iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction:

Started by Fred Bryant, January 30, 2012, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Bryant

Introduction of myself:

I am a rank beginner, meaning that I have built nothing. I found a book on timber framing ( Building the Timber Frame House by Benson/Gruber ) and it sparked my interest. I do not have any of the proper tools, or training, but went out and bought four 8x8 PT posts. I cut them into useless chunks trying my hand at this, and I think I am hooked.

I still need time to read and digest this forum, but my final interest is building a timber framed shop. I think I will start with a small shed.

My job is intermittent ( I am on the road for 8 or 9 months, then I have a month or so off ), so I have some time off coming up. I learn best by doing hands on, so I am also thinking about a class or workshop. As I said, I need some time to digest this forum, but any pointers in the correct direction would be appreciated ( books, DVDs, where one would take a class, tools, ... )

Thx's, Fred ( jyblood@nwi.net )

Carpenter

The Sobon books are pretty good.  Steve Chappel, A Timber Framer's Workshop is also a very good book to own.  The Timber Framers Guild holds several workshops annually around the country.  Check out their websight and you may be able to find one near you.  Where are you from?  Welcome to the forum.  There are other organizations around as well that offer classes or workshops on timber framing.  Good luck with your endeaver!

dukndog

Welcome to the FF Fred!!  There's a great knowledge base here on the forums. There are many books that have a wealth of info. Also as mentioned the Timber framers Guild has a few "free" downloads on joints and such. As for schools, I'm sure someone will chime in soon to help you.
Where are you located?

Regards,
DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

zelpatsmot

Agreed,  the free downloands from the tfgiuld site are good.

In my opinion, sketchup with tfrubies will be your most valuable tool.

Fred Bryant

Currently I am reading through the forum, but will try and acquire the mentioned resources. I am located in Eastern Washington State.

Thx's, Fred.

jueston

welcome to the forum! 8)

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Fred Bryant.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

I have a list of recommended books here on this forum in this section, somewhere. You'll have to do a search and use "book list" and my name and you should be able to find it.

I haven't updated it recently but the guild just came out with a new one, that I have ordered and it hasn't arrived yet.

But it is suppose to be good about the fundamentals of timber framing.

http://tfguild.stores.yahoo.net/tifrfu.html

And welcome to the forum.

Keep reading and keep asking questions.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thehardway

Welcome to the forum.  As usual, I would highly reccommend that if you have no prior building experience you purchase an old set of Audel's carpenters and builders guide circa 1920's.  These guides will give you a very in depth understanding of all of the basic principles needed for building.  From drafting plans, purchasing, sharpening and caring for your edged tools and hand tools, layout, foundations, excavation, joinery, framing, millwork, painting, the list goes on.  The illustrations are very detailed and informative and although they tend to use an advanced vocabulary that most of today's government school graduates might not grasp, they are very well written.

Additional writings would be the works of Steve Chappell, Jack Sobon, and Tedd Benson. 

I spent some time visiting historical buildings  and old barns and examining the way they were put together and the craftsmanship.  Some were very fine, others very crude and primitive. There is a wide range of skills represented.  I doubt you have as much access to historical TF buildings in Washington State as we have here in VA simply due to the time period of settlement, so this might not be that great of a resource for you as it was for me but give it consideration.  Another resource for TF skills is ship building.  Many of the joiners employed in the ship building trades doubled as carpenters and many of the skills, joints, and principles used overlap.  One of the finest exhibits of timberframing I have ever seen in scale or in skill is the U.S.S. Constitution.   If you can, get to a wooden boat or tall ship exhibition or repair yard and spend some time.

Good luck to you and enjoy your time framing.  It is hard work but very rewarding. Enjoy the best forum on the web for DIY building as well right here. 
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Brad_bb

Welcome Fred!  You do have a very good timber framer in nearby Sandpoint, ID.  Colin Beggs.  You should call and find out if he's holding a workshop this spring/summer.  He teaches a hand tools timberframe workshop.  I took it in 2009 I think, and I learned a lot.  I always learn new things from everyone I get to work with.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!