iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band order / testing

Started by hackberry jake, January 30, 2012, 04:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I just got off the phone with menominee saw. I needed to order some blades and couldnt decide which kind I wanted to try, so I ordered  3 simonds, 3 lenox, 2 monkey, and 2 woodmizer. The only bands I have tried so far have been timberwolf 1 1/4 x 3/4 tooth spacing x .45 x 10*. I ordered 7/8 tooth spacing because I now have 20 ponies instead of 13, but have no clue about the hook angle on any of them (shoulda asked I guess). Do you think they'll send 10*?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

Jake
I have a feeling they'll send the 10° bands.

The 10° is "more-or-less" a universal or general purpose blade, and since you didn't specify, I think that's what you'll get

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SeeSaw

You probably will not find a better company that stands by their products and is always out to please their customers than WoodMizer. I have nothing but good things to say about them.  They have always come through for me.  Although we hate to admit that we make mistakes, It does sound like the blade was installed backwards.  I've done it myself not paying attention. Cut like the dickens as soon as I truned it around the right way. Ha ha.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

cutterboy

Jake, that should be fun trying and comparing four different blades. I've never run Lenox oe Woodmiser blades, but I have used Simonds and Monkey. I love the Monkey blades, not crazy about Simonds, however, my favorite blades are Cook's super sharp and they are a Simonds blade...so go figure.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

tyb525

Something I've noticed, other blade manufacturers do not specify the hook/tooth degree?? I've only seen WM offer various degrees.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Buck

I've tried all but Cooks. Its a shame. As nice as the folks at Cooks are when I've talked with them I should have tried their blades.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

leroy in kansas

Quote from: hackberry jake on January 30, 2012, 04:41:26 PM
I just got off the phone with menominee saw. I needed to order some blades and couldnt decide which kind I wanted to try, so I ordered  3 simonds, 3 lenox, 2 monkey, and 2 woodmizer. The only bands I have tried so far have been timberwolf 1 1/4 x 3/4 tooth spacing x .45 x 10*. I ordered 7/8 tooth spacing because I now have 20 ponies instead of 13, but have no clue about the hook angle on any of them (shoulda asked I guess). Do you think they'll send 10*?

HJ, of course we expect a full report, double blind study of the blade selection.  ;D 
It will be interesting to hear how this works out for you.
Leroy

hackberry jake

I will for sure let u guys know how it goes. It'll he hard to beat how the timberwolf bands performed tho. It's awesome to have a sponsor like menominee saw. Four different bands from one supplier in one box, and at a good deal as well. I called simonds to order some bands first and the guy on the phone said "I don't know" to all of my questions. Menominee on the other hand knew exactly what I was asking and I was off the phone with the lady in less than 5 min. Awesome.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Jake,

We will need a full factorial double replicated experiment  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

NMFP

In general, most companies and individuals feel that 10 degree is a universal hook angle however....I feel differently than most on this subject.  Personally, I feel the industry has used too great of a hook angle for years and only keep selling 10 degree as "universal" because thats what they have always done.  I saw everything with 4 & 7 degree and do not use anything else.  I converted all of my 10 degree bands to 7's and have never had a problem sawing anything.  Also, I sharpen anywhere from 70-140 bands per week now and most of my customers want bands sharpened at 4 and 7 because of how well they cut.  Some of those customers were hard to change but after they changed, they will never go back to 9 or 10 degree.
I typically use .055 bands that are 4 degree and .045 bands that are 7 and nothing else. 
I use the proof that this works for me and for just about all of my customers. 
Hope this helps a little :) :)

bandmiller2

Truth be known all of the name brand bands are good,some just a tiny bit better on a particular bandsaw.If someone put an unknown band on your mill you'd be hard pressed to name the brand.Sharp and set is the biggie along with hook angle.I  always sharpen to less than 10 degrees.On most grinders as the side of the wheel [that sharpens the face] wears you will get less hook,that is usally a good thing.If you dress the wheel too much you wear it out quickly. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

I think the 10* came from lower powered mills as they pull a bit easyier. Mine get sharpened at 4 or 5*     . Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

NMFP

I remember the days when bands were all soft steel with no hardening.  In my experience, they never really broke but wore out extremely fast.  If you sharpen a band now past the hardened tip, you are reaching something similar to what was used years ago. 
Its funny I say years ago because I am only 31 but... I have been around machinery for about 20 some years so... I can remember the improvements over the years, and in some cases, unimprovements!
NMFP

5quarter

Buck...saving the best for last?  ;D ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

hackberry jake

Just finished off trying out one of each kind of band. I used them all on pecan logs. I only used them until they got dull and were ready to be sharpened for the first time, so longetivity will have to wait. I rate them as follows.

#1.) Monkfers. This band was awesome. It cut the longest. It left almost a planer smooth cut, and was extremely sharp right out of the box.

#2.) Simonds Red Streak. This band cut for a very long time, left a smooth cut, but tracked a little funny on my band wheels.

#3.) Woodmizer Double Hard. This band seemed like it didn't have enough set. It cut great, but took a dive after only a few boards.

#4.) Lenox Woodmaster "C". This band wobbled bad as soon as I engauged the clutch. Maybe it was welded crooked? I only made it about 2' into the log before I backed it out because of noise, sparks, and quality of cut. I have two more to try. If the others are as bad as the first I wouldn't see why anybody would re-order these bands.

Note: Pecan is a very tough and abrasive wood. It really put all these bands to the test. Stay tuned for the second round of testing... Which will probably be on either cedar or bodark / osage orange.

Magicman

I understand what you are doing, but you are only proving to yourself what different bands might do on your sawmill, with your blade tension, blade speed, feed rate, and other variables.  You were sawing different logs which is another variable.  Butt logs saw differently than second cut, and limbwood has a mind of it's own, especially Pecan.

Other sawyers might have completely different results with their setup.  Your example is why we tend to stay with the blades, pitch, and sharpening methods that we regularly use.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

i'm not afrad to try different blades and came out with the same results as Jake, except I haven't run Monks since I first started and cant remember how they worked. I should give Lenox another try but when I ran them they wouldn't cut as straight as the Simonds but they didn't wobble.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Its a tough job to truely evaluate different bands as the results can change with a different log.I think the folks that sell you the bands, their service and attitude has as much to due with satisfaction as the brand. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

I get mine from a local (20 miles) shop where they hammer blades and weld band blades and can choose from Simonds WM and Lenox for the same price, I end up with Simonds, cut straight and take a lot of sharpenings.   Steve

dail_h

Have tried 7 degree a coupla times,, and they just dont work as well as 10s on my mill cutting the stuff i cut. mostely dryish poplar,, and hemlock,, with bit of white pine thrown in
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

hackberry jake

Just tried the second Lenox woodmaster "C" band and this one cut like a hot knife through butter in cedar. I believe the first one was just welded crooked. I appoligize to Lenox for the comments I made earlier.

ladylake

Jake  Thanks for the update, I only tried Lennox once about 5 years ago might be time for another box of 10.    Steve

hunterbuild

I just put on one of the Cooks blades that was sent for free trial. I'm not sure if it was the super sharp. It cut 18" red oak like butter, and this is with my HF 7+hp mill. I cut some smaller walnut too. I was concerned abut the hp on the mill, but I'm OK with it now, plus it is a gas sipper. I will be cutting alot of pine and will see how it holds up.

ladylake

I think Cooks supersharp would be a good band for low HP mills, the couple I tried seemed like the had less set which would pull easy.    Steve

dail_h

Runnin Cooks blades now,, they're not the supersharps,,like them so far. have run all one time,, several thtough first sharpening. I'm cutting crib blocks outta dry poplar, and hemlock framing
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!