iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer Project

Started by RSteiner, February 11, 2004, 05:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

walkin beams on chopper+unloader wagons
used on disks makes for a smooth feild
on the  DMI cultivator their offset, helps with those 180's in the headlands 8)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Haytrader

Swamp Donkey,

NOT!!!!!!!!!

Me thinks you were the CCofC

(class clown of Canada)

:D  ;D  :D  ;D
Haytrader

SwampDonkey

Haytrader:

Glad your having fun  :-/ ;D

Loooook closer and learn sumthin today ;)  ;D

That's what is on my father's sprayer built by BWS. But sharp turns would weeken the weld of the wheel spindles so he had to get out the welder once a year.

Call it what you will ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RSteiner

To All,

I am no expert on these matters but from what I know the type or style of axle I made it is more like a walking beam.

On larger trailers a walking beam axle has both wheels on the same beam.  However the pivot point is not centered on the beam it is forward of center some amount.  This allows for better tracking.  On these units the amount of travel is usually limited to some amount less than the 18 inches mine can move.

I Think a true bogie system uses spring or torsion bars to dampen and balance the wheel action as they encounter bumps. Some double wide snow mobile trailers use this type of set up.

I built this axle beam with the pivot in the center, because I didn't know any beter and because I didn't plan on pulling it with anything but my tractor.  Top speed of the tractor may be 14 miles per hour.

The pivot point of the beam is located about 60% of the trailer length form the front.  I wanted to have some tounge weight for traction purposes when the trailer was loaded.  Time will tell where I need to make alterations.  It was a fun project to plan and build I have plans for another one soon for my brother-in-law.

Randy
Randy

SwampDonkey

And the verdict is....'walking beam' errr bogie

hmmm  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ADfields

Well the term "bogie" is truly a slang term from back in the days of chain drive duel axles that had one 3rd member axle with sprockets in place of wheels.   The sprockets drove a loop of chain that drove all the wheels on that side of the truck.   The bogie axle was often also the pivot point of the tandems (not always) and acted as the trunnion pin, so in time the two names became mixed up and now the center of two axles is referred to as the "bogie" more then anything.   You find the wheel base of a 3 axle truck from the steer axle to the bogie, center of the front axle to center between the drive axles.  

Hear is a link to a "true" bogie axle and you wont find this on a road truck! ;)
http://www.dana.com/offhighway_systems/products/150_150R_axle.pdf

Haytrader, your right also. ;)   The stubby axles on a 16 tire lowboy are also called bogie axles in trucker slang.   If you have a flat on one of them DanG things it's a -----------well Jeff dont like that trucker slang hear! :D :D :D

I hope I did not mess us up more with to much info. :D :D
Andy

SwampDonkey

Well that's what I drew up there from side view, only my wheels aren't out on the end. Both sides act independent don't they? I knew that Bernie called them bogie on his sprayers.  ;D

RSteiner

SwampDonkey,

Both side are independant.  I have seen several small trailers made like this here is one that is made in Canada.
http://www.novajack.com/en/0102.htm

There is another company that makes larger units.
http://www.valbysales.com/newpage134.htm

These and other trailers I have seen were my inspiration.
Randy

ADfields

It's a true bogie axle because it's a drive (all full of gears inside) axle not because it's got a trunnion pivot point.
Andy

SwampDonkey

Adfields

Thanks for clarification. Then the only place id stick those would be on a locamotive. Making alot of sharp turns is gonna break the wheel spindles off with a heavy load. ;)

RSteiner

I was a concerned that making sharp turns with a full load would stress the pivot joint.  I was not too concerned about the spindles breaking from the weight on them.

The spindles came from a Dodge Caravan, the stub axle unbolts from the axle beam with four 1/2 inch bolts.  I did have to make a spacer to go between the 2X4 square steel tubing beam I used for the "Walking Beam" member.  I used grade 8 bolts to attach the axles to the walking beam.

I figure 1/2 cord of red oak will weigh in around 1600 +/- pounds.  The trailer has about 200 pounds of steel in it and another 200 pounds of tires and wheels, I guess.  So 2000 pounds spread out over 4 tires should be less weight than thier first life on the Caravan.

I used a 1 1/2 inch diameter grade 5 bolt which I drilled to accept a grease fitting for the pivot.  The other side of the pivot is made out of 1/2" thick plates of steel.  I have a back up plan if these are not strong enough.

Many of the "store bought" trailers I looked at were not as near as beefy as what I made and they were rated for a 2,000 pound load.  All the major suspension parts are 2X4 steel tubing with a 3/16 wall thickness.  The frame is 2x3X 1/8 steel tubing except for the tounge which is 3/16 wall tubing.

History will tell where I have failed.  So far I have hauled about 6 cord of wood, can't wait for spring to get a little more experience on this thing.

Randy
Randy

Haytrader

SwampDonkey,

Well, no better way to say it. You said if I looked close I would learn something today. You were alsolutely correct.
My apologies to you. You DID know what you were talking about.

I wish I could draw as well as Teach on here. I would try to draw what we call a bogie down here, but..........I can't.......yet.  ;) I would be able to show what I was describing. I called the trailer mfg. I mentioned and he said they quit useing them. I know a guy that still has one here and will try to get pics.

Oh, and I was just trying to be humorus. Maybe you couldn't see me smiling.  Just take me with a grain of salt.
 :-*

Found this interesting link that mentions bogie.

http://mars.sgi.com/rover/mobility.html

Haytrader

SwampDonkey

Haytrader:

I never get worked up over things said over the internet ;)  ;D

Everyone has an opinion; soon have to fill the salt shaker back up :)

cheers

karl

RS-
Like your trailer
sounds rugged enough for that size tractor, on the other hand -ain't nothin' can't be broke.
Half cord of green oak probably weighs more like 2600# me thinks.
Like the van spindle idea, learnin' all the time.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Duane_Moore

Wow, did not mean to be the class clown, just being dumb. have run a Hendreckson susp on truck and Racor and on & on, the Hendreckson was the ruffest DanG susp I ever was in, they are built for heavy eqpt. Need them on the Haul road. huh AD.Fields? many trailers are built with pre stress in them nowdays, most Alum.flatbeds and grain trailers have it, by the way Haytrader, see you have a grain trailer, do you raise Wheat? Have a guy I know at Bucklin, Kansas, at the co-op. A lot of farm summer fallow equiptment use the walking beam axel system. they don"t seam to have to much spindle trouble and they turn sharp, and carry a heavy load, the trailer RS built looks plenty tuff for a small trailer. I think he done a DanG good Job.  JMO.  Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Haytrader

Duane,

Yepper on the wheat. That is mostly what we raise with a little milo and alfalfa hay.
Bucklin is only 40 miles from me.
Haytrader

rebocardo

Thanks for all the great links, I certainly learned a lot and have some more information on my next trailer.

SwampDonkey

Cheers to all those who run their own welding and repair shops throughout rural areas of the country (s).

We sure are fortunate to have alot of fine folks like yourselves around here locally that can weld and build trailors, fix'em up, and build projects from our ideas. Sometimes with alot of good modifications to our concepts. Can really save someone with a limited budget alot of $$ and heartache.

:)  :)  :)

Frank_Pender

I agree with you a 100% SwampDonkey.  It is like minded people you speak of that keeps this economy and country what it is. 8)
Frank Pender

ADfields

QuoteNeed them on the Haul road. huh AD.Fields?   JMO.  Duh---Duane

Not me! :o   I like air ride. ;)   Airbags do better in the severe cold of the Haul Road.
Andy

Thank You Sponsors!