iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade life

Started by vfauto, January 30, 2012, 09:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

Good morning, I would consider myself a inexperienced sawyer so I have many questions. Todays question is about blade life. I have a TK 1600. I put a new TK blade on, milled a 28"x12' maple log into 1.25" and 2" boards along with 2 beams 5.5" x 10.5". The last couple of cuts seemed a bit wavy so I slowed down and all looked well. Two weeks later I put a curved 18"x8'Cherry log on the mill and the cuts were terrible. They were very wavy especially in the first 18" of cutting.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

ladylake

Time to put a sharp blade on, hard maple will dull them a lot faster than most wood.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

I agree with Steve!

I don't saw very much "hard wood", I saw mostly pine, hemlock & poplar, with a once in a while cherry.

I have sawn hard maple in the past and they will dull a blade in about ½ the time as a hemlock or cherry.

Time for a new or sharpened blade.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ohio_Bill

Your log scales 432 doyle   and I bet you got over 500 ft out of it . IMO 500 bf of maple with out a debarker  is great . I would be very happy with that  .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

vfauto

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on January 30, 2012, 12:51:13 PM
Your log scales 432 doyle   and I bet you got over 500 ft out of it . IMO 500 bf of maple with out a debarker  is great . I would be very happy with that  .
Her are some pics.Not sure what all the terms and abriveations mean but I do have a debarker.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

isawlogs

The size of that log sayes it all , after sawing that the blade would need sharping. A lot od wood was sawn on that log, not many blades will do much more then that  :)

Nice place to saw out of the elements.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ladylake

You did real good to get that much maple sawed with one blade, soon as the cut wavy it's time for a sharp one.  Some times it's a few cuts and some times it's a  half a day or longer.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

cutterboy

I agree with the other guys. You did well to get through that log on one blade. Be happy and change the blade.

Nice pictures, thanks.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

tyb525

That blade paid for itself many times over. Time for a new one!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ohio_Bill

Vfauto , Thanks for pictures Nice Mill and  Log and yes you do have a nice debarker .  As others have said  Maple is tuff on Blades . I think you did well . If you just threw the blade away it only cost you less than 5 cents per bf .   Your off to a great start .  Over on the left  bottom side of the Forum is a Tool Box icon . If you open it and look under Volume  , There is a Boardfoot Log selection  . If you enter diameter and length of log it will give you the Board Feet the the log will scale, because scale is based on a circular mill your mill will give more lumber because you don't make as much sawdust
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

nas

I don't find soft maple to be very hard on blades myself.  That being said, cutting that log with one blade is not bad at all.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

ladylake

Fresh soft maple is no too bad, hard maple or dried out soft maple is tough.   Steve

WDH

Looks like some ambrosia in that log. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cypresskayaksllc

"Your log scales 432 doyle   and I bet you got over 500 ft out of it . IMO 500 bf of maple with out a debarker  is great . I would be very happy with that  ."

"Her are some pics.Not sure what all the terms and abriveations mean but I do have a debarker."

IMO= In my opinion.
IMHO= In my humble opinion
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Thank You Sponsors!