iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Service without a smile??":( Ur experience/opinion Needed Please:)

Started by tcrew, January 28, 2012, 08:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcrew

Is this how service is now done? While at the local Stihl dealer picking up my missing air filter there was a elderly gent(80+years young) in at the other counter picking up his saw after having the chain sharpened,and as i stood there listening to him, he asked the the dealers son who was waiting on him if they gave it a quick tune up while they had it? The dealers son replied "did ya ask for it?" and the older gent says, well no but i thought u liked to have every saw run perfect before leaving ur store is all..maybe tune the carb a bit he mentioned..and again the sons reply, "Did ya ask for us to do it"? and about that time the dealer who was on his computer leaned back in view and said to the older gent," if i would of done that i would have had to charge u for it and u wouldnt like that,so NO" and then he added " ur not happy cause we didnt,and u would be unhappy if we did,so i cant win either way!" The older gent just had a confused look on his face and paid his ticket and left. I was god smacked my self,but didnt say a word, and then the dealer says to me as soon as the man left,"some people",while shaking his head side 2 side and then says"that guy called 2 pick his saw up,came and forgot his money and BLA BLA BLA!" To be honest, i wanted to do a very bad thing to this guy,but didnt..Anyway,2 the point, is this dealers way of "customer service" just a Fluke, or is this the way now Saw shops are treating customers? And 2 be clear, this is a BIG dealer, not a one room mom pop store. I kind of assumed that all small engine repair shops tune up their customers saws before letting them leave. But it seems that is a extra charge,and not just a small one. Im not talking rebuilding the carb or anything big,but a couple fine adj on the carb and a quick run to make sure its oiling and running pretty was all.. Used 2 be thats the way buiss was done,but now things have changed a bit i guess. What is u guys take on this?   
Thanks, Sin Rick(tcrew) 
038av super, MS280, MS250,Kubota/loader, Vermeer M50-H Trencher/backhoe ,Case 1150C TrackLoader,3point 25ton wood-spliter

Meadows Miller

Gday

I hope not !! But it just seems like the way the world is going apparently  :) :) :( :( Theres still alot off good people out there in business and they are the ones I aim to work with and there is a reason that only 1% off businesses make it through the first 5years ;) Now seeing as its a large store I see the problem alot off employes just dont care  :) :) Now for someone who knows about saws like a tech they should have been able to give it a quick tickle up to find its sweet spot  within a couple off min or Just been Polite about it Not abuse the poor ole boy  :) :) :) I bet you that old fella has been taking his stuff there for years and wont be back  :( is it a Big local business where he may have delt with the original person who strated the shop or franchise if its a larger company  ??? If your that upset by the experience I would send a letter to whoever is in charge to let them know how they conduct themselves  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

tcrew

Quote from: Meadows Miller on January 28, 2012, 09:11:40 AM
Gday

I hope not !! But it just seems like the way the world is going apparently  :) :) :( :( Theres still alot off good people out there in business and they are the ones I aim to work with and there is a reason that only 1% off businesses make it through the first 5years ;) Now seeing as its a large store I see the problem alot off employes just dont care  :) :) Now for someone who knows about saws like a tech they should have been able to give it a quick tickle up to find its sweet spot  within a couple off min or Just been Polite about it Not abuse the poor ole boy  :) :) :) I bet you that old fella has been taking his stuff there for years and wont be back  :( is it a Big local business where he may have delt with the original person who strated the shop or franchise if its a larger company  ??? If your that upset by the experience I would send a letter to whoever is in charge to let them know how they conduct themselves  ;)

Regards Chris
Good day 2 u Chris :)   and ur nailed it! yes this big store was bought in last couple years by a new family, and its part feed mill also. So i know that older gent is a farmer,like most of us out here in the country buys feed from that store. But by the look on his face, he wasnt happy. And a letter i dont think in this case would do any good,as it was the owner and the son that was at the counters.  As far as me being upset,,its because of the disrespect the dealer showed towards the older gent,,,after he left.. To talk BS about another behind ones back is shady at best,,but this was towards a NICE older man. Maybe its just me,but it did upset me. and still does.. Oh, and our small town got a Wally world few years back and thats what put the hurting on this store,and why it was sold to the new owners. But the new owners act like they dont need ur buiss.. Idk,, Just thought id share this experience with every one.
Thanks for ur input :) 
038av super, MS280, MS250,Kubota/loader, Vermeer M50-H Trencher/backhoe ,Case 1150C TrackLoader,3point 25ton wood-spliter

Meadows Miller

If the old boy is a Farmer you know everyone he knows is going to sure as hell know about it ;) and from the sounds off it they will find themselves without a business sooner rather than later  :) I just dont see why people do that to themselves  :( :( :) :) :) :)  You wanna buy a saw shop i see one coming up for sale on the cheap in your area within the next couple off years Mate  :) ;) :D :D ;D

tcrew

Quote from: Meadows Miller on January 28, 2012, 09:54:33 AM

If the old boy is a Farmer you know everyone he knows is going to sure as hell know about it ;) and from the sounds off it they will find themselves without a business sooner rather than later  :) I just dont see why people do that to themselves  :( :( :) :) :) :)  You wanna buy a saw shop i see one coming up for sale on the cheap in your area within the next couple off years Mate  :) ;) :D :D ;D

lol  haha, i know right? But thats a good one!  nice :)

beenthere

IF those were the very words used by the shop to the customer, they could have been softened a bit. Like "Sorry, we didn't run your saw, but we'd be glad to do it for you". Then the customer can decide if he wants to wait or is ok with paying for the sharpening and leaving.
I see no real problem otherwise with a dealer doing just what he was asked to do.
Maybe this is a customer that has a history of trying to put a wedge under the dealer for freebies. That can get a dealer in business trouble as well. It is like walking a tight rope to know what is best for a customer.

tcrew, you seem to have a burr under your saddle for Stihl dealers. What's up?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shelbycharger400

if i sharpen a saw for someone , a tune up ect dosnt take that long.   a guy at 80 prob shouldnt be usin a saw,
but a company needs to make money , if they do it for free for one person, next guy is goin to be pithed if he gets charged for it.

bull

I have a couple old bucks that are good customers, and stop in quite often, sound like this guy.... Only ask for one thing and expect everything, they can been a real PIA and sometimes have to be set straight....But we have known each other forever and have a good understanding,so it could be a zing or a rub sometimes and someone witnessing it wouldn't understand in the least !!!   By no means do I disrespect my elders but once in a while I will give one a hardtime.....

My customer policy, Is " The customer is always wrong,if he-she was right they would be doing what I am doing and keep all the fun for themselves"... They came here for me to help them and that is what they will get, the best I have to offer and they had better like it !! >:( 8)..... :-\......

tcrew

Quote from: beenthere on January 28, 2012, 11:01:30 AM
IF those were the very words used by the shop to the customer, they could have been softened a bit. Like "Sorry, we didn't run your saw, but we'd be glad to do it for you". Then the customer can decide if he wants to wait or is ok with paying for the sharpening and leaving.
I see no real problem otherwise with a dealer doing just what he was asked to do.
Maybe this is a customer that has a history of trying to put a wedge under the dealer for freebies. That can get a dealer in business trouble as well. It is like walking a tight rope to know what is best for a customer.

Hi beenthere ,,, lol. I like that last line. PLEASE, PLEASE understand i have no issues with any other Stihl dealer other than the one in the post. And its nothing to do with Stihl either, just the guy that own this shop. I dont expect anything for free by the way, just to be treated fair.     And those were his words,,thats why i put it in quotes. Its the way he bad mouthed the customer behind his back and that it was a nice old man that bothered me. where i come from, ya just dont act like that. But i asked u for ur opinion and sure got it!   Thanks beenthere :)

tcrew

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on January 28, 2012, 11:24:40 AM
if i sharpen a saw for someone , a tune up ect dosnt take that long.   a guy at 80 prob shouldnt be usin a saw,
but a company needs to make money , if they do it for free for one person, next guy is goin to be pithed if he gets charged for it.
Hi shelbycharger400,,  i was just talking about tuning the darn thing a little.. How long or much cash can that really take out of ur pocket?  2,3, maybe 5 min of ur time to keep a customer happy i didnt think was asking for to much. But then im not in the repair buiss,so  thank you for ur input ..

Paul_H

TCrew,I have the same question that Beenthere posed.You presented one side of the story over and over again and seem to have a beef.Move on.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

tcrew

Quote from: bull on January 28, 2012, 11:50:00 AM
I have a couple old bucks that are good customers, and stop in quite often, sound like this guy.... Only ask for one thing and expect everything, they can been a real PIA and sometimes have to be set straight....But we have known each other forever and have a good understanding,so it could be a zing or a rub sometimes and someone witnessing it wouldn't understand in the least !!!   By no means do I disrespect my elders but once in a while I will give one a hardtime.....

My customer policy, Is " The customer is always wrong,if he-she was right they would be doing what I am doing and keep all the fun for themselves"... They came here for me to help them and that is what they will get, the best I have to offer and they had better like it !! >:( 8)..... :-\......

@ Bull,, ur name says it all.. set a 80plus year old man straight? I dont know what brought that response on, but the old guy was respectful and very pleasant.  Not a grumpy old terd like ur describing.. Sounds like some uf ur customers gave u a hard time..   Thank s for ur comment Bull :)

tcrew

Quote from: Paul_H on January 28, 2012, 01:06:22 PM
TCrew,I have the same question that Beenthere posed.You presented one side of the story over and over again and seem to have a beef.Move on.
@ Paul_H,, didnt think i over presented anything, but moved on...

Thanks Paul_H for ur comment

ladylake

No good dealers around here, overpriced and don't fix it right.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jeff

I guess I'm used to a different type of service. Our dealer fixes what I ask him to fix. Our Stihl dealer is also our local do-it center and all around small engine repair shop. If I break a pull start cord, I take it in, they fix it. If I take it to get a chain ground, they sharpen it. I pick it up and say thank you, and give them my money. I'd certainly never expect that they would be tuning it up unless the repair was concerning the way it ran.  If  someone came in a sawmill and picked up an order of 100 2 by 4's I'd be a bit surprised if they asked if we had thrown in a dozen 1 by 6 for our trouble.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Clam77

tcrew - if I were you, and this dealer is as bad as you say they are about customer service, why not give Stihl a call and complain about them??

Stihl does NOT like their customers complaining about the service they get from a dealer...
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

shelbycharger400

tcrew,  prob 10 to 15 minutes on a proper warm up, test cutting, adjusting high jet, low jet, idle,  back and forth on low and idle.. ect .  checking 1/2 throttle to wot,  idle to wot..   ive done enough of them to get a feel if the low jet isnt comming in soon enough. ect.   then to top it off... the saw comes EMPTY of oil and gas... seems EVERY TIME!
cash jobs should be atleast $20/ hr for non labor intensive, up to 100/hr for major machining.  buddy charges 60/ hr for machining on select stuff.

i did a tune up and resharp on a saw that a local land owner was going to give me for free... i resharped tuned it up, filled it up and gave it back to him... i already cut and picked up 3-4 cords this year alone ..atleast double that is still left.. contracted to me ONLY!

a lot of work i do is barter work,  but how else do i get free stuff :) sometimes free labor too. 

joe_indi

Quote from: beenthere on January 28, 2012, 11:01:30 AM

I repair saws as a business.Whether the customer asks for it or not, I start up a saw and check it before handing it to the owner, even if it had come in for just sharpening a chain.
Other than building a good relationship with the customers, it is safer for me to do this.
No extra charges for that.
I dont want a customer coming back and saying "Hey, I brought my saw here to sharpen the chain but now it wont start".
So, just starting up a saw before handing it over saves me from having to reply to that.

Joe

beenthere

And I think that is fine for you to do that Joe.
Appears this dealer didn't do that extra step which seems fine also, if that his way of doing business.
I wouldn't want my dealer to add his gas and oil to my saw just to start it (if it happen to be out of gas). Also, if you find out when trying to start the customers saw that it won't start, then you have a possible problem explaining to a customer that work has to be done to the saw. The customer might just say "it worked just fine for me before I brought it in here".  So you may be just as the dealer said about his elder customer "danged if I do and danged if I don't".
Seems it is a coin flip, but I don't fault a dealer doing either way.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jdtuttle

QuoteIs this how service is now done?
The dealer in our town charges for everything. But he does a great job & it's worth the money. He is very service oriented, he even fills out all the warranty paperwork & sends it in when you buy new equipment.
jim
Have a great day

Meadows Miller

Look the way I see it is I would not expect it from a sawshop  for that matter I dont expect much at all from most these days ;) :(  but to the same token if your sawing for an older person or couple and they ask you nicely to saw abit more out off an extra log that was going to go say into firewood after I have already given them a quote for the whole job I say yeah no dramas  ;) esp when they are in that age group who most have been through wars and done the hard yards and the like to build our Countries to what they Are ;)

MartyParsons

Hello,
As a Stihl dealer we service Stihl equipment. We start all equipment before handing back to the customer after service. We check all safety equipment also. If you bring your saw into us for a new chain we install it for free. We also check the bar, sprocket and any other areas that may need some attention. We do not replace it unless you approve the service or repair.
The word "tune up" is a generic term for what? If you come to us and ask for a tune up we will ask you to describe your problem. Is there an issue with the equipment? We sell customer service. At times we have customers who just want the spark plug replaced. We still ask why?
We also train customers about the fuel issues we see everyday.
I guess if you came to us and wanted a starter rope replaced we would not tune the saw unless you said "could you check the saw out for any other issues". If you came back to pick up the saw and said hey nice job on the rope but you did not tune up my saw. We would ask you what you need and go from there. Discussion about difficult customers in the shop after they leave is something I hope we never do. If our service techs have a difficult issue with a customer I do my best to find out what happened and call the customer to hear his side. We would hate to loose a customer over a communication issue. Good news travels fast. Not so good news even travels faster.  ;)
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Al_Smith

As I've said before there is one Stihl  dealer with in  2-3 miles of me but I drive 15 to do businss with another .

This gentleman knows for a fact the sun would rise in the west before I ever bought new anything .Nobody works on my saws but me so all I do is purchase parts from him and he treats my like a brother .

I can't say enough for him. So you see not all dealers are bad people .Just a few and I'd like to think they are a minority .

Bill Gaiche

MartyParsons, I like the way you do business. With repect and honesty to the customer. A satisfied customer can lead you to another. Good business only brings good things to all people. Doesnt it make you feel better that you gave your best to make sure that the person that came to you for service was pleased or at least you gave 110%. Anybody can be a nerd, but what good have you done when you are. 80yr ole gentleman will always be respected untill he has given me very good grounds to feel different. He probably grew up in a time and place where men treated each other with better values than what is dislayed today by many people. How many businesses have gone out of buiness because they treated the public distastefull? I have a sthil dealer that has given me only the best and I appreciate that more ways than one. Now having said that lets be good customers tomorrow and service people do your best. Everyone have a good week. bg

blackoak

I love dealers like this. The ruder they are the better. The business in my little home based fix it shop is booming.   

tcrew

Quote from: MartyParsons on January 29, 2012, 11:29:19 AM
Hello,
As a Stihl dealer we service Stihl equipment. We start all equipment before handing back to the customer after service. We check all safety equipment also. If you bring your saw into us for a new chain we install it for free. We also check the bar, sprocket and any other areas that may need some attention. We do not replace it unless you approve the service or repair.
The word "tune up" is a generic term for what? If you come to us and ask for a tune up we will ask you to describe your problem. Is there an issue with the equipment? We sell customer service. At times we have customers who just want the spark plug replaced. We still ask why?
We also train customers about the fuel issues we see everyday.
I guess if you came to us and wanted a starter rope replaced we would not tune the saw unless you said "could you check the saw out for any other issues". If you came back to pick up the saw and said hey nice job on the rope but you did not tune up my saw. We would ask you what you need and go from there. Discussion about difficult customers in the shop after they leave is something I hope we never do. If our service techs have a difficult issue with a customer I do my best to find out what happened and call the customer to hear his side. We would hate to loose a customer over a communication issue. Good news travels fast. Not so good news even travels faster.  ;)
Marty
Marty, ur description of the way u run ur shop is great. I bet u are very successful because of it. Thank u for ur input!

tcrew

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on January 29, 2012, 12:22:10 PM
MartyParsons, I like the way you do business. With repect and honesty to the customer. A satisfied customer can lead you to another. Good business only brings good things to all people. Doesnt it make you feel better that you gave your best to make sure that the person that came to you for service was pleased or at least you gave 110%. Anybody can be a nerd, but what good have you done when you are. 80yr ole gentleman will always be respected untill he has given me very good grounds to feel different. He probably grew up in a time and place where men treated each other with better values than what is dislayed today by many people. How many businesses have gone out of buiness because they treated the public distastefull? I have a sthil dealer that has given me only the best and I appreciate that more ways than one. Now having said that lets be good customers tomorrow and service people do your best. Everyone have a good week. bg
Thank u Bill for ur comment. 100%agree :)

tcrew

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 29, 2012, 11:51:02 AM
As I've said before there is one Stihl  dealer with in  2-3 miles of me but I drive 15 to do businss with another .

This gentleman knows for a fact the sun would rise in the west before I ever bought new anything .Nobody works on my saws but me so all I do is purchase parts from him and he treats my like a brother .

I can't say enough for him. So you see not all dealers are bad people .Just a few and I'd like to think they are a minority .
Al_, i agree with u also, as there is a great dealer over the mountain from me bout 25 miles away that I will be dealing with now. I bought my Kubota tractor from him and now he will be getting my saw money also.. So like u and Marty said, it pays to be nice.."Catch more flys with Honey than with Vinegar "
Thanks Al_ :)

Al_Smith

Well it takes all kinds .Unscrupuled dealers /business men will take advange of peoples ignorance no matter if it's chainsaws ,autos ,computers or even selling insurance .

I for one still try to see the good in humanity. I like to think the dishonest are a minority but never the less always preach or evangelize that lack of product knowledge is where most people get short changed .

Every one on this web forum has a computer which has opened them up to the greatest knowledge base since the library of Alexandria .You have to use it though for it to be effective .

If a person were armed forehand with some working knowledge about a product the dishonest flim flam people are then at the disadvantage . PT Barnum was the greatest  liar the world ever knew and left a bunch of clones in his wake but they can be outfoxed at their own game if you pay attention .

tcrew

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 30, 2012, 12:51:53 PM
Well it takes all kinds .Unscrupuled dealers /business men will take advange of peoples ignorance no matter if it's chainsaws ,autos ,computers or even selling insurance .

I for one still try to see the good in humanity. I like to think the dishonest are a minority but never the less always preach or evangelize that lack of product knowledge is where most people get short changed .

Every one on this web forum has a computer which has opened them up to the greatest knowledge base since the library of Alexandria .You have to use it though for it to be effective .

If a person were armed forehand with some working knowledge about a product the dishonest flim flam people are then at the disadvantage . PT Barnum was the greatest  liar the world ever knew and left a bunch of clones in his wake but they can be outfoxed at their own game if you pay attention .

Al_,,very nicely said! and thanks for the advice,.  Thats why i really,really like this forum.

Paper Maker

Quote from: Meadows Miller on January 28, 2012, 09:11:40 AM
Gday

I hope not !! But it just seems like the way the world is going apparently  :) :) :( :( Theres still alot off good people out there in business and they are the ones I aim to work with

Meadows Miller when you get to Alabama there is a Stihl dealer about 50 miles north of you that I highly recommend.

Slayton Bros., Inc.
1235 Hwy 43
Jackson, AL  36545
Slayton Bros.
Highway 43 Bypass
Jackson, AL 36545
(251) 246-3667
www.SlaytonBrothers.com
MONDAY - FRIDAY 7A.M. TO 5P.M.
SATURDAY - 8A.M. TO 12NOON

This dealership takes great pride in customer satisfaction. I bought a Scag zero turn lawnmower from them about 6 years ago and have since bought a Stihl chainsaw, Stihl pole saw and other equipment.
  About 6 months after the warranty went out on my Scag mower so did a crankshaft seal on the motor. I took it in for the necessary repairs and was only charged for the seal and oil. Wayne (The Owner) told me no charge for the labor because the seal shouldn't have gone out so soon.
  I've called him a couple of times on the Kohler engine on my sawmill. He's always glad to help. I drive right by a Stihl dealer another 30 miles to do business with Wayne because of his knowledge and customer appreciation.
  So Medows Miller if you choose to do business with him, I'm sure you want regret it. Just tell him the man from Pine Hill with the sawmill sent you.

Spike60

Well starting with the first post, the dealer in question could have, and should have, been a little friendlier. But we don't know the history of his past dealings with the guy. He may be a PITA type. But what the old guy was trying to do is something I see occasionally, and he certainly shares the blame here. It's unethical for a shop to do work beyond what the customer requested, and it's equally unethical for a customer to ask for more at time of pickup, and/or have expectations that the work be "thrown in" for free. One of the worst things you can do to alienate someone is to do more than asked and give the guy a bill that is higher than expected. That's likely why the dealer in question had the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" attitude.

An obvious exception would be safety stuff as Marty the Stihl dealer above mentioned or some other observation that the saw clearly won't run. An in that case, you must call the customer to get approval.

TCrew however has a bad taste in his mouth from his experience with his 250. In that instance he was indeed treated poorly. But he now has this customer service thing under the microscope, and he's decided to climb up on the soapbox and do a little more whining/venting. His comment in post #1 asking if this is the norm regarding customer service at saw shops, (plural/inclusive), illustrates that point. Apparently good therapy for you, and you're having fun as you quote and respond to each post in the thread. But as suggested, you really ought to move on. This dealer clearly isn't what you are looking for, so I'd suggest that you find another.

Now before you hastily reply to my post, let me point this out: As of this writing, you have 37 posts to your credit here on this forum. 35 of them are in the 2 threads that you started about this incident in which you were so terribly wronged by this dealer. Get over it.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

tcrew

Quote from: Spike60 on January 31, 2012, 04:59:19 PM
Well starting with the first post, the dealer in question could have, and should have, been a little friendlier. But we don't know the history of his past dealings with the guy. He may be a PITA type. But what the old guy was trying to do is something I see occasionally, and he certainly shares the blame here. It's unethical for a shop to do work beyond what the customer requested, and it's equally unethical for a customer to ask for more at time of pickup, and/or have expectations that the work be "thrown in" for free. One of the worst things you can do to alienate someone is to do more than asked and give the guy a bill that is higher than expected. That's likely why the dealer in question had the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" attitude.

An obvious exception would be safety stuff as Marty the Stihl dealer above mentioned or some other observation that the saw clearly won't run. An in that case, you must call the customer to get approval.

TCrew however has a bad taste in his mouth from his experience with his 250. In that instance he was indeed treated poorly. But he now has this customer service thing under the microscope, and he's decided to climb up on the soapbox and do a little more whining/venting. His comment in post #1 asking if this is the norm regarding customer service at saw shops, (plural/inclusive), illustrates that point. Apparently good therapy for you, and you're having fun as you quote and respond to each post in the thread. But as suggested, you really ought to move on. This dealer clearly isn't what you are looking for, so I'd suggest that you find another.

Now before you hastily reply to my post, let me point this out: As of this writing, you have 37 posts to your credit here on this forum. 35 of them are in the 2 threads that you started about this incident in which you were so terribly wronged by this dealer. Get over it.
Spike60, I was under the impression this is what the forum is for. To share experiences,and info. My intention was never meant to get "credits",witch i have no idea what the heck that has 2 do with anything, but just to share and hear other peoples opinion. And i guess u missed a few of my "hasty" replies, but i dont have a problem with the brand. Not to be the PITA type, and no disrespect intended, but isnt it proper to respond to peoples replies here on the forum? I know im new here, but i like talking 2 smart and experienced guys,sorry if that offends u in some way. And just so u know Spike60, please take a look at the little recycled symbol next to the posts title on the main board..Thats there because after receiving what i thought was a good response, i REMOVED the post completely, and one of the the Addmins reposted it or recycled it. Anyway, i came back and there the post was with that symbol, so ur comment about this post having anything 2 do with credits are completely off friend. But thank u for ur input,,and TRUST me,, im over it!       
Have a Nice Day :)

aquacanis

Well I have to tell ya the guy will not be in business long.  We have a small engine shop where I live that never lets a chain saw or other engine leave without setting it to proper idle speed, and carburetor mix adjustments.  It takes a trained
technician about 3 minutes at best for most equipment.  They tell you they did it and let you try it right on the spot if you wish.  Best advertising you can get and they are overwhelmed with business.  On rare occasion they get one back within a day of leaving because of some small mistake or something they may have missed and they usually correct it free of charge if they just worked on it.  They know that every technician will miss something once in a while.  A service business is exactly that. Quality Service with a smile.

Meadows Miller

Paper Maker sounds like the type off place I wanna deal with and im use to driving 35mi atm  ;)  ;D ;D 8) 8) even though Im a Husky Man I may have to jump the fence just once i like the price of their 880 and We will need something big for end trimming packs  :) ;) :D :D as I like to support someone who dose the rite thing Mate ;)  ;D ;D smiley_thumbsup I take it they will service Huskys Mate   ;) ???

Aquacanis Welcome to The Forum  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) sounds like you got a bloody good shop up there Mate  ;) :) :) ;D smiley_thumbsup

Regards Chris

Taylortractornut

Our Stil dealer near work tunes our saws and trimmers.      We live in a town with one dealer and their smart alec attitude cost them our business.    We probably spend 1200 a year on the 3 saws and 3 trimmers at work.   Its not much but they appreciate our business near work.   THe home town dealer lost business with my dad years ago over a weed trimmer.     Dad was recovering from a stroke and bought a new trimmer for himself and to use at work.     He went to the local dealer and bought the most expensive one they had and also a saw.     Dad spent nearly 1000 on that purchase.    A few weeks after buying the trimmer woulndt run right.    He carried it back 4 times they would tune it and do a few  things and ay it was right.    Dad went in one time and asked the store owner and mechanic about it again.   The Stihl rep for our area was there and they kinda made fun of dad.    Dad told them he had  bought a weedeater brand weed trimmer to use while the stihl was i nthe shop.       

The  distributer said well you wont have anything with the weed eater.   Dad said that it ran longer than the Stihl did.       Meanwhile I talked to a freind that was a Husky dealer and he came by after work and tried it.    He said it was the coil and for dad to order it from Stihl and he would fix it off the books.   THe Husky dealer fixed it spot on.       Now we buy all our stuff 25 miles away. 

Same poor attitude from a  Kubota dealer cost them a sale.   Dad was about ot buy a new Kubota tractor for work and the salesman was on the phone with a friend yacking about his dumb customers.    We had gone in to buy a new tractor,  mower, blade and loader about 35k sale.     We were patient and when he got out to the tractor we wanted we  showed him a rip in the tractor tire and the dealer  just got plain arrogant.    We had the truck and trailer and a company check for the  purchase and was that close to  buying it.  THe dealer looked surprised when we drove off. 
My overload permit starts after sunset

Ohio_Bill

The Stihl dealer I go to has sold me saws for over 30 years and has provided great service .Several times over the years I have ask about a saw and they have told me they wont sell it to me because they know I am someone that uses the saws a lot, so I say ok what saw can I have and they sell it to me.  Good People.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Paul_H

We had a Chainsaw(Stihl/Husky) dealer that lost one of our saws and didn't order the parts he said he would.I was going to unload on him but instead asked if everything was ok.
His face changed and he told me about his wife's diagnosis of cancer and the late nights with her and trying to care for his then,school aged kids.
His wife died not too many months afterward.My problems seemed were insignificant..

TessiersFarm

We had an awsome stihl dealer in town, seams like family issues got in the way and the brother I liked dealing with went his own way, nothing against the rest of the family but I do business elsewhere nowadays.  The new guy sells Husky, I was hesitant at first but he services my stihls and when it came time for a new saw he offered me to buy at the other place and he would service it.  I figured why not try a husky, still un decided on that one but I went in today to pick up a couple of chains he was supposed to sharpen for me ( I hand sharpen 3 or 4 times then bring them to him to fix as he calls it), they were not done.  He grabbed 2 new chains off the shelf and tried to charge me the price to sharpen 2 chains.  I gave him $30 cash and told him to call me when the others are sharp.  At the same time I had a run in at work, where I am a supervisor, this week with an un-happy customer and lost my temper and said some things I shouldn't have.  My boss met with the guy and the guy told him if one of his employees talked like that to a customer he would be fired on the spot.  My boss told him if a customer talked to one of his supervisors like that they would no longer be a customer.  We compromised that we were both a little out of line and will be more proffesional in the future.  Bottom line is there are 2 sides to every story, and not every customer is one a business needs or wants.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

tcrew

Quote from: TessiersFarm on February 11, 2012, 09:26:00 PM
We had an awsome stihl dealer in town, seams like family issues got in the way and the brother I liked dealing with went his own way, nothing against the rest of the family but I do business elsewhere nowadays.  The new guy sells Husky, I was hesitant at first but he services my stihls and when it came time for a new saw he offered me to buy at the other place and he would service it.  I figured why not try a husky, still un decided on that one but I went in today to pick up a couple of chains he was supposed to sharpen for me ( I hand sharpen 3 or 4 times then bring them to him to fix as he calls it), they were not done.  He grabbed 2 new chains off the shelf and tried to charge me the price to sharpen 2 chains.  I gave him $30 cash and told him to call me when the others are sharp.  At the same time I had a run in at work, where I am a supervisor, this week with an un-happy customer and lost my temper and said some things I shouldn't have.  My boss met with the guy and the guy told him if one of his employees talked like that to a customer he would be fired on the spot.  My boss told him if a customer talked to one of his supervisors like that they would no longer be a customer.  We compromised that we were both a little out of line and will be more proffesional in the future.  Bottom line is there are 2 sides to every story, and not every customer is one a business needs or wants.
and the other side could say, not every business is one the customer wants or needs. :) Hence i now make the 25 mile trip 2 a shop that wants and deserves my business.. How did you ever make out with those couple chains? Did you end up just buying new,or did you wait for the used ones to get sharpened?
And thank you TessiersFarm for your input.

Paul_H

Quote from: tcrew on February 12, 2012, 09:11:45 AM
Hence i now make the 25 mile trip 2 a shop that wants and deserves my business..

It sounds like a win/win situation for you and the shop you used to deal with.

analogman

I kind of feel that the blame lies with both parties.  The dealer certainly could have been more polite, and explained the policy, and told the customer that it is not their policy to do work outside of the specified job.  (When I get new tires for my vehicle, the shop asks me if I want an alignment done, even though it ought to be done with new tires.)    But it takes time (and possibly parts), and therefore costs money, to do a tuneup.  If they bill the customer for work unasked for, how would the customer react?  I imagine they would get a lot of unpaid-for work.  I have a very good dealer/service guy that takes care of my saw.  But he calls me if he thinks the saw needs some work that was not specified.  He does a thorough job on my saws (and my tiller, etc.), but he doesn't do, nor does he bill me, for work I didn't ask for.  The same way I expect to be treated by my auto mechanic, doctor, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!