iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how do I harvest this

Started by Dave VH, January 29, 2012, 02:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave VH

Hey yall, I'm not sure the best way to drop this tree, and harvest the logs out of it.  The main trunk is 50" diameter,  the limbs are over 24" diameter, the first limb is 8½' off the ground.  My largest saw is a 440 magnum with a 28" bar.  It would be easier to drop it to the left of the picture, as far as room on the ground.  This ametur would love some advice from some professionals.

I cut it twice and it's still too short

tyb525

Cut as low a stump as possible, cut the rest into 18" lengths ;D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dave VH

really?  I thought that the trunk being hard maple might have some value as a mill log.  Truth is, I don't know.

Ianab

How far from the stump to the first big branch?

If it's 8ft or more, then you have a potential saw log..

Otherwise, firewood is probably the most value.

The tree appears to be growing in an open area which results in the heavy branching from a low level, and no good sawlogs to be had.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dave VH

yeah, it's over 8', just barely.  My father in law (the farmer) asked me to take it out.  He doesn't like big trees on the edges of fields.

Magicman

Be very careful when limbing it up.  :o   There will be some extreme pressures involved and potential danger when sawing those limbs off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave VH

that's kinda my question, do I limb it first, or drop the whole thing and limb it on the ground?

Magicman

Personally, I would fell it first, just be very careful when sawing those underside limbs off.

This Oak tree fell to the left.  Some of the limbs sprung over 6' when I sawed them off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chevytaHOE5674

Looks like nothing but firewood to me. I would drop it in the easiest place possible and start cutting and splitting the firewood from there.

beenthere

Might have a sawlog worth messing with in the butt but would expect some fence wire. Maybe not.

I'd approach this one with knocking off the big limb to the right, then notching on the left and back cutting on the dotted line. Weight of the limbs on the left (without that one on the right) should go where you want it no problem.
After down, then work up the tops for firewood. No decent lumber in the tops, that wouldn't be a pain to dry straight. IMO

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Ahh.. I understand now, you want a plan to get it on the ground (safely)

Is it obviously weighted in any one direction? Hard to tell from one photo. Maybe it would naturally tend to fall away from where the pic is taken?  If you can't tell then it's probably near enough that you can wedge it over.

Lopping one branch off is an option, IF you have a safe way to do it, but lopping of a heavy branch 10ft in the air has its own hazards...

Another option is to set a long cable as high as you can in the tree and attach it it another tree stump or some heavy machinery. Just take the slack out, then make your felling cuts. Then pull it over from a safe distance.

Ian

Edit: As MM suggests, the heavy limbs could also make the butt spring back over the stump, or roll to the side as the tree hits the ground. You want to be making large steps along your escape path as it starts falling. Having it bounce 6 ft in some random direction isn't so bad as long as you are 12ft away and heading in the other direction.  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tyb525

Sorry, I meant the trunk might have some lumber in it, but I wouldn't try for lumber from the top, just firewood IMO.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

steve phillips

hey dave
i would drop it ,cut from butt to the 1st limb , saw the lumber 1/4 sawn and sell it to luithers . even if its on ebay . just my 2 cents worth
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

Dave VH

thankyou everyone, that's the advice that I was looking for.

Woodhauler

It is a firewood tree ! Cut it down and saw it into stove wood and be happy you are warm!!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Dave VH

alright, teach me.  what are the signs that tell all of you that it's just firewood.  I don't understand.  I want to see what yall see.

Ironwood

That aint a pretty drop. I like to cut a notch, start the back cut and then get a VERY long cable to a winch, heavy equip, etc,... then pull it till it snaps. That thing is dangerous. As stated it can "spring" up off the limbs, and the dynamics are NOT good. Firewood.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DouginUtah

It's too dangerous to cut down as a sawlog, so it is suggested that it is just firewood. Doesn't it have to be cut down to make it into firewood?   ???  ;D

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

treefarmer87

If the butt doesnt have metal in it you might get a 8 ft log, the rest could go for nice pulp or firewood :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Dave VH

so the the main reason that it is considered firewood is due to the danger of droping it nice, right?  that I understand.  I don't really need the firewood, I cut up the top of every log that I take into firewood already.
   I guess that that is why I asked the best way to harvest it.  I'll just try what Beenthere suggested and see what happens.  Maybe its rotten, maybe it'll crack on landing.  If so, then yall are right, firewood.  Thanks for clarifying.  I've got a lot to learn.

tyb525

Dave, even though it is a field tree, I would call it a "yard tree". Clues are, the trunk is very short before it starts branching off, and once it does branch off, there isn't really a main trunk after that. It is also along a fencerow, so it's likely to have metal in it from the fencing (sawmills hate metal!) I've also seen many trees with that kind of form have rot at the heart.

On the upside, trees like that with bad form CAN have some really nice figure somewhere in the yard.

If you decide to cut it, be VERY careful, especially once it is on the ground. There will be a LOT of tension on those branches   sticking out the sides, when they are on the ground.

If you have your own sawmill to cut the log with, it might be worth it. But if you were planning on having it milled, that 8 foot log might not be worth all the trouble of cutting it down, then paying a sawmill to mill it. Maple is not that valuable, unless it has some great figure in it.

Ianab

Quote from: Dave VH on January 29, 2012, 05:46:45 PM
alright, teach me.  what are the signs that tell all of you that it's just firewood.  I don't understand.  I want to see what yall see.

Good saw logs are straight, solid, have few knots, and no tramp metal.

So a nice tree growing in the shelter of a forest may go up 20, 30, 40 ft before it has any serious branches. That means 2 or 3 good saw logs can be made from it. Tree growing in the open like that don't shed their lower branches early on, and they grow into huge great knotty beasts.

Once you have a major fork, anything above that is questionable, it's smaller, probably not straight, usually has internal stress, in other words, firewood.

I see from your profile that you do have your own mill, so that makes it worth trying for a sawlog from the base. If it's 8ft x 24" dia then you might get 200 brd/ft from it. Once you get the tree on the ground, make firewood out of the tops and then you can decide if the remaining log looks like it's worth sawing. If it's rotten or has metal staining, carry on making firewood. If it now looks like a decent (albeit short) saw log, start milling.

Ian

beenthere

Quote from: DouginUtah on January 29, 2012, 06:07:46 PM
It's too dangerous to cut down as a sawlog, so it is suggested that it is just firewood. Doesn't it have to be cut down to make it into firewood?   ???  ;D

Right, it is not firewood just because it is dangerous to cut down. Firewood if the quality of the wood under that bark with all the indicating surface characteristics is not what one wants in lumber. Any branches are usually loaded with reaction wood and make poor lumber.
The many limbs and twists and turns in this tree indicate firewood at first blush. However, there may be some boards or flitches that come out of this trees' butt log with some of the most gorgeous grain one ever laid eyes on. But can bet there are very few clear straight-grain boards.
8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!