iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forester insurance

Started by jim king, January 31, 2012, 11:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

Does anyone know if it is possible for a forester to get insurance stating that he has complied with all the does and donts of the law whwn he makes a forestry plan.

Also is it possible to get insurance that covers the logger stating that he has complied with the mananagement plan made by the forester ?

As the FSC and the others of this type are not recognozed by the US Government I need a way to insure the logging process that it infact complied with the laws.

Texas Ranger

You can insure virtually any thing, but I have never heard of a specific policy, or policies, that your interested in finding.  I would think some one like LLoyd's, or some such, would be more than happy to accommodate.  About the only thing I have had experience with is an errors and omissions, and that is kinda iffy on what your asking.  Loggers are usually held to obey the contract.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Jim no, I don't believe so. Only thing close might be that he/she is registered by a professional association. Here in New Brunswick all plans and cruising on crown lands (public) is suppose to be done by RPF's or CFT's. To be an RPF your suppose to be up to speed on forestry practices and regulations/acts. I think these associations have to be approved by government proclamation.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jim king

It kind of makes the FSC and all the others a fraud as I can see as the US govt does not accept them.

Am I wrong ?  They say we like you and you paid your dues but we have no responsibility.   That to me is simple misrepresentation and fraud.

Certification without any responsibility legally is a scam to me.

Texas Ranger

Been some of our feelings ever since they started.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

jim king

I have been studying the "Lacey Act" in depth and trying to find a way that I could not be prosecuted for something someone else did.  My conclusion is that it is impossible.  The law even affects lumber shipments from state to state and to and from Canada.

Thee FSC and the likes of them do nothing to protect against a potential problem and are truely worthless organizations that are made to only make the consumer feel good.

Here are a couple of interesting links that should be of interest to anyone in the lumber business.

http://www.fsc-watch.org/docs/P6.EIA.LaceyReport.pdf

H:\backup 30-03-11 pc2\Jim Documentos\2008\Ecology FSC-Watch FSC and the Lacey Act the $500,000 question.mht

John Mc

Hey, Jim -

I note on one of the FAQ answers it states: "It is important to note that the Lacey Act does not impose U.S. law on sovereign nations. 'Illegally sourced' is defined by the content of
sovereign nations' own laws."

This implies that a lot of this is up to the country of origin to decide what laws they want on the books. From some of your previous posts, I gather that the answer quoted above is quite misleading, since US (or various non-government agencies, some working with US funding) are seriously leaning on these countries to develop and enforce certain laws. So while the Lacey act itself may not set the rules for what is illegal, it puts the teeth in the other laws that have been rammed through in these other countries.

Do I have that right?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jim king

QuoteDo I have that right?

Sorry for not replying sooner, I did not see your post.  The Lacey Act is a law designed by the US and forced on other countries and enforced inside the US also..  Soon to be Canada etc.

It is just another example of way to much government and not to inteligent types making the laws.  Do a Google on "Lacey Act"  "Gibson guitars".

One thing is consistant with the Lacey Act, the law always goes against the buyer, wright or wrong.

Brian Beauchamp

For Consulting Foresters, you can buy professional liability insurance. Don't know if they have the same for loggers...it is usually in the form of contractual performances clauses pre-harvest.

Thank You Sponsors!