iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

replace clutch spring on 55 Rancher

Started by propster, January 31, 2012, 10:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

propster

Hey everyone, new here and I just wanted to say I found this site by accident, but sure glad I did. Lots of knowledge here. Not hardcore by any means, but heat with wood all winter so do a fair bit of cutting. Not many parts nearby so I wind up ordering most parts and try to figure things out on my own. I'll have more questions I'm sure, but first off I need to replace the clutch spring on a '00 55 Rancher. It looks like I can run the new spring (coil) under the "ears" on the exposed clutch and hook it up to the other end, but something tells me it's probably not that easy. Do I need to take the clutch off to do this? If so, any tips for wrangling it on there?  Thanks!

Spike60

Welcome to the site!

Definitely want to take the clutch off to change the spring. It is a bit frustrating to do this. There is a special tool to use, but absent that, you'll probably use some foul language.  :)

Seriously, it's best to first hook the spring and then spread the shoes until they snap in place.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

propster

Reverse thread if I'm not mistaken to get it off? Then hook the connected spring over one side and then the cussing begins? Will the problem, and hopefully the solution, then become a little more apparent at that point?

eastberkshirecustoms

I can answer at least one question. Yes, reverse threads. Will the cussing begin? well maybe...

propster

Let the cussing begin. That is one stiff spring. I'm thinking anchor one side in vise, and grab the other shoe with a couple vice grips with the spring in place and pull far enough apart to get the center "bar" back over the other shoe and spring. Sound like a plan?

eastberkshirecustoms

I did my clutch spring on the 455 almost a year ago. I can't remember the exact process, but what you described sounds just about right, and it is a bear. That I do remember very well.

lumberjack48

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

kenskip1

I had to remove the clutch from my 55 to replace the bearings in the clutch itself.Not a big issue.Need a brass punch, get onto the compression stroke and give a good wacko. Mine came off after the second hit.Of course plan "B" is to use an impact wrench.Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Thank You Sponsors!