Sponsors:

Spalted Maple slabs PICS included

Started by GAmillworker, January 31, 2012, 04:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAmillworker

Thought I would share some pics.  More to come

Thank the Lord for second chances

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You never know what it looks like until you saw it in two. This is what gets me up in the morning.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Full Circle

That's some beautiful wood.  Thanks for posting.
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAmillworker

Letting others make the big money.  I'm just selling slabs.

Lud

Nice looking spalt.  Nothing like a bit of spalt on a bowl to bump up the value.  8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

GAmillworker

Riggs

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

GAmillworker

WDH

It just does not get any better than that  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LOGDOG

Wow! What do you charge for slabs like that if I may ask?

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

GAmillworker

Okrafarmer

This may have been asked before, but is there a difference between ambrosia and spalting? Is ambrosia a type of spalting? I get a lot of ambrosia maple around here. I'm building up a batch of around 1,000 bf to mill and probably 2/3 of it so far is heavily ambrosia-brewed. Also-- question-- if the logs have spalting or ambrosia in them when the tree is still a live, does it continue to grow "better and better" in there if you leave the logs to sit around a while?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

LOGDOG

Quote from: GAmillworker on February 01, 2012, 09:03:09 AM
Quote from: LOGDOG on February 01, 2012, 07:39:21 AM
Wow! What do you charge for slabs like that if I may ask?
$75-$150

Wish you were closer. I'd buy a pile of them off you.

tyb525

Ambrosia is a beetle, and yes it is different than spalt. If a tree has spalt while it is still standing, it is most likely not alive anymore. Logs will spalt on the ground, however it's kinda of a crap shoot as to whether it will be good spalting, or just rot.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

samandothers

Well, now I know the price.  Since I don't know, I have to ask, how big is a slab? 

GAmillworker

Quote from: samandothers on February 01, 2012, 07:25:12 PM
Well, now I know the price.  Since I don't know, I have to ask, how big is a slab? 
the ones with crotch are 48" long  30" wide @ widest part & 24" at smallest part thickness very from 1-1/4" thick to 3-1/2".   The butt cuts are 48" long 24" wide.

WDH

The color associated with the hole in ambrosia maple is caused by a fungus that hitchhikes in on the body of the ambrosia beetle that bored the hole.  It is similar to blue stain fungus.

Spalt only occurs in trees that have died or have been cut, never in living trees.  Like Ty alludes, spalt is a stage of the decomposition process.  It is more dramatic in certain species, and not so much in others.  Sycamore and maple spalt very nicely. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

okmulch

I made a lamp out of some spalted maple.

Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

samandothers

Thanks for the info.   Very nice slab.

Okrafarmer

I've heard of spalted beech. Does ash spalt? I think I may have seen some recently.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

eastberkshirecustoms

I have no experience with spalted wood at all, which brings to mind a question. How solid is it? It does look nice, but it is essentially 'rotted', right? Is it softer or less durable than unspalted? Thanks in advance guys for the edgamacation.

Okrafarmer

And what is the etymology of the word "spalt"? Was it originally just the redneck version of the word "spoiled"?  ???

GAmillworker

Quote from: eastberkshirecustoms on February 01, 2012, 10:07:44 PM
I have no experience with spalted wood at all, which brings to mind a question. How solid is it? It does look nice, but it is essentially 'rotted', right? Is it softer or less durable than unspalted? Thanks in advance guys for the edgamacation.
Spalted maple is as solid as any other maple. It is not rotten and soft.  I'm sure someone else can tell us more.

Thank You Sponsors!