iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bark solved yellow birch, balsam pop,sugar maple

Started by SwampDonkey, February 10, 2004, 08:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Here are some bark pictures I took today on the woodlot: Try your hand at ID'ing them.  ;D

30 inch DBH (ID'ed by steveo_1 as Yellow birch)

9 inch DBH (ID'ed by Tom and Ron Scot as balsam poplar)

8 inch DBH (ID'ed by Corley as sugar maple)

have fun  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

@ Corley

1)Nope
2)Nope and......
3)yup

have another stab, look them over closer ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

We'll see what the others have to say.  I got one 8).  Those other two could pass for sugar maple though.  If I could see the whole tree.... ;) ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

It's kind of  double whammy here.  Bark in a picture from a different world.  Hmmmmm :P  double hmmmmmmm.mm :P

If it were in my back yard I'd say one looks like water oak bark.  Since Water oak is a red oak, I'll say red oak.

Two looks all the world like persimmon.  Do you have Persimmon way up there on the other side of the tree line? :D

SwampDonkey

@ Tom

1) nope (found as far south as northern Gorgia)
2) and double nope (found around the Lake and NE states, all over Canada and Alaska, east of the rockies up to the tree line)

SwampDonkey

Tree number 1 can have golden yellow bark or silver grey bark. Bark in younger trees will peel in small strips. Do you see the bark is kind of peeling in the photo, lower left corner?

Tree number 2 grows in river bottoms, cedar stands, river islands and flood plains. Often times can be found in hardwood stands near open areas with springs, often associated with willow and black ash.

:)

Tom

It still looks like Persimmon butTulip Poplar or Black Gum would fit #2, I have no clue as to what #1 could be.

SwampDonkey

Tom:

Do you see in #2 about 1/3 the way up from the bottom, the bark there is cubical? It runs in a band around the circumference of the bole, might be an annual node. Not sure. The bark will become scaly or shaggy on older trees, with deep fissures. This tree is largest along the MacKenzie River up NWT, Canada's largest fresh water river system.

http://www.aquatic.uoguelph.ca/rivers/mac1.htm

Tom

Holy Cow!  I didn't know there was anything way up there.  My map has a dotted line along the Great Lakes  and a note above it that says "....and Here There Be Tigres and Ogres". :D

I didn't suspect, from the picture, that it might be a softwood,but, I found a comment on a PDF about the MacKenzie River basin growing bigger than normal White Spruce.  

Now, I wouldn't know most spruce if you slapped me in the face with one but I'll guess that this may be a Spruce.  A White one. :-/ :)

SwampDonkey

Tom:

ahhhhhhh... hmmmm... nope ;)

Its in the Populous genus

There are some honker white spruce up there though ;)

Grampy was asked one spring by a sport from the States if he could come hunt polar bears in New Brunswick. He said he could come hunt tigers, polar bears, elephants anything ya want. ;)  hehehe

Tom

Hey!  That's a good site Ron.  :D  I put it in my favorites :D

Ok, Swamp Donkey, I've got a little backup here,  I'll make another guess. Populous balsamifera.  Hadn't considered cottonwood or Balsam poplar. Got to get up that way one day and see what you guys are growing.

We have Cottonwood. ;D

SwampDonkey

Tom

Was't there a movie called 'Field of Cotton'? Uhhh, no that was 'Field of Dreams'.

Don't get upset with my quotation here: ;)

I remember a partial quote from Sandra Locke, an actress in a movie called 'The Gauntlet' by Clint Eastwood. "...you got nothing but fluff in your brain..." I don't dare give the whole script because she had quite a errmmmm  mouthful to say. All I can say is Clint responded to the Sherriff with "You were the one that wanted to talk". :)

Isn't that awfull? hehehehe

I like Clint Eastwood Movies  :) ;) :D ;D :)

SwampDonkey

Tree number 1 is growing in a cedar stand with Large trembling aspen (20 + DBH), fir and white spruce. Most all that stand was harvested 10 years ago and is now fully stocked again BTW. There is also some clumps of tree # 2 there also. Its one tree that isn't a very great site indicator because it can grow in lowlands as well as uplands or ridges. I only saw this tree in mountain tops down in VA, TN, GA and NC on public lands. It doesn't like super wet ground though either. Its seeds are in cone-like upward turned bracts. I've planted quite a few on my woodlot from collected seed.

steveo_1

ummm is tree #1 birch??? just a guess from the info you gave on the bark from  youngsters.
got wood?

SwampDonkey

Yellow birch indeed Betula allaghanieansis

Thank You Sponsors!