iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on used Woodmizer mills (what to look for?)

Started by Lance T, January 25, 2012, 02:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance T

I've made up my mind that I am going to purchase a used Hydro. Woodmizer within the next few months.

I know pretty much any year model would work but my question is for the mills in the 20k range an below. What year models have the best benefits (upgrades)? And the difference between the LT30, LT40 hydro. and super hydro?

From reading about them my (wishlist) would be : board drag back, stationary control or seat, acuset and any other bells an whistles that may or may not come standard.

Thanks

Lance

Norm

Debarker and two plane clamp would be high on my list.

lt-30 doesn't cut as long, 18' if I remember right. Super hyd has 2 hyd pumps.

Magicman

Yup, dual hydraulics is the difference.   Not only will that allow you to load larger logs, that additional hydraulic power is also there when turning those logs.

I like Norm's list and would add SetWorks or Accuset 2.

Personally, with the way that my portable sawmill business has developed I could not operate with anything less.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If I had to pick one thing....can you say DEBARKER! Sure does give me longer blade life!  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

My mill is a 1995 hydraulic.

It has the log loader, log turner, knife type toe boards and the old style flipper type clamp, and a debarker.

The hydraulics will save your back.

The debarker will extend your blade life many times over!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

CalebL

Quote from: Lance T on January 25, 2012, 02:48:26 PM
I've made up my mind that I am going to purchase a used Hydro. Woodmizer within the next few months.

I know pretty much any year model would work but my question is for the mills in the 20k range an below. What year models have the best benefits (upgrades)? And the difference between the LT30, LT40 hydro. and super hydro?

From reading about them my (wishlist) would be : board drag back, stationary control or seat, acuset and any other bells an whistles that may or may not come standard.

Thanks

Lance

There is a 2004 LT40 super hydraulic with, I think, a 51 horse engine and under 1000 hours for sale in southern Arkansas.  He is asking 22k for it. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

pnyberg

Quote from: Magicman on January 25, 2012, 03:41:13 PM
Yup, dual hydraulics is the difference.   Not only will that allow you to load larger logs, that additional hydraulic power is also there when turning those logs.

I hesitate to disagree with Magicman, but I believe the difference in hydraulic performance with the Super is speed, not power.  I couldn't find anything on the Wood-Mizer website, but my 2009 catalog says the log lifting capacity of both the LT40H and the LT40SH is 4400 lbs.   

My only advice is not to pay much attention to the number of hours on the meter.  A heavily used but well maintained machine is probably preferable to a machine that was lightly used and infrequently maintained.

--Peter
No longer milling

Magicman

You are kind Peter, and that may very well be.  When one of my hydraulic pumps went out and I had to finish that job with only one pump my lifting power was greatly decreased.  Now maybe it was speed that I was missing, or maybe backfeed through the other hydraulic pump which overflowed the non working pump, but there was a very real difference.

My thought is that two hydraulic pumps in parallel may not actually pump more pressure which is true, but they can maintain that pressure with a higher volume of pressurized hydraulic fluid.

Anyway, If I had an option at getting a SH, I would take it. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lance T

Where can i find it at? Ive looked at woodmizer, usedsawmills and searching craiglist.

Quote from: CalebL on January 25, 2012, 04:43:45 PM

There is a 2004 LT40 super hydraulic with, I think, a 51 horse engine and under 1000 hours for sale in southern Arkansas.  He is asking 22k for it.

CalebL

Quote from: Lance T on January 25, 2012, 05:02:34 PM
Where can i find it at? Ive looked at woodmizer, usedsawmills and searching craiglist.

Quote from: CalebL on January 25, 2012, 04:43:45 PM

I PM'd you the info.  Good luck. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

inspectorwoody

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Wood-Mizer mills. 1995 Super was just the enigne, 35 Wisc Gas and 40 hp Diesel. 1996 they went to larger motor up down and power feed and two hydraulic pumps. 1998 and newer is the board return and the table. Kubota Diesel is 40 hp Super and 33 hp standard hydraulic. Then the super is a 51 hp Cat engine. The real new mills have the Yanmar 47hp. The lifting of the log loader is the same on the hydraulic mills at 4400 lbs. The log turner is heavier on the super with two teeth plates on the turner. The super mills have stainless steel covers on the back supports. This prevents staining on the lumber. The trailer axle is heavier on a super. LT30 is 16' cutting and the LT40 Super is 21 ' cutting length.
This is a quick answer. But I would be glad to answer any questions specific to you adventure in finding a used mill.
Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chris Burchfield

Google "used saw mills for sale."  Woodmizer came up first and Woodland Mills were like number four down.  Both are sponsors on the left of this page.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

ram384

Sawmill exchange has a large selection and broad range of mills and alot of woodmizers.  Definitely go with a setworks and debarker.  Personally i have ran the LT40h, and LT40sh  the super is my personal preference

cypresskayaksllc

Small things like dry rot tires can add up on a used mill. It wouldnt be a deal breaker but Id advise to take the small things in consideration of price.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Thank You Sponsors!