iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Trees Up the Creek

Started by Magicman, January 24, 2012, 05:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Really they are falling in the creek.  Our soil is so soft that as the creek bank washes, over a period of time, they gradually slough off and settle further into the creek.  My challenge is to drag them out stump and all for sawing.  I'm thinking that sawing the whole tree should produce some interesting lumber.

These two trees are 16"-18" DBH.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

jueston

can't wait to see the lumber....

pineywoods

Methinks you need to borrow Banjo picker's winch.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bill Gaiche

Is that creek big enough to take them out on a barge? bg

Buck

That big ole loader tractor and a couple of snatch blocks you oughta be in business.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WDH

Get them out of there and get the logs cut-to-length.  As I hear that they are poisonous to horses and donkeys, and I know that you custom saw around horses and donkeys, you cannot afford to take that chance with your customers.  So, I will take them off your hands and free you up from all that liability  ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

No horses or donkeys on my place, only one 68 year old magic jackass.  I was just taking a leisurely walk on my place this morning and started wondering what I should do with them.   I'm going to need the old Oliver to help me get them knocked loose and pulled out.  They looked exactly like a couple of "thousand dollar trees".   ;D ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Those really are "highly valuable black walnut trees"!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

No sleep for me tonight worrying about someone ripping me off.  I've got more $$$ hanging in the creek than in the bank.   :o    :)

Bill Gaiche

Maybe a tree on the bank is better than money in the bank. bg

WDH

Unless it finds itself up the creek without a paddle. 

paul case

Highly Valueable Creekside Black Walnut Tree!  ;D  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Radar67

Let me get my 2 pair of 5000 pound  block and tackles. He won't make the night without sleeping..... ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Bill Gaiche

Radar do you have a key to the gate? Will come and help you if needed.bg

mad murdock

Well, the day is here again.  hope you slept ok Magicman.  Any luck making a withdrawal from your bank today?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

jueston

did you have to spend last night sitting on the bank with a gun defending your highly valueble black wallnut truee?  sling_shot

Magicman

My bank assets are well grounded.   ;D

My plans changed drastically this morning when the phone rang.  Note the "Parbuckle" thread.

I postponed a road trip (115 mile) sawing job this week because the forecast said rain.  It hasn't rained in the daytime and three more jobs have come in.  What the heck, I'm gonna load up and go to the Cabin for a few days.   ;D

Raider Bill

I know I'm jumping the gun here asking but how are you going to get them down?
Do you notch them on the bottom then top cut or top cut and hope they don't split or is there another way?

Just trying to learn as I have a few pines doing the same thing over some of my trails that run on the bottom of a dry creek bed and for safety's sake would like to get them down.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

jueston

i am no expert, but i would create a small hinge on the bottom and then cut from the top.....

Magicman

When I get time my plan is to chainsaw those roots loose from the bank and let them fall on over.  That first one may need some backhoe persuasion.  After they fall on over, I should be able to top them and drag the whole tree out, stump and all.

Walnut trees are similar to Pecan in that they have a tap root and really cling to the ground.  Kinda like resisting a withdrawal.   :D

reride82

I thought I read a thread on cutting heavy leaners and have done it in the past.  :P Start with the wedge cut, then a bore cut thru the tree on the back side of the hinge wood but not all the way out the back side, and then cut from the back side until it falls. If you just do a back cut, the tree has a high chance of 'barber chairing' and is very dangerous for the guy on the saw, the bore cut to establish the hinge wood prevents this. There will be some tearing and pulling of the wood fibres between the bore cut and the back cut, but that is much better than getting hurt.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

reride82

'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Magicman

I do not intend to actually fell them because I want the stump still attached.  When I saw the butt log, I want to saw stump and all. 

beenthere

So you may be putting a line up in the tree and use a backhoe to dig out the roots in the bank above? Then try to pull them over?

Or maybe just a line in the tree and pulling would be enough to dislodge rootball and all?
Pulling and with a little help then axing roots still holding in the bank and the tap root might work.

Now there are some folks will get undies in a bundle doing anything like that on a stream bank.  smiley_crying smiley_crying

I'd do it with as little fanfare as possible, then beg for foregiveness if necessary.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!