iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

USS Intrepid

Started by bedway, January 25, 2012, 05:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

Has anyone here ever been to the museum in NYC? I was stationed on the Intrepid way back when. Im thinking of planning a trip there for my wife, family, and several friends.

Raider Bill

Yes several times. Very interesting. They have many different kinds of aircraft on deck and in the hanger bay plus a space capsule or 2. Additionally there is or was a submarine you can tour inside docked next to it. You are allowed to roam around within certain areas. You having been stationed on it will enjoy I would think.

One of the most impressive displays at least I thought so is they have a scale models of the Intrepid, Enterprise and the Reagan next to each other for size comparisons.

Have you been to NYC before? The open top red bus tours of Manhattan and the tour boats that take you around the island are pretty neat although this time of year maybe brisk. The boat tour in the evening is best IMO. The Empire State Bidg at night is another decent attraction as is Times Square.

Be prepared for millions of people jammed into a small space, high prices, noise and smells. People are different there. ;) If you have ever heard the saying "it's a NY thing" that's the place they are talking about. ;D

I think everyone should experience it once as it is quite impressive but in all honesty I can only take 2-3 days then I gots to get out.  smiley_horserider

Also bring some kind of balm because your neck will hurt from looking up at the buildings. The height from sidewalk level is amazing.

Have a great time!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

bedway

Thank you for the reply Raider Bill. When i was aboard the Intrepid back in im thinking 1970, we were supposedly the first military ship allowed into New York City harbor. Being a young unattached sailor all we did was hit the taverns and chase the ladies. I think my perspectives and points of interests in going there now would have lets say, matured a bit  :D. Ive read up on the subject a bit and have seen a lot of recomendations on the museum.

Thank You Sponsors!