iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I should have been a bit more inquisitive

Started by Ernie, January 31, 2012, 10:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

I really should pay more attention to what is going on in my neighbourhood.  Yesterday, I went out to the road to get my mail from the mail box and the road was blocked with trucks.  We are on the only highway north out of or into our province so the traffic is pretty heavy.  I could see a trailer overturned about 50 meters up the road and didn't bother to be nosey.  What a mistake!!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/6344994/Beer-wasted-as-trailer-blocks-highway

About 15 years ago the same thing happened in the exact same place only it was the trailer of a stock truck full of cattle going to the works (meat processing plant).Most were ok but there were two that were pretty lame.  They asked me if I wanted them because it was cheaper to give them away than have them put down and removed.  They could still walk so I gently pushed them into my place, let them live quietly and heal up then ate one and sold the other.

I sure could have used a few cases of beer!!
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

I saw that on the news page, and recognised where it was.

Thought the reason you hadn't been online was that you were down there "helping to tidy up the mess"  ;) :D

Sure less of a mess than the Offal truck they went over up at Awakino a couple of years back...  :o

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Den Socling

Please don't tell me that it was Monteith's!  :'(

Weekend_Sawyer

"...went down the gurgler"

Never heard that one before, does it mean gutter or drain?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Den Socling

How about Judder bar? Ever hear that one? Ernie. What do you call auto body shops? Is it fender bangers or something like that?

Ianab

Quote from: Den Socling on February 01, 2012, 11:36:36 AM
How about Judder bar? Ever hear that one? Ernie. What do you call auto body shops? Is it fender bangers or something like that?

Close  :D
PanelBeater.

Heck if it had been a truck load of Monteiths we would have had to declare a national day of mourning  :'(

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom L

reminds me of the time I was 19 and renting a house with three other guys. we were having a party on a saturday afternoon. the house had around 10 people in it,
we heard a huge crash and went to the front door. a budweiser truck lost it on the curve in front of the house and side doors came open spilling at least 50 cases of beer on the front lawn.
we thought it was christmas

we all ran over to the truck and made sure the driver was all right. and by the time we figured out he was ok the cops pulled up. the one cop looked at me and said "don't even think about it"   one of the more disappointing things that happened at that house
we never had a drop from that wreck. I think the cops took it all.

Ernie

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on February 01, 2012, 10:54:09 AM
"...went down the gurgler"

Never heard that one before, does it mean gutter or drain?

Jon
Usually it means drain.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Den Socling

And a Judder bar is...............................a speed bump!

Ernie

Quote from: Den Socling on February 01, 2012, 11:36:36 AM

Ian answered the panel beater 8) and judder bars are just a great inconvenience no matter what you call them :)

We have all kinds of weird saying that I have learned since I got here over 40 years ago.  Things like, "I am feeling a little crook"  has nothing to do with the digital manipulation of thieves but means feeling a bit unwell  which of course makes one a bit grizzley.

moosehunter

When my Dad was a police officer there was an accident one night that involved a delivery truck. The truck had a few thousand pounds of frozen shrimp in it. The company decided they couldn't keep it frozen properly and asked the officer in charge ( my dad) if he could make sure it was disposed of properly!! :D The officers on the scene loaded as much as they could in their patrol cars, back seat - trunk, everywhere, then called the local food pantry and had them come pick up the rest!
We ate shrimp for a year!!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Den Socling on February 01, 2012, 10:21:18 AM
Please don't tell me that it was Monteith's!  :'(

Mmmm...Monteith's. I tried to find it in the US of A after my trip to New Zealand, but no such luck :'(
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Bogue Chitto

When I was at Mississippi State the police would have late road blocks looking for drunk drivers.  We would go the next morning an collect all of the Beer that was tossed out of the windows. 8) :D.  We would have all kinds of beer but we where set for at least a week. ;D

Taylortractornut

BC you and I must be related.            COmming back from wet TN to dry Tish county  if we saw a road block Id get out and walk the road ditches to.          I actually was  struck by a flying six pack of South Paw/    Might as well been  a bag of   poo.            I was was working in Athens Al one time and had a Budwieser truck lose it in front of our site.   We took a loader down there and  cleaned up for free and took off the damged product.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Thank You Sponsors!