iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

back in the woods in 2012

Started by Quebecnewf, January 26, 2012, 08:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

well we are back in the woods once again and starting to cut a few logs and a bit of firewood. I now climb trees to place my winch snatch block the higher the better.

The older you get the more you learn. or not

Quebecnewf

isawlogs

Have you been watching those guys out on the west coast   ;D :D 

How is the snow and ice your way... Here theres is about no snow ( 8 inches ) and the ice aint good to drive on ....  :-\   Just talked to a friend over the phone and a truck went through the ice north of Ottawa this week on McGregor lake. 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LOGDOG

How long did it take you to get good at climbing trees?

Quebecnewf

very little ice here our ice bridge to the mainland has just formed and is about 4" thick in places. You drive fast and don't look back or stop.

This is a pic of me in my 3rd tree but I am getting better ( i think)

I may top a tree some day just to say I did it.

Quebecnewf

beenthere

Always adding a bit more spice in your life.  ;D ;D

As if crossing thin ice wasn't enough?  heheheh
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LOGDOG

I've always wanted to buy a pair of spikes and a climbing belt just to give it whirl. I get the heebie jeebies when I get up over 25 feet or so though. Wish their was a pill a guy could take to get rid of that feeling. Love flying though, just the open air height that gets to me.

Quebecnewf

The spikes and belt are my late uncles. He was a man who had poleo (spelling) when he was 13 years old and it left him with a deformed arm and hand. He never let that slow him down he was a master carpenter woodworker/ carver/ electrician/plumber and everthing else. I spent many hours in his shop watching him carve wood and I only wish I could do some of the things he did. He built boats and houses drove snowmobile and used a chainsaw all with one arm.

The belt and spurs mean alot to me and I think of him every time I use them. I do believe he would like to see how they are being used now. He loved trying new things and doing things different

LOGDOG

I totally understand that kind of nostalgia. I've got some things like that in my life. Take good care of those spikes and the belt.

SamB

Allow me to give you a few pointers about using the climbers and belt, tools I'm very familiar with. A couple of things don't look comfortable from the pictures. The top straps on your climbers look to be too high on your leg which leads me to believe the climbers need to be adjusted. Top of the leg iron which includes the adjustable sleeve should be about ½ inch below the bony part of the inside of your knee. The body belt looks like it is too high above your hips, more comfortable especially when your in a working position if it's lower. When you're in a working position standing on your climbers get in the habit of locking one or both knees back. Never wear a new pair of boots when using climbers because you're sure to gaff them. ;D

thecfarm

Good luck with the ice road. I always enjoy how hard you work to get the wood out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine372

i belive you need to invest in a throwball and line. then some cheap 1/2 rope. set line, tie running bowline, pull tree over. its alot faster than putting the hooks on.

bill m

I don't think he is doing it to pull the tree over just hanging a block up high as a redirect and to get the logs to pull over obstacles easier.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

treefarmer87

the woods behind you looks pretty, what kind of trees are those?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

redlaker1

that looks like alot of the bush around here,    if thats pretty..    I would hate to see what ugly looks like!!   haha

Ice roads are just about in full swing around here,  they are already hauling 1/2 loads with the 18wheelers.   been a pretty warm winter so the are doing relatively well.     
been on the ice now with the pickups since dec 22

be careful out there

snowstorm

Quote from: treefarmer87 on January 27, 2012, 08:55:37 PM
the woods behind you looks pretty, what kind of trees are those?
spruce.....black maybe??

isawlogs

relaker ... Where abouts are you from  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

redlaker1

northwestern ontario    land of a million spruce swamps

shelbycharger400

i cant believe anyone still uses the single climbing belt.  when going through my stepdads stuff i insisted that his belt be thrown out.  i dont climb, i dont like heights,  but someday i will if i buy spikes ($$$)  big thing with the single belt, if in a mishap, it could slide up and break your arms as you fall through it.

side note, how long are climbing ropes "good" for?

Quebecnewf

Thanks for the interest guys. You are right I do need to adjust things belt and spur wise. Belt is very small my uncle was a very small man . I only climpb up about 12 to 15 feet. I climb to set a snatch block and then use that as a high winching point for my gas winch (see pics in my gallery) . Most of the wood you see is balsam fir and spruce. Mostly small logs.

I could do the same job with a small section of alum ladder but no challenge in that. I hope to go higher later if I can find a large spruce tree that is located in an area that is good as a center pulling point.

The high snatch block makes so much difference in yarding the logs they very seldom hook in even with no skidding cone. Once I have gathered them around the base of the tree we then use the snatch block to pile them up .We pile the large logs on the top of the pile and when it comes time to load them on the sleigh it is so much easier to roll them down on to the sleigh rather than lift them up on the sleigh.

Quebecnewf

A few pics from last year to show what I mean

thecfarm

I hope you will be posting pictures of this year's events.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

It's good to see you back in the woods and getting some logs yarded, Quebecnewf.  Don't rush it, your climbing skills will improve with time.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customdave

Always enjoy your interesting pictures, don't forget to play safe up there...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!