iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chippewa National Forest

Started by lumberjack48, January 30, 2012, 07:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjack48

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

rockman

Some great history, thanks for sharing.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

jkingsley

mad murdock

Thanks for posting the link. That is some way cool pics and narration to go with it.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sparky

Thanks lumberjack48,

I have a number of logging books covering MN, but your reference is the best! My dad hunted in a number of areas in northern MN and often ran into cut-over area where the stumps were huge. When did you move from Ottertail?

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

lumberjack48

I moved back about 4 months ago. I'm originally from Squaw Lake, i grew up thinning pine. In the late 60's and 70's i cut many of the first growth White Pine, the biggest one i cut was over by Lost Lake. It was over 6' on the stump, i cut a 12' out of the butt, it was all the C5 could handle.

It talks about Pine Inland up by Big Falls. I remember stay in camp with the family and my fathers, father. There were 6 of us staying  in a loggers shack. My grandfather had his own shack. They were working for Sam Stanland, he was from Sand Lake. My father was driving a 1951 Jeep wagon, 4x4, this was back in 52 or 53 i was a young guy. I can remember smelling bear at night.  :o
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

roger 4400

Thanks for sharing. I cannot imagine how strong the horses were to haul such loads....and how much those men worked to take wood to the mills.Thank you. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

lumberjack48

The Markham hotel in Bemidji back in the 70's was a hot spot. There was a bar there called the Blue Ox, i used to go dancing there. I got a room there [$10.] it was just like the western days, long narrow hallway's. The room was small, hardwood floor, no water, the bathroom was down the hall.
The buildings all gone now.

Thank You Sponsors!