iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deutz Diesel Issue

Started by Corley5, January 13, 2012, 10:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

does sound like a possible pump issue but injector nozzels can do the same thing as you are describing and in some of the older Deutz engines slobering injectors was not all that uncommon.

I would pop the injectors lines first and check fuel delivery pressure (if in spec) then pop the injectors get them reconditioned.

If pressure is off well then it recon for pump and injectors.

Kiko goes into more detail and deeper and he is on the money if you need to go further but id start with looking for a slobbery injector and go from there.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Corley5

I must of had glow plugs on mind when I made the post earlier in the day.  It's the injectors I sent out to be tested.  It doesn't have glow plugs  :)  I don't hear anything that sounds like an exhaust leak.  I'm still hoping it's an injector  :)
  It's an F4L912.  The clock shows around 5,300 hours.  Thanks for all the advice  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bandmill Bandit

at 5300 hours I will pretty much bet on injectors. Never owned a deutz that went past 6000 hrs without recon on injectors. I owned 2 of them and my cousin owned 3 of them. Injectors came out for recon between 4500 and 5000 ish hours.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

swampbuggy

Here are a couple of things to look at from my experience.
1. There is a lift pump (fuel pump) on the side of the injector pump that has a pre-screen in the top of it. Take out the small bolt, 8mm wrench I think, and see it it os clogged. Cleans out easy.
2. This fuel injection pump may not have an oil feed from the engine so the governor weights could be sticking. On the rear of the pump is an allen head plug and about 3/4 of the way down is a bleed plug. It is possible that diesel fuel has washed into this cavity and it needs to be flushed. The drain/bleed plug is NOT the one secured with the anti tamper wire. I think its a 10mm and when opened you can see a hole in it. Open the bleeder, take the top plug out, and flush with engine oil until it flows clean and slows down. Close the bleeder and do not add any more oil. Put the cap on and run it for a while to see if the rack in the injection pump frees up.
3. 4 cyl engines usually don't have an aneroid on them because they don't have a turbo. If yours does have a turbo it could be a bad or plugged tube from the turbo to the pump ( it won't sense the need for more fuel and the pump will not go to full throttle) Let us know if its a turbo model

Thats all I can remember on those engines right now. I'll sleep on it...

If your getting the injector tips cleaned and pop tested make sure you bleed the pump to injector line..They will not self bleed very well.

Good luck.

Swamp
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

swampbuggy

I want to check the compression before I put the injectors back in if I can find an adapter. 

The Cummins b series injectors are very similar and if you can find the adapter for one of them it should work.
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

timh

start with simple things check the fuel filter

Corley5

My injectors came back today.  According to the shop they were shot.  They've been reconditioned with new tips.  Gonna put them in tomorrow.  Hope it does solve the problem  :)

beenthere

Will keep our fingers crossed. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

Corley5

Injectors installed and machine running better than ever but the problem was not the injectors.  Having them reconditioned did make it run better and eliminated the light blue smoke that it's always produced.  It never has used engine oil but smoked just bit.  That problem is solved  8) 8) 8)
  I started putting it back together late yesterday afternoon and ran out of patience so it was time to go home  ;D  Finished it up this morning.  Bled it and it fired up during the process  8) 8)  Sounded good until we revved it up and it did the same DanGed thing  steve_smiley  :'( :( :'( :( :o :)  So now what  ???  As I was standing there thinking about injector pump repair, fire rings etc. Bob, one of the guys that works for me, pulled out the air filter.  Now I checked the air filter right at the beginning of this whole affair after talking to my neighbor who has an 83 year lifetime experience with iron.  First thing he told me was to check the air filter.  I did, pulled it out, tapped it out, it wasn't bad by any means and wasn't that old.  However I didn't pull the 2ndary filter  ::)  smiley_dunce smiley_dunce  Not that it would have made any difference with the engine shut off.  Even today it looked fine but we noticed a difference in the way the engine ran as soon as it was removed and with it removed the engine ran fine at full throttle.  No smoke no miss.  We put the primary back in and left the final out and it still ran fine.  A trip to Carquest for two new filters and it's fixed ::) :)  I still don't understand how a secondary filter can go bad without the primary getting plugged but it happened.  I guess it's a cumulative process  :)  I've had the machine almost two years and have not changed that filter so I have no idea how old it is but it didn't appear unserviceable today.  It's in the trash can at Carquest.  My experience with farm tractors in ultra dusty conditions we changed the primaries when they needed it and the secondaries were changed at the beginning of the season in the spring and before late summer tillage began in August.  I should have changed this one when I got the machine  ::)  A learning experience for sure but it still seems odd that it went bad all at once ???
  So I've got reconditioned injectors, new air filters, it's running great and the light blue smoke is gone.  Having the injectors done wasn't a bad thing  8)

kiko

Good news for you. I have missed the inner filter as well.

ScottAR

Good news.   We only have one machine with a secondary, the manual says change secondary every other change of the primary.   I try to follow unless I can't remember when I changed it.   ::)  If this occurs, I change it anyway.  If I was smarter, I'd write the date on the end of the filter. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Bandmill Bandit

i use a red and black sharpie and just put and X on the end of both. If they have one black X when you pull the primary to change it then you just change the primary and it goes in with a red X. The secondary gets a second X with the red marker beside the black one. next change you get a double X when you pull the primary so you know you change em both.
has worked good fro me.

Thank You Sponsors!