iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping lumber overseas

Started by brdmkr, January 26, 2012, 09:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

A church in Etheopia has contacted our pastor with a need for lumber.  He knows that I have a sawmill and wondered if I could provide the sawing.  This is something that I would really enjoy doing, BUT I want to make sure the lumber can actually be shipped to them.  I am sure we have a bunch of regulations regarding receipt of lumber in the US, but what about shipping to Etheopia?  Would it have to be sterilized?  KD?

Also, I thought about trying to raise funds to buy a mill to ship over there.  However, everything I am reading suggests that they may not have any logs to cut.  Out of curiosity, does anyone know if logs might be available over there or if it has been logged out?

Finally, I'm sorry I haven't posted much lately.  I do not have internet at home anymore and I have to check in during breaks at work.  I  really only have time to read a few posts before getting back to the grind. Although I can now check in using my Droid.  Cool addition Jeff!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

jim king

I think it would be a lot cheaper to buy wood in Europe and send it there.  The request is a bit unusual as they dont build much out of wood there.  Mud and hand made brick or bagged dirt is normal and it repells bullets better.

beenthere

Like Jim says. Much of the lumber is used as forming for pouring concrete. But not many substitutes for forming, as lumber works so well.
After forming use, the lumber is likely used for cooking.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

I had an inquiry about setting up milling operations in Angola a few years back.  They said their alternative was to buy lumber from South Africa.  I believe that is what they did.  Sounds like a more likely marketplace than from your mill.

Depending on species and if green, you may have to have it inspected by the USDA for bugs, and you may have to have it fumigated.  You would also have to load it into containers for overseas shipment. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

estiers

More than likely you will need a phytosanitary certificate.  Contact your State Department of Agriculture and ask if they can look up the regulations on shipping lumber to Ethiopia, as well as how much the ispection and certificate cost. 
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

brdmkr

Thanks guys.  It looks like it may be better to buy closer to them and have it shipped.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Thank You Sponsors!