iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer Project

Started by RSteiner, February 11, 2004, 05:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSteiner

I recently made a trailer to help in the fire wood gathering process.  Some of the design parameters were, it had to hold about 1/2 cord or 64 cubic feet of wood.  The wheel width could not be wider than the rear tires of the tractor, and I had to be able to reach across form one side to the other to make loading easier.

I wanted a body that was 8 feet long for some other hauling tasks.  The body is just under 4 feet wide, tire width prevented a full 4 feet.  The sides are about 18" high.

I will attempt to post a few pictures.  I wanted a tandem wheel arrangement to reduce ground pressure in the woods but wanted an axle system that kept both wheels on the ground as much as possible and prevented the trailer form tipping side to side as it passed over bumps in the woods.

Randy

Randy

redpowerd

looks like a mini IDEAL dump wagon!
mines 5'8"x10'
wont track behind tractor
the tandem is handy untill turnin real sharp, like skiddin with the brakes.
mostly, we use ours for pickin rocks, gets loads of abuse!

nice trailer!
it would look nice behind my red 6x6 ranger!
does it dump?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Stump Jumper

looks nice & handy. good job 8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

OneWithWood

Definately looks like it will fill the bill.  Good job.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shopteacher

Outstanding!  I like the way you constructed the axle to ride over things and keep both tires on the ground. Is that a MF your pulling it with?  I'll bet it will look even better on dry, warm , green grass.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

RSteiner

Redpowerd,

I plan to make it a dump trailer soon.  For now we are in the testing phase to see what I can break.  The second trip out into the woods, 1 mile out on an old logging trail, brought back about 1/2 cord of red oak which was green, no problems so far.

The skidding action you mention was a concern.  If I am going over the lawn or a sensitive area I make sure the truns are not sharp.  I found by increasing tire pressure the damage done to the ground is less.  

Randy
Randy

SwampDonkey

RSteiner:

Nice little trailor you have there. You will find that if you do alot of sharp turns that you'll be using the welder on the carriage. Father found that out with his sprayer, when he had alot of sharp turns on the headlands. But it would have been alot heavier than your trailor loaded with water. Still a  8) little trailor.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RSteiner

Shopteacher,

That is a Kubota L3000DT doing the pulling, the pictures came out a little on the red side.  We are waiting for the green grass and warm weather to arrive here in New Hampshire, as they say good things are worth waiting for.

Randy
Randy

shopteacher

Randy,
    I was thinking about how you might modify your trailer so as not to tear things up on a turn and drew a little rendition of what I thought might work. I don't know if this would be feasable to modify your trailer, but it may spark some other ideas that will.

Bill_B

That looks like a very handy trailer.
Way to go.
Bill B

rebocardo

Nice. Is each wheel on its own spring and hanger or do you have a 'boogie" type set up where the front and rear wheel share a middle hanger on a pivot?

SwampDonkey

rebocardo

Looks like a boogie system but I'll let the creator fill us in. ;)

cheers to RSteiner

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I wonder how it would work if the articulation was at the front of the trailor on one X with draw bar attached and mount another X under the trailor slightly back from centre of gavity. Load the trailor heavier toward the front.

just another idea

Haytrader

Nice job on the firewood trailer Red. Looks very practical and fits the tractor well.

As long as we are on trailers we have made, here are some I have put together.

This is a flatbed gooseneck my son and I built. We use this to haul cedar logs on. It is 8'x24'

These are self unloading round bale trailers.

Haytrader

shopteacher

Nice work Haytrader. Got any plans for a skidsteer trailer?

SwampDonkey

Haytrader

Both nice designs also.  Do you have posts for the rear of the log trailor? I live near a few industrial shops that make trailors and frames. One is BWS, I'll see alot of their trailors in the NE states and eastern Canadian provinces. They built most all the trailors for logging trucks around here.

cheers

Haytrader

Teach,

Plans?   If you call a scetch on a legal pad a plan I do.... :D

Swamp,

No posts for the back but do the sides. I have some pics from a 35mm of the trailer loaded. Some of the logs were sticking out the back about 6'. If I can find a scanner I will post.
Haytrader

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

SwampDonkey

I'm not convinced, I'll wait for the builder to comment ;)

Haytrader

No, it is not a bogie. We call them walking axles, likes on a road grader.
Someone , like Mark (Cat man) probably knows the proper name.
Had a classmate make a trailer in high school that had axles likes on red's trailer. It was an 8x20 tilt. He put a little "pre stress" tilt when he welded them so when the trailer was loaded the tires were straight up and down.
Haytrader

ScottAR

If those axles were on a big truck they'd be called Walking beam axles or Henrickson (sp?) for one brand.  Pretty common on dumps.  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Duane_Moore

Haytrader, ya ready for this one??up in wyoming we can't feed them round bailes no more, ya.    the E.P.A. says the cows are not getting a Square meal out of them... I know not the place for farm humor... Duh---Duane :D :D :D
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

ADfields

Walking beam and the center pivot is called the bogie.   Hendrickson is a brand name that made a lot of that type of set up and got there name tied to it over the years.
Andy

Haytrader

Do Wayne,

Were you the class clown??
 :D  :D

Andy,

Good to hear from ya. I always thought a bogie axle was one where the spindle(s) is between two wheels. One wheel on each side of the frame. A pain in the ash to change a flat.
Hillsboro used to make trailers useing them. They had grain sides and an electric over hydraulic dump.
Haytrader

SwampDonkey

You'll meen like this don't you?

I gotta edit this again??
 :)  ;D  :)

Thank You Sponsors!