iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member Introduction

Started by jpsheb, January 27, 2012, 07:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpsheb

Hello, I am relatively new to this site (this is my first post, at least!).

I am an aspiring tree-farmer, forester, and low-impact logger with 75-acres w/ 13-acres of 14-year old southern yellow pines and the rest in mixed hardwoods. 

I've been spending the two years since purchasing the land learning everything I can about trees, forestry, logging, and equipment.  At the same time, I've been slowling building up my capabilities--equipment-wise and now have a Kubota M6040, a passle of chainsaws, a couple of chainsaw mills, a band-saw mill, and an assortment of arborist-gear, rigging gear, and safety gear. 

My background is as a mechanical engineer (licensed PE) and naval officer.  I worked, saved, and research for many years before making this jump, and when I did, was eager to start selling logs to the mill!  However, the market down-turn was a blessing in disguise for me, since I at least had the sense to not try harvesting and sellling in such a poor market.  Instead, it has given me time to learn, practice, learn more, and start the uphill battle regarding having all the right tools for the job and knowing how to use them.  All while maintaining and improving the land. 

Right now, I'm at the point where I need to do some clearing out in the pines (1" to 2" pine & hardwood saplings need to go) prior to a commercial thinning.  So it's time for a clearing saw!

jdtuttle

Welcome to the forum. Look around & you'll find a wealth of information & good people.
jim
Have a great day

WDH

You might want to use herbicide on the hardwood so that it does not re-sprout.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Are you going to Forestry School? Or do you mean you are aspiring to be a want-a-be Forester? ;) :)

Takes 4 years of college to be a Forester. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

jpsheb,welcome to the forum. what kind of mill you have,How many HP is that kubota?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jpsheb

Thanks, Jeff.  & good point.  Being a licensed Professional Engineer (PE), I really should have been more aware of job title issues.  I really don't care too much about the title, since I'm not looking to hire myself out and am really interested in what I am doing, not what I am called.   I was simply trying to explain what I wanted to *do*.  I didnt mean to step on any toes, and apologize, if I did. 

I'll be pursuing certification, registration &/or licensing, but have to learn more about the laws and options for licensed PE's as well, at least with respect to logging and rigging.  (and other paths other than just getting a 2nd Bachelors degree).  I have multiple mechanical engineering degrees and would like to avoid a 2nd bachelors degree if I can avoid it!  I still have anxiety dreams about my first degree, completed  16-years ago:)

jpsheb

Quote from: thecfarm on January 28, 2012, 09:16:38 AM
jpsheb,welcome to the forum. what kind of mill you have,How many HP is that kubota?

Thanks Thecfarm!  The mills are a no-name 13hp band mill with 30" throat capacity and a Sperber 50 chain mill with a pair of Stihl 880 powerheads.  The Kub is 64 HP net & 56 @ the PTO.  I picked the biggest one I was comfortable taking about in the woods (but will be buildng a good energy-absorbing cage before using her for logging work!) 

thecfarm

That 64 hp will do it. I have a 40hp NH with a 3pt winch. I just play with firewood for myself with it now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF.  I would like to see a video of the twin 880 Sperber chain saw mill in action.  :o

And thanks for serving our country in the Navy!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

woodmills1

welcome and nice to see you are thinking about this stuff
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

mad murdock

Welcome jpsheb! Sounds like you are well on your way. I need to get a look into the likes of your double CSM, sounds very interesting
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jpsheb.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jpsheb

Quote from: fishpharmer on January 28, 2012, 12:58:46 PM
Welcome to FF.  I would like to see a video of the twin 880 Sperber chain saw mill in action.  :o

And thanks for serving our country in the Navy!

So would I!  When I get the 2nd saw back up and running (It may have a sheared key), I'll see if I can video it. 

The navy work, as an Engineering Duty Office was a pleasure and a blast...no thanks needed:)

jpsheb

Quote from: mad murdock on January 28, 2012, 08:23:59 PM
Welcome jpsheb! Sounds like you are well on your way. I need to get a look into the likes of your double CSM, sounds very interesting

They don't make this model anymore, but it's a good heavy duty one.  It has a 60" double-ended bar for a Stihl 090 088, 084, etc.  I've only used it so far with one saw at a time (helper handle at the other end).  I have a Dolmar 143 (7-hp) that will run it. 

When I have it running with both saws, I'll see about posting some pics and a review.  I have some elm and willow oak crotches I'd like to slab up.

Thank You Sponsors!