iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ordered woodmizer LT 35

Started by ruren, January 31, 2012, 04:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruren

I have been lurking around here for a while, absorbing all the good information. For my very first post I will share my excitement at ordering a sawmill today. After reading, looking, and thinking about buying one for the last two years, I ordered the new Woodmizer LT35 manual. I had decided on the LT28 with the upgraded engine, but after talking to the salesman, figured the LT35 was a good enough deal to stretch my budget for. I called to place the order today and was informed they were having a February sale and they could knock $1,500 off the price I was quoted.  Needless to say, I am quite a happy customer already. While I haven't actually talked to anyone here yet, I want to say thanks for all of the good info I gathered reading through all the posts. The info on this site helped a lot in deciding what to buy.
Wood-Mizer LT35

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome To The Forum Ruren and the LT35 will serve you well Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) what are your plans for the mill ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ruren

Thanks for the welcome. I have 32 acres we are building on, finishing the garage this year and starting a house next year hopefully. I plan to cut some timbers to use here and there in the house. Not really a timber frame house, just a bit of it. As I work through the house I hope to be able to use a lot of my own trees for woodwork as I finish it out over the years. Long term I have contemplated a small timber frame barn as an ambituous future project. Although my horse crazy daughter says that should be first on the list...
Wood-Mizer LT35

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum ruren.

This is really a great place to hang out.

Congratulations on your sawmill purchase.

I'm sure it will give you many years of good, reliable service.

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

RERUN.......You think your happy now, wait until that BIG ORANGE arrives in the driveway!  :D

Welcome my friend to the FORESTRY FORUM!  8) 8) 8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

plowboyswr

Congrats on the mill!! Have fun post pics.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum. Ever been around a mill before? How are you getting the wood out? Don't forget a Logrite cant dog or peavey.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

Congratulations!  Get some extra blades.  You will want to use a few trying to saw different parts of your mill off!   These you don't have to bother getting resharpened!   :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) :) :) :)  Just did it again today, myself after 11 happy years.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

cutterboy

Welcome ruren. You shouldn't have been a stranger before while you were thinking of which mill to buy. We could have given you a lot of advice to confus....err, help you decide. :D

Once you get your mill you won't want to stop sawing lumber. You may never get your house built but you'll have a big stack of lumber. ;D

Welcome again ruren, glad you finally showed up.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

ruren

Quote from: thecfarm on January 31, 2012, 07:10:47 PM
Welcome to the forum. Ever been around a mill before? How are you getting the wood out? Don't forget a Logrite cant dog or peavey.

I've seen sawmills in action before, but haven't run one myself. I am looking forward to learning how to use it. I have a small tractor and a decent size skidsteer, so moving wood won't be a problem.

I was actually looking at the Logrite cant hooks, and noticed they come in a number of lengths. My first thought was to buy the longest they make for maximum leverage. Is there a downside to the longer handle?
Wood-Mizer LT35

slider

welcome ruren,  you had better get ready to put some of your chores on the back burner.this orange machine is going make you put your thinking cap on,which is not a bad thing.these folks here can move you along when you have issues good luck   al
al glenn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Whoops......I just noticed, is RERUN a YOOPER?  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

The 60" LogRite is a good all around choice.  The Megahook is superb on big logs when turning on a manual mill, but it is too big and heavy for medium and small logs.  That is where the 60" shines. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

ruren, welcome. Sounds like you are in for some serious sawing. Good luck. bg

wannasaw

Welcome to the forum, not been on myself for awhile but just chimed in cause you sound like me when we toook delivery on the LT28 in apr 2010 and it has paid for itself in less than two yrs part time(other job) we also have had the least maint cost(not cost of sawing) that i never imagined like $150 drive belt guides ect..and sawing ERC for a customer sat. mon. and today with no problems... besides weird logs that drive a newbie crazy..Good luck and keep the gum off the belts. And one tip that Tom gave me...get rid of the tape measure as soon as you can cause it's gonna happen eventually anyway.
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

Amax

Welcome to the forum.  Seems we all lurk for a while and then plunge in...

Enjoy your mill.  I wish I could be as decisive!
Al
A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life.
James Allen

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
William Wallace

mad murdock

What a way to make an entrance 8) welcome ruren!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

dukndog

Welcome to the FF Ruren!! Congrats on the purchase!! I'm sure there will be many happy years of sawing in the future!!

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

reride82

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the FF!

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

millwright

Welcome to the forum, I got an lt35 last summer and its and great machine and you will get excellent service from WM.

j rock

REMEMBER-- to park your truck up wind  ;D
whats fun? making saw dust!!

123maxbars

There is not alot of LT35 owner's on here, or atleast ones that have talked about them much. i upgraded my lt28 to the 35 last november. Great Mill! And for the price you made a good choice! I liked my 28 but I love the 35!
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum ruren, and Congratulations on the new sawmill purchase.  smiley_thumbsup

I have one 60" and two 48" Logrite cant hooks.  Each has their advantage.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MotorSeven

Congrats Ruren, I think the LT35 is a great value. If I ever upgrade my LT15 it will be to a 35, but it will have to be a Hydraulic.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

ruren

Thanks again for all the welcomes. And yes, I am a lifelong Yooper. Suprised someone from S.C. would know what that is!?!
Wood-Mizer LT35

Raider Bill

Quote from: ruren on February 03, 2012, 02:02:59 PM
Thanks again for all the welcomes. And yes, I am a lifelong Yooper. Suprised someone from S.C. would know what that is!?!

Anyone that's been on this forum any length of time knows what a Yooper is my Friend!  ;) ;D

Welcome
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

MapleNut

Welcome fellow Yooper !:D Have fun with the new mill!!
2005 WM LT40HDG28, 5500 IRON MULE, 272,262,046, & A PIC!

Magicman

I've eaten pasties, so I know what a Yooper is.    digin1
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Pasties  food6 digin1 digin_2  musteat_1 pepsi_smiley
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ruffneck

I pick up my LT 35 manual tomorrow...
Feels like Christmas Eve!!!
I'm to excited to sleep 8)

thecfarm

Ruffneck,welcome to the forum. What's all the lumber going to be used for? Ever been around a sawmill before? Take pictures of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ruffneck, and Congratulations on the new sawmill.   :)   We will certainly be looking forward to hearing more from you .

Chuck White

Congratulations and welcome to the Forestry Forum.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SPD748

Welcome to the forum Ruren!

Ok, I give up. What exactly is a Yooper? Oh... what's a Pastie? Sorry, I'm southern, can you guys tell?  ;)

Ruren... We'll be needing pictures of this brand new mill of yours.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

kgbond

Congrats and please post pics when the mill is in your yard.

Kimball

Raider Bill

Quote from: SPD748 on May 31, 2012, 10:34:42 AM
Ok, I give up. What exactly is a Yooper? Oh... what's a Pastie? Sorry, I'm southern, can you guys tell?  ;)

HAHA!!!! Come to a pig Roast!

nas

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 31, 2012, 11:35:03 AM

HAHA!!!! Come to a pig Roast!
Sorta like a Newfie from Michigan :D :P smiley_headscratch smiley_bucktooth

Ruffneck welcome and congrat's on the new mill 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

thecfarm

SPD748,go to Extras,click onto Forestry Forum Dictionary,go to "Y" and you will find the answer. A Pastie is something to eat,meat and potato,pie crust dough,maybe carrots,turnip,did I miss anything? Kinda could be picked up with your hands and eat it.

Magicman

I am a grits man, but I know that you forgot the rutabaga.   :)

Raider Bill

-lee

ruren

-lee

lee

I missed that there were new responses to my post, sorry for the late reply. A Yooper is a resident of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, usually shortened to "da UP". We distinguish ourselves from the "trolls" in the lower peninsula. (The people that live below the Mackinac Bridge).

As for a pastie, it's a meat pie thing. Pie crust wrapped around meat, potatoes, and rutabaga in kind of a football shape. The Cornish brought them here from England when they came to work the iron mines and the Finns adopted them in the copper mines. You can stick one in your pocket and carry it down in the mine (or into the woods) for lunch. I've heard they would warm them over the candles they used in the mines, or worst case stick it in your armpit for a bit to warm it up. I prefer to stick it in the oven and cover it in ketchup.

I will have to get some pictures posted one of these days.

Rich
Wood-Mizer LT35

Shotgun

You might want to look under "Extras" for the Forestry Foum Dictionary.  You'll get lots of answers there. Look in the menu line at the top of most any page.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Magicman

We poured gravy on ours.

PatD got a chicken pastie.

Mine was beef.  Both were very good.  We got some frozen ones to go, but not enough of them.   ;D

SPD748

Now, that's a meal! Thanks for the info guys. I learn something new everyday here.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Thank You Sponsors!