iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grilling Pit/Outdoor Oven project

Started by Mooseherder, January 27, 2012, 06:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I am making some adjustments and adding some options to the pit side of the outdoor ovens that I talked about in the Cooking Pavilion thread.
This option with the elevator allows you to regulate the distance to the hot coals.
I've used it a couple times so far and it's working good but I see that it does need some improvements.
It needs to have guide rails or rods which I will be installing in the front part of the grill on the inner corners of the grate.  I'll drill the concrete and insert the rods into the holes.  You can see the rods in the front area of the bricks while I was dry fitting. I'm thinking that will stabilize it enough without having to put any out backside.  I'd like to keep that as clear as possible to clean or feed the fire.
The wood handles are from some wood I found on the side of the road.  I don't know what it is but it's been in the garage for a year and it hasn't cracked yet.  My garage gets mighty hot so it's cured. ;)
I turned the wood handle and the section in between the conduit elbows on my lathe.  The steel bar rod is from Orange depot and has pre drilled holes.  The brackets are heavy duty shelf brackets.  Then on top of  that I have some chain link fence rings and threaded pipe couplings to accomodate the right diameter of the steel rod so it wasn't sloppy.  I may redesign that area. 
I'm currently using a chain that is tethered to the corner and sliding it on top of the screw holding the left chain to the grate.  It holds the grate at whatever position it is moved to and it also needs to be easy on or off accessory if I want the contraption off.

LeeB

neat idea. Might want to stiffen up the grill so it doen't buckle when it gets hot.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sparky1

looks like a simple and effective design! no need to reinvente the wheel!!  :)  a couple a ribeyes on there would be amazing!!
Shaun J

Mooseherder

Quote from: LeeB on January 27, 2012, 08:53:20 PM
neat idea. Might want to stiffen up the grill so it doen't buckle when it gets hot.
Yep, you can't see it because it has blackened but there is a continuous chain that runs under each side of the grate underneath and comes up through the ends and into the triangles center in the picture.  I had bought other steel angle to do a reinforcement originally but  decided that may be overkill and this should work in theory or it's back to the drawing board. ;)

LeeB

I still say stiffining will be good. It already looks to be slightly bowed  in the center. Even just another piece of chain on each side to support the middle section in addition to the two end chains.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Mooseherder

It's bowed because it was on my other grill pit for a couple years. :D

LeeB

isawlogs

:D :D :D 

Just looking at that pit makes my mouth want to be carried to the fridge.....  :-\ 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Norm

I've always wanted a santa maria pit, yours looks awesome Glenn.  :)

thecfarm

A great idea. Get some heat under that thing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

Thanks Norm,  now I know what to call this thing. ;)

isawlogs

SMP , I'll try and remember  ;D 

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

zopi

have been working on a firepit made out of a twenty inch truck rim..ugly is the operative term..kicker for that size rim, (this is a five hole budd split rim) is that a weber grill lid and grill fit nicely...or whatever cheap knockoff you scrounge roadside...anyhow, added a fancy fire set to it, a pair of tee fence posts with a piece of chainlink top rail for a cross piece, and some scavenged rod stock for pot hangers..I will get them bent up next time I get the itch to work on this project..and can figure out where my bending dies are...I plan to refine this as part of my semi (get it?) lol portable kowboy kitchen stadium for the backyard...all the grills and smoke toys are going in one area...so we can hang out and drink beer in a completely unrefined git r done, no lifestyle channel, hurry up and scorch the meat redneck atmosphere. (plus it might tick off the nosy twit two doors down.)

Nice grill..I have often envied folks with masonry grills or nice outdoor kitchens...just never could find or figure out a setup that I liked enough to make permanent.
been playing with some rocket stove (google it) ideas for a nice big outdoor oven, and maybe an institutional stove for a steamer/canner setup..but those are all mobile..made out of 55 gal drums.  now, If I could just find a nice little stash of stainless drums...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

That grill is a little bowed because of all those huge thick steaks that he has grilled on it  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Probaly learned that from Tom.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

No doubt, I've seen where he works!

Mooseherder

I decided to get going again on this project especially after seeing Local4fitters oven.
Got some forms in on the weekend and poured it tonight.  It sure was hot. ::)
The forms were tap conned into the brick so they held in place.
I have some bricks supporting the plywood underneath.
The exhaust vent is a little twist added to brush the ash out, give the fire air. (or mess up the whole project) :D

At least now it's all tied in together.
I'll let it cure while searching for a brick source.
I colored the concrete mix just so the sides match.
High speed duct tape was also used in this project to seal small gaps. ;D

Local4Fitter

That looks like a great outdoor kitchen area.
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

Mooseherder

Made some progress on the Brick Oven and the third course is going up. :)
Finally found some bricks and refractory mortar at a place local.
The 50 pound bag of mortar cost 77 dollars so I bought one for now and it looks like I will need one more. ::)
I have been making the mortar in small batches in a little plastic dish tub that is enough for about 6 or 7 bricks at a time.  I've used about half the bag so far to this point.
I'm going to finish this course and then start curving the dome.
No firm plans just kinda winging it as it goes.  I would really like to make it gas fired along with wood.
I have to make that decision soon.  The piping could be run up thru the bottom ash vent and secured to the inner walls.   A thermometer and light would also be cool but not absolutely necessary.
A brick can be put over the ash pit hole if needed.  Maybe put a handle on it so it can be moved with a stick thru the front door.
I'll have to rework the grill pit a little to match the oven after.

Magicman

Wow-wee, that is gonna be a fine oven for sure.  It will be interesting to see it develop.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

I just came in from working on it.  It's not a hundred degrees but it's still hot. ::)
Got the 3rd course done and a 4th on the back.
The bricks for the curve are being cut by hand.  I'm taking a 9 inch brick and making pencil lines on the 4 inch and 5 inch marks then chiseling on the diagnal on both sides until it cracks where I want it.  Each brick is taking a couple minutes.  They're ready for tomorrow.  I may have just enough mortar to do the first curved course.

Don_Papenburg

Make a plywood buck to the shape of your arch,it will help with the bricking of the arch.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Mooseherder

This is where the first bag of mortar got me.  I'll pick up another one and hope it'll be enough.
It is slow going but a lot of fun.  Chiseling the bricks for the curve has allowed me to have smaller mortar joints.
I mist with water and rub the brick faces clean after each batch.  The mortar is setting up quick when it touches the hot bricks.  The water mist also makes the joints smooth and professional looking. ;D

Here is the arch forming.  It'll tie into the front and back for strength and support.
The chimney will be just after the top of the front opening.

beenthere

Looking great. Some how the urge to eat a pizza fresh baked in an outdoor oven is tickling my fancy right now.
You'll be building another at camp (I'm thinkin) ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Yes we sure would like one there also but there is never enough time to do the basics.  I dream of making trails on our property along with finishing the mill, making a bridge to cross the stream.  Then there is mowing the lawn. :D
I can't keep up with the trees falling over.  Semi retirement will hopefully cure that.  I need a couple more lifetimes for the Winery and the Mill. ;)
We spent an entire Vacation fixing the cabin up a couple years ago.
We are going back in August.  The kids are coming and we plan on just hanging out for a real vacation.

Thank You Sponsors!