs ago, took a 2 lb coffee can and mounted a light in it. He would screw it on the longest pole, it was hooked to the trailer lights, it served as running light and brake light.

They should do something, you can't see the red rag.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

timbuck2

The Creeper Cops are out of control.

a old timberjack

H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Side loader

Majicman, here in our state it's mandatory for running at night.  But the flashers my trucker uses on the rear are red,not amber which should be the correct color for the rear.
Side loader log truck w/492 Detroit, bell super T feller buncher, Barko 160 with JD power, Kubota M4900 with brush raker grapple on front and shop built bunching grapple on back. JD 350B Dozer; JD 548D skidder;  and a couple of saws.

WDH

The laws for lights at the ends of the logs on tree length loads are not consistent state to state.  Like has been said, it is the law in Georgia, night or day.  Maybe Mississippi has a new law mandating it?  Either way, it is a good idea, especially at dawn or dusk and at night.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

Alberta requires the amber flashers on the cab as well as a flag during the day and a pole light at night. Still doesn't stop the morons trying to go around as the truck turns off the highway. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bandmill Bandit

the morons is why those idiots run in to log, oilfield, and farm equipment in this province and then try to blame the 3 industries for their own stupidity when they get injured or kill hard working people in our 3 most valuable industries.

About 3 years ago I was approaching a super B of lumber that was just getting ready to turn into the local lumber yard. I pulled to the center of the road and stopped with flashers on grabbed my flagging vest and sign and got out of my truck and stopped traffic behind me to give the trucker room and keep things safe for every body. The trucker saw that he had the extra room he needed as a result and pulled completely into the left hand lane with signals on and started to make his turn. This young women in a rush tried to pass him on the right side in a little Pontiac fire fly. The back wheels of the front trailer went over her hood just ahead of the wind shield and she at least had the presence of mind to dive for the other door and get out before the back wheels stopped about half way into the drivers door. She came around the truck just screaming the vilest verbal diarrea you ever heard at the truck driver.

When we told her that she was in the wrong she just lost it and called the cops and then her dad.
I had already call the cell of one of the local police officers that was just across the tracks about 200 yards away filling his car with gas. He was close enough and in the right place to watch the entire event and was on his way over even if I hadn't called him.

He had already radioed another cruiser to come in from the east side to block the road and re route traffic before any one even called the police. Being one of the senior police officers he knew the girls family and came over to her and asked her to come get the back of his cruiser for her own good. She was in shock and he knew it even though she wasn't hurt. the ambulance got there about 5 minutes later and she was shaking so bad that she couldn't even get out of the cruiser by her self when they went to check her over.

She simply could not believe that she was in the wrong and had caused the accident even though the whole area is posted to watch for wide turning trucks. And the trucks have wide turn signs on the back and on the sides and signal lights along the sides of the trailers.

Some times you wonder what these young people learn in drivers ed.       

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

Both of the ones that I have seen were late in the evening which makes sense.  Since long logs are hard to distinguish when overtaking a truck, they were really good eye catchers. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

brendonv

I have a question which I think is along the lines of the original post.

What is the legal stick out, of logs past the end of the trailer?  I think I've heard four feet if ends are painted.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Magicman

I found a local supplier for flashers.  He said that he sells Amber flashers to Mississippi and Red flashers to Louisiana haulers.  I'll get an Amber one when his next shipment comes in.

I also did some internet searching and found two suppliers that looked promising:  Flasher and Flasher

timbuck2

Hopefully they don't wear long overcoats. 8)

WDH

In Georgia, I believe that the rule is that the truck, trailer, and load cannot extend beyond 75 feet total length.  I do not think there is a separate rule for the logs except that if they extend past four feet, you are required to have a load light at the end of the logs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Side loader

I was told no more than 27' from the rear axle. I would imagine it varies from state to state.
Side loader log truck w/492 Detroit, bell super T feller buncher, Barko 160 with JD power, Kubota M4900 with brush raker grapple on front and shop built bunching grapple on back. JD 350B Dozer; JD 548D skidder;  and a couple of saws.

Bandmill Bandit

Just checked the Regs here and the Published info (2009) is 1.5 metres so a bit more than 4 feet and over, requires 2 red streamers in the day time and 2 red flasher night time at either side of the protruding load.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Dave VH

I don't haul a lot of long logs, but I do haul a lot of long ladders and walk planks.  I was told the the rule in Indiana, and Michigan where I usually am is anything more than 4' past the bumber needs a red flag.  I think that there is even a rule on how much surface area the flag has to have in order to qualify.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thank You Sponsors!