iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill birthday, well sort of....

Started by Jim_Rogers, February 01, 2012, 02:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

It was 18 years ago today that I picked up my mill at WM northeast in NY.
We sawed our first logs the next day.

I remember staying over at a local b&b the night before and it was snowing there. Lake effect snow.
I remember asking the guys at NY how much snow did they get from "lake effect" snow, 3 or 4 inches.
Their reply was 3 or 4 inches per hour, more likely.

I think I'll give my mill a birthday threat and go saw up a nice red oak log......

Jim Rogers
Jim Rogers Sawmill, 18 years old and still going sawing.

PS. I can always remember how old my sawmill is as my daughter was born about six weeks later.
My wife was a little nervous about me being away from home, when I went to pick up my mill.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

dukndog

WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Chuck White

Congratulations on the mill of 18 years, Jim

I know there are some things a fellow just remembers.

I remember I bought my mill May 3rd, 2008, just 20 days before I found the Forestry Forum.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Jim,

I just came from the WM shop in Hannibal, NY,  should have been in the area 2 days ago,
3 feet of snow in like 14 hours!  Google Redfield, NY and Lake Effect snow, 2007 was a smasher of a year for L.E. snow

Does the day you purchased = day papers were signed or the day the mill came home?

Best
DGDrls

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Congrats JIM.....My mill will be 1 year old in 8 more days.

If you would ilke to send my mill a present, it is registered at LOGRITE, WOODMIZER.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

cypresskayaksllc

Been exactly one year for me. Picked it up in Dothan AL. Smoked a couple cigars on the ride back.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: dgdrls on February 01, 2012, 05:35:07 PM
Jim,

Does the day you purchased = day papers were signed or the day the mill came home?

Best
DGDrls

I think we, my brother and I, traveled out on the 31st, stayed overnight at the b&b and then went to WM for our training. We did the morning on sharpening blades. After lunch they showed us how to fold up the mill and how to set it up. We sawed one log maybe.
Then we drove it home. That was a long late night driving 6 hours or more back from NY with the mill in tow with a four cylinder Chevy s-10 pickup.
So, yes I paid for the mill on the first as I remember it.
My mother gave me the money which was to be my inheritance so that I could buy the mill outright with no payments.
It is still in her back yard making lumber.

Thanks for all your kind words.

Jim Rogers

PS And very funny David..... ::)
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bill Gaiche

Cograts Jim, You surley have cut a bunch of lumber in that many years. Just keep on cuttin  and eatin birthday cake. bg

Thank You Sponsors!