iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beginner's Chainsaw/2 Cycle repair book?

Started by John Mc, January 29, 2012, 03:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

When it comes to maintenance, I've done some minor fiddling around with my chainsaws, but nothing very involved. I'm interested in learning more about working on them (and other 2 stroke engines). Can anyone recommend a good beginner's book on Chainsaw / 2 cycle engine repair?

I saw Two Stroke Engine Repair and Maintenance by Paul Dempsy. The reviews on Amazon looked good. Is anyone familiar with that, or have any other recommendations? The tips I've picked up here on FF are great, but I'm looking for something to give me a good overview or basic background.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

I have not seen a good general repair manual for two strokes, I just kinda fell into it and learned as I went. Clymer offers CSS10-0872887057 for chain saws, it might be worth a look.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lumberjack48

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Holmes

Lumberjack48  Thanks for posting the video. I watched all 4 . I learned a lot.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

bandmiller2

John,Dempsys book will help.Your going in the right direction,once the fear factor is removed from saw repair, new worlds open up.I suggest practicing with professional grade saws,as the cheapies are a horror story and you will get discouraged.What nice to find is a good saw someone ran straight gas in,Baileys sells piston cyl kits reasonable and you have a good saw for cheap.Some of the purists don't like aftermarket parts,thats their choice,I've had good luck.Over priced parts from the dealer make alot of repairs unpractical.I've been given alot of saw that don't run most are repairable,but I don't waste my time on box store cheapies.Good luck John. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!