iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sourwood

Started by qbilder, January 30, 2012, 10:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbilder

Anybody ever mill or have any experience with sourwood? Any remote chance of pics? 
God bless our troops

ladylake

Never heard of it, is that it's real name or nickname. Pics?  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jueston

a google search says Sourwood or sorrel tree is Oxydendrum arboreum

the tree is renowned for its nector and they make jelly from joice from its blooms.

and here is a link to some info about it with a small picture, it looks like a light wood without too much grain.
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/sourwood/

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I would reply about SOURWOOD but I think this topic would be moved to ASK THE FORESTER.
But yes, there is a SOURWOOD tree.
Google SOURWOOD and you can find out a lot about it.

Modified: Sorry jueston, I think we posted within the same minute. Didn't mean to repeat what you said but I had no way of knowing.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

I don't think you have any in New Mexico. Do you? We do have it here. It typically gets to around 8 inch diameter but I did help cut up a spirally one for firewood recently that was about 14". I saw one a few days ago that was about 18". They often as not grow at an angle. I call them Seven-trees because they so often look like a number 7. Sometimes they are bowed over in a graceful arch until the top is 90 degrees to the ground. They are often quite crooked.

I have not yet milled any, but would like to. They are a high-ground, understory tree and grow very slowly, with nice tight rings. Easy to cut, but fairly heavy and tough. I have imagined that it might make some nice lumber, but haven't tried yet. Want me to send you a log??? (for the right price)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bugdust

Lots of sourwood in these parts, but never milled any. I usually keep empty supers on the bees during the sourwood bloom because they make great clear honey from it. The bloom hangs like a bell so even during heavy rains the nector won't wash off like poplar, etc. I really don't know any other usage for sourwood.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Okrafarmer

Pardon my sheltered upbringing, but what's a yooper?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Shotgun

Where does such a word appear?
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: bugdust on January 30, 2012, 08:16:00 PM
Lots of sourwood in dese parts, but never milled any. dis yooper usually keep empty supers on Da bees during Da sourwood bloom because dey make great clear honey from it. Da bloom hangs like a bell so even during heavy rains Da nector won't wash off like poplar, etc. dis yooper really don't know any other usage for sourwood.

It is inserted everywhere in the thread where the word "I" would be. Somebody somehow hacked this, or maybe just on my computer??

Shotgun

Must be just your computer.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Okrafarmer

Back to normal now.  ???  Weird. Really weird.

Okrafarmer

Every post in this thread was showing up like that, with hick speech inserted. "Dis Yooper" for "I", "Da" for "The", "Dey" for "They" and so on. I hope my computer isn't messing up. But the quote I posted seems to have copied that one post word for word as I saw it, and now the problem is cleared up. Very strange.

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Okrafarmer

Ok, ha ha ha. I guess I've never been to Michigan, and it shows!  ;D

Okrafarmer

Can we have Maine night sometime? If yuv nevah huhd how Mainiacs tock, it could take a lil gittin usta. Its not fah the faint of haht.

Roxie

Now you've got the spirit!   :D
Say when

WDH

I think that Dodgy Loner has milled some.  Maybe he will chime in.  I do know that the leaves turn a beautiful red in the fall. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

You've come to the right place, my friend :). I milled one a few years back. It milled up nicely and dried without many problems, but frankly the color of the wood didn't make me want to mill any more. The log I had was several months old when I milled it, which is why you see some bluish gray staining near the bark, but farther into the trunk was a pretty bland beige color. I still haven't done anything with the wood, so I don't have any insight into its workability.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

It has that cinnamon colored inner bark.  I bet it would make nice live edge slabs with bark on if it was cut in the winter and if you could get a big enough tree.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Probably would look nicer if you mill the log right after it is cut, especially in winter time. My guess.

js2743

I remember some old timers making sled runners with sourwood, they made good runners with just the right bend from the way they grow. They are the first tree to bloom in the spring here.

Riggs

Around here, it makes the best honey, I'll leave mine for my bees.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Okrafarmer

It does make an excellent, tangy honey. We have millions of them here in this area and I have a neighbor who has bees and his honey is quite exquisite. they especially like to grow in the upland areas, on the mountains and the tops and sides of hills. Usually under oaks and other taller species. But the next chance I have when there's a forced harvesting of a larger example, I'm going to try to mill it.

qbilder

Thanks yall. I understand that it's related to manzanita and madrone, which are beautiful woods, so I figured i'd inquire with the forum to see if anybody had experience. We don't have it here in NM, but do have a lil in southern Ohio. I cut lots of maple in Ohio, and thought I might try a sourwood if it seemed interesting enough. I have cut a couple dogwoods on a whim & was impressed with how hard & smooth textured the wood was. I'm just curious when it comes to trees. Lots to learn :) Thanks again.   
God bless our troops

Okrafarmer

Sourwood should be a relatively tough, strong, heavy wood, but not overly special in any way.

Thank You Sponsors!