iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have any of y'all worn out or damaged your Woodmizer LT15 log dogs?

Started by MotorSeven, January 29, 2012, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorSeven

My mill was an older model and came with those screw in type dogs. So I bought pair of the new style from WM. I have been milling some pretty long logs out to 26-27' for my house. I have noticed that the dogs are getting harder and harder to cam over to the locked position when fully extended. But if I drop them down just a short bit(1/4") they cam over easily. I don't know if I bent them someplace, or they are just wearing out, but I was hoping they would last more than a couple of years out of them.
Anybody else have this happen?
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

tyb525

You mean the clamps?

I've had to replace mine once, my LT10 came with 1 clamp. (and that's after very occasional use for a couple years). It was so worn it would constantly come loose. It just would not stay tight (how frusterating).
I'd have to say those clamps are a terrible design, in all honesty.

I can't wait until their new style clamps come out!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Bill Gaiche

Be sure and lube any contact on the clamp that moves or has any metal to metal contact. bg

Kevin

No problem with the dogs but when the clamps act up they need cleaning and lubrication with transmission fluid.

MotorSeven

Ok, I'll lube them up and see if that helps. I keep a pumper full of tranny fluid under the mill shed and use it all the time, but have never sprayed it on those clamp cams.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!