iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

manifold keeps cracking...what to do??

Started by fuzzybear, January 31, 2012, 11:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzybear

I have for the last three winters had to replace the manifold on my MS-270.  As soon as the temperature hit-35 I can only run it for about an hour at a time. The material they are made of can not handle the cold, it just cracks through with the vibration.
  I bring the saw inside every day and keep it running while I'm working. When I shut it off I put it by the fire to keep it warm. As long as I don't run it for more than an hour at a time I'm ok. But it went to -48 and this manifold lasted 3 min. It takes me a min, of 1 weeks to receive parts and they are expensive little pos.
  Now my question is this, can I wrap some insulation around the manifold to help insulate it? Or would this create to much of a hot spot on the cylinder? 
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

T Welsh

fuzzybear, I will not complain about cutting in cold weather again ;D God bless you and keep you warm.As for the saw and its intake manifold,I would ask the same question to Stihl,s R&D dept.
http://www.stihlusa.com/contact.php
Explain your problem to them,they might have a solution.This is a question for a mechanical engineer. Tim

lumberjack48

My 034 / 044 had a winter kit that you were supposed to use in cold weather, it had a opening between the cylinder head and carb, a piece that coved half the rewind cover and a boot that went over the air cleaner.

I used Duck tape, i coved half the rewind cover with it, then the space between the saw and air cleaner, i Duck taped that, never had a problem, i ran at -40 with it.
I also had put a little Heet in the gas to keep the throat of the carb from icing up.

Sucking to much cold air at once.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Clam77

My 362 came with a little black peice that switches between fresh air and "preheated" air - it covers that opening that lumberjack is talking about (I think it's standard with the MS saws).

I believe they still sell the winter kit also - think it's called "Arctic kit" now maybe..
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

shelbycharger400

dont wrap the manifold... it will condensate and rust out fast.

Thank You Sponsors!