Sponsors:

Spalted Maple slabs PICS included

Started by GAmillworker, January 31, 2012, 04:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAmillworker

Thought I would share some pics.  More to come

Thank the Lord for second chances

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You never know what it looks like until you saw it in two. This is what gets me up in the morning.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Full Circle

That's some beautiful wood.  Thanks for posting.
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAmillworker

Letting others make the big money.  I'm just selling slabs.

Lud

Nice looking spalt.  Nothing like a bit of spalt on a bowl to bump up the value.  8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

GAmillworker

Riggs

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

GAmillworker

WDH

It just does not get any better than that  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LOGDOG

Wow! What do you charge for slabs like that if I may ask?

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

GAmillworker

Okrafarmer

This may have been asked before, but is there a difference between ambrosia and spalting? Is ambrosia a type of spalting? I get a lot of ambrosia maple around here. I'm building up a batch of around 1,000 bf to mill and probably 2/3 of it so far is heavily ambrosia-brewed. Also-- question-- if the logs have spalting or ambrosia in them when the tree is still a live, does it continue to grow "better and better" in there if you leave the logs to sit around a while?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

LOGDOG

Quote from: GAmillworker on February 01, 2012, 09:03:09 AM
Quote from: LOGDOG on February 01, 2012, 07:39:21 AM
$75-$150

Wish you were closer. I'd buy a pile of them off you.

tyb525

Ambrosia is a beetle, and yes it is different than spalt. If a tree has spalt while it is still standing, it is most likely not alive anymore. Logs will spalt on the ground, however it's kinda of a crap shoot as to whether it will be good spalting, or just rot.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

samandothers

Well, now I know the price.  Since I don't know, I have to ask, how big is a slab? 

GAmillworker

Quote from: samandothers on February 01, 2012, 07:25:12 PM
Well, now I know the price.  Since I don't know, I have to ask, how big is a slab? 
the ones with crotch are 48" long  30" wide @ widest part & 24" at smallest part thickness very from 1-1/4" thick to 3-1/2".   The butt cuts are 48" long 24" wide.

WDH

The color associated with the hole in ambrosia maple is caused by a fungus that hitchhikes in on the body of the ambrosia beetle that bored the hole.  It is similar to blue stain fungus.

Spalt only occurs in trees that have died or have been cut, never in living trees.  Like Ty alludes, spalt is a stage of the decomposition process.  It is more dramatic in certain species, and not so much in others.  Sycamore and maple spalt very nicely. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

okmulch

I made a lamp out of some spalted maple.

Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

samandothers

Thanks for the info.   Very nice slab.

Okrafarmer

I've heard of spalted beech. Does ash spalt? I think I may have seen some recently.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

eastberkshirecustoms

I have no experience with spalted wood at all, which brings to mind a question. How solid is it? It does look nice, but it is essentially 'rotted', right? Is it softer or less durable than unspalted? Thanks in advance guys for the edgamacation.

Okrafarmer

And what is the etymology of the word "spalt"? Was it originally just the redneck version of the word "spoiled"?  ???

GAmillworker

Quote from: eastberkshirecustoms on February 01, 2012, 10:07:44 PM
I have no experience with spalted wood at all, which brings to mind a question. How solid is it? It does look nice, but it is essentially 'rotted', right? Is it softer or less durable than unspalted? Thanks in advance guys for the edgamacation.
Spalted maple is as solid as any other maple. It is not rotten and soft.  I'm sure someone else can tell us more.

Ianab

It's the very first stage the wood decaying. A fungus grows though the wood and feeds on the easy to process sugars in the wood, and stains it, without significantly weakening the actual structure of the wood. If you can then cut the log and dry it the fungus stops and you still have solid wood. Leave it a few months more and the fungus starts breaking down the actual cellulose that makes up the wood structure. That's when it goes punky and rotten.

There may be some slight weakening of the wood, but as it's usually used for decorative rather than structural use it's not enough to worry about. Spalting usually occurs in non-durable wood, so if it gets wet in the future the decay can start up again, but as long as it's dry the decay process is stopped.

Other thing to watch is fungus spores in the sawdust when you are working with it. Some people get a nasty allergic reaction to it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Spalting definitely weakens the wood, but if it is managed in the early stages, the difference is not material (solid as GAmillworker said).  However, there becomes a fine line between spalt and the beginning of rot as Ian says, and the trick is to stop the decomposition process to keep the wood in the spalted stage and not let it enter the doty or punky stage.  It is an art rather than a science.  Some of the best spalt is what Mother Nature does on her own, and you just luck onto it.  It is a matter of time and temperature and humidity, since all wood begins to decompose in the natural environment once dead except for the really rot resistant ones.

GAmillworker,

Do you intentionally spalt wood using a recipe, or do you just dig around and see what Mother Nature did on her own?

eastberkshirecustoms

Ok, thanks guys! I'm beginning to understand. I ask because I got an itch to build a spalted maple coffee table. Would it be best to have a poured-on epoxy finish to seal up the wood from future decay and any release of spores, or will regular ol' polyurethane suffice?

metalspinner

Any old finish can be used on the table.  Spores that cause spalting are already in the air that we breathe. That's how they ended up on the wood in the first place.

Fine Woodworking had a really nice article recently on the dangers of wood dust.  Their conclusion was that spalted wood dust was as bad for you as any other wood dust. Wood dust is a carcinogen and protection in the form of a dust mask and extraction are the best ways to avoid future complications while working with wood.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ianab

Regular Poly will be fine. The fungus is only dormant spores once the wood dries.

Yes the spores are naturally in the air, and can cause problems there already. Toxic mould issues in damp houses for example. It's when start sanding something like that and have 1000X the amount floating around....

Of course you should avoid breathing too much wood dust anyway, but the spalted wood has the extra hazard that you might be allergic to the fungus. It may have no effect on you, or some people might break out in a rash or have breathing problems when exposed to it.

Just be aware it can happen, and if you have a reaction, take extra care.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

terrifictimbersllc

Spalted areas on maple soak up much more finish than unspalted areas.  I wouldn't consider using it for a cutting board.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tyb525

I've seen spalting in many species, but certain species look better than others.

I cut some spalted beech once. An odd length log, 4 feet, it was left after cutting a log down to a length I could saw. I let it lay in the feild all summer, and it had some nice spot, mostly just on the side that was on the ground. The top side was just stained.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Spalted Dog

If you find some wood with great spalting you can still stabilize it if it is not too far gone.  I have used 2 part epoxy, Minwax wood hardener, or acryloid B-72, super glue.  I think there is a product through Packard turning catalog that you can stabilize wood with I think Pentacryl?. The acryloid B-72 seems to be the best all around.  I use it mainly in knife handles, pistol grips etc.  The wood pretty much turns to plastic.  This in turn makes the dust absolutely toxic so repirator required.  The finished product is great, and solid.  I will use it on a table when I find a piece good enough.
The older I get the less I used to know.

GAmillworker

Quote from: WDH on February 02, 2012, 07:53:05 AM
Do you intentionally spalt wood using a recipe, or do you just dig around and see what Mother Nature did on her own?
It was just
              L  aboring
              U  nder
              C  orrect
              K  nowledge
No really,

It was just laying in someones yard(they said it had been laying there for years).  I asked them if I could get it out of the way for them.  They were glad to have it hauled away.

WDH

Nothing wrong with the Laboring Under Current Knowledge Plan  :D.

Tdawg

Quote from: GAmillworker on February 01, 2012, 09:03:09 AM
Quote from: LOGDOG on February 01, 2012, 07:39:21 AM
$75-$150

GAmillworker, don't take this the wrong way because I am completely uninformed, but it just seems to me that these slabs should be worth more...I mean look at them!!! How do you arrive at that price? And who do you sell them to?

Thanks

GAmillworker

GAmillworker, don't take this the wrong way because I am completely uninformed, but it just seems to me that these slabs should be worth more...I mean look at them!!! How do you arrive at that price? And who do you sell them to?

You are right with the right marketing, exposer, & time you can get a lot more.

That being said,
I think I'll pm the boss of FF and see if I can donate one for the auction.

WDH

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Spalted Dog,

Could you post a link to your source for the acryloid B-72?

Thanks,

Herb

jueston

Quote from: GAmillworker on February 02, 2012, 09:34:22 PM
That being said,
I think I'll pm the boss of FF and see if I can donate one for the auction.

I'm sure plenty of forumites would be interested in bidding on that, i would.

tyb525

Back before I had my mill, I came a cross an old rotten buckeye log. I shouldn't say it was old, it was only down half a year. It fell in the spring, and buckeye degrades VERY fast once on the ground.

I cut a few turning blanks out of the more solid areas with a chainsaw, and turned a bowl out of one of them. Boy it was nice, I wish I could've milled some lumber from it.

Magicman

You were certainly correct about it being nice.   Good turning job also.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tyb525

Thanks MM, one thing I noticed is it soaked up the finish to no end. I put on countless coats of butcher block oil, then walnut oil, and it still looks like it did straight off the lathe :D

WDH

Wow Ty, that looks awesome!  I have some hickory that has been down for a couple of years that I plan to put on the mill and "open' up soon.

Spalted Dog

Museum Services Corp in the Twin Cities for the B-72.  It comes in pellet form and is disolved in Acetone.  This stuff is not to be take lightly, especially the sanding after it hardens, respirator required.

You will have to play around with your ratio of pellets to acetone.
The older I get the less I used to know.

cutterboy

Will red maple spalt? I know sugar maple will. I have some red maple trees on the ground that came down in an ice storm two years ago. Is there any way I can tell if thay are spalted by looking at them? Will black birch spalt?
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WOW......all that spalt makes my eyes cross. BEAUTIFUL work TYB.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ellmoe

Quote from: cutterboy on February 26, 2012, 08:36:14 PM
Will red maple spalt? I know sugar maple will. I have some red maple trees on the ground that came down in an ice storm two years ago. Is there any way I can tell if thay are spalted by looking at them? Will black birch spalt?

Yes it will, quite nicely.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

cutterboy

Thanks ellmoe. I'll have to go check out those downed trees.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

customsawyer

Danny if those hickories are very large I am expecting a call. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caver

I have cut some Tulip Poplar with that spalting. I didn't know it had a name...just thought it looked cool. I may have to cut some slabs out of my last TP on the mill as it has some spalting too.
Baker HD18

WDH

Jake,

They are kind of small and rotten  :D.

Okrafarmer

I've noticed recently that sweetgum spalts pretty nicely.

Thank You Sponsors!