iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Trees Up the Creek

Started by Magicman, January 24, 2012, 05:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Really they are falling in the creek.  Our soil is so soft that as the creek bank washes, over a period of time, they gradually slough off and settle further into the creek.  My challenge is to drag them out stump and all for sawing.  I'm thinking that sawing the whole tree should produce some interesting lumber.

These two trees are 16"-18" DBH.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

jueston

can't wait to see the lumber....

pineywoods

Methinks you need to borrow Banjo picker's winch.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bill Gaiche

Is that creek big enough to take them out on a barge? bg

Buck

That big ole loader tractor and a couple of snatch blocks you oughta be in business.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WDH

Get them out of there and get the logs cut-to-length.  As I hear that they are poisonous to horses and donkeys, and I know that you custom saw around horses and donkeys, you cannot afford to take that chance with your customers.  So, I will take them off your hands and free you up from all that liability  ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

No horses or donkeys on my place, only one 68 year old magic jackass.  I was just taking a leisurely walk on my place this morning and started wondering what I should do with them.   I'm going to need the old Oliver to help me get them knocked loose and pulled out.  They looked exactly like a couple of "thousand dollar trees".   ;D ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Those really are "highly valuable black walnut trees"!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

No sleep for me tonight worrying about someone ripping me off.  I've got more $$$ hanging in the creek than in the bank.   :o    :)

Bill Gaiche

Maybe a tree on the bank is better than money in the bank. bg

WDH

Unless it finds itself up the creek without a paddle. 

paul case

Highly Valueable Creekside Black Walnut Tree!  ;D  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Radar67

Let me get my 2 pair of 5000 pound  block and tackles. He won't make the night without sleeping..... ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Bill Gaiche

Radar do you have a key to the gate? Will come and help you if needed.bg

mad murdock

Well, the day is here again.  hope you slept ok Magicman.  Any luck making a withdrawal from your bank today?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

jueston

did you have to spend last night sitting on the bank with a gun defending your highly valueble black wallnut truee?  sling_shot

Magicman

My bank assets are well grounded.   ;D

My plans changed drastically this morning when the phone rang.  Note the "Parbuckle" thread.

I postponed a road trip (115 mile) sawing job this week because the forecast said rain.  It hasn't rained in the daytime and three more jobs have come in.  What the heck, I'm gonna load up and go to the Cabin for a few days.   ;D

Raider Bill

I know I'm jumping the gun here asking but how are you going to get them down?
Do you notch them on the bottom then top cut or top cut and hope they don't split or is there another way?

Just trying to learn as I have a few pines doing the same thing over some of my trails that run on the bottom of a dry creek bed and for safety's sake would like to get them down.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

jueston

i am no expert, but i would create a small hinge on the bottom and then cut from the top.....

Magicman

When I get time my plan is to chainsaw those roots loose from the bank and let them fall on over.  That first one may need some backhoe persuasion.  After they fall on over, I should be able to top them and drag the whole tree out, stump and all.

Walnut trees are similar to Pecan in that they have a tap root and really cling to the ground.  Kinda like resisting a withdrawal.   :D

reride82

I thought I read a thread on cutting heavy leaners and have done it in the past.  :P Start with the wedge cut, then a bore cut thru the tree on the back side of the hinge wood but not all the way out the back side, and then cut from the back side until it falls. If you just do a back cut, the tree has a high chance of 'barber chairing' and is very dangerous for the guy on the saw, the bore cut to establish the hinge wood prevents this. There will be some tearing and pulling of the wood fibres between the bore cut and the back cut, but that is much better than getting hurt.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

reride82

Magicman

I do not intend to actually fell them because I want the stump still attached.  When I saw the butt log, I want to saw stump and all. 

beenthere

So you may be putting a line up in the tree and use a backhoe to dig out the roots in the bank above? Then try to pull them over?

Or maybe just a line in the tree and pulling would be enough to dislodge rootball and all?
Pulling and with a little help then axing roots still holding in the bank and the tap root might work.

Now there are some folks will get undies in a bundle doing anything like that on a stream bank.  smiley_crying smiley_crying

I'd do it with as little fanfare as possible, then beg for foregiveness if necessary.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

reride82

I agree with beenthere on the forgiveness issue. Some people get real wound up when stream beds are involved, even though there can be way more disturbance and destruction during spring runoff or during a flood. Are you planning on sawing them up with the root ball still attached? Those could make for some cool slabs  ;) I would image that'd be pretty hard on blades though  ::) Either way, it sounds like a fun project  ;D

Magicman

Quote from: beenthere on January 25, 2012, 04:35:44 PM
Or maybe just a line in the tree and pulling would be enough to dislodge rootball and all?
Pulling and with a little help then axing roots still holding in the bank and the tap root might work.

That is more to my thinking.

Sprucegum

Those trees look pretty straight, they must not have grown up as leaners.

Maybe the tap root is already damaged? How big is the ap root compared to the stump?

pineywoods

You could just wait for a good hard rain and then setup downstream and wait for them to float by  ;D Seriously, I would go for the cable (a long one) and massage the roots with a backhoe or axe. I'm sure doctor B would advise against climbing the tree to attach a cable, but there are other ways.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SPIKER

yep I might just help them down into the creek with some of the backhoe on there and remove out all the loose dirt that dropped in the creek and then let her set for the spring runoff to clean up the stump some...   knock loose the root ball as much as ya can first and pull out any extra dirt piles so flow can get around the roots though...

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

bandmiller2

Majic,how do you clean the root ball enough to mill.??Too bad it couldn't sit in a fast moving stream for a wile to wash it clean. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bill Gaiche

He has a high pressure washer. bg

metalspinner

My buddy has a couple just like that on his farm here in TN. I pointed them out and mentioned I'd help clean them out when the creek took them down. ;)

I'll watch eagerly while you show us how you do it.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sjfarkas

They're in the creek bank!  If you take the stump out you'll end up with more erosion.   use the slash from the tree to put on the exposed dirt to help hold it there.  Good luck getting them out. 
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Ozarkian

Place a stick of dynamite down as far as you can reach under the roots, run a long fuse... Light it and run!!  Make sure you have a tripod with video recorder rolling in place first!  ;D That should get her down. It'll be a BLAST too! ;) ;)

Then saw up the log and send me the lumber. You know you wanna!

-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Don K

Looks like a project me and Terry would love to do. We have some experience with creek retrievals. ;D Don't worry to much about bank erosion as it has been happening just like that since the dawn of time. Better to control the outcome than wait to clean up after mother nature. I recently reclaimed a huge WO from a creek bank in a gully and wish I had pics of the event. But alas I mostly work by myself and do not stop to take pics when I get up a head of steam. Wish I had 2 walnut trees like that. :(

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Bill Gaiche

Was just wondering if MM is ok. Havent heard from him sence he said he was headed for the cabin. I guess he is checking to see if his walnut trees are still there. He maybe trying to get them to the bank. bg

beenthere

Thought he said he was pulling the mill off somewhere (but then it rained) and/or was heading for the cabin. Sounded like he'd be "out a touch" for a time.

QuoteMy plans changed drastically this morning when the phone rang.  Note the "Parbuckle" thread.

I postponed a road trip (115 mile) sawing job this week because the forecast said rain.  It hasn't rained in the daytime and three more jobs have come in.  What the heck, I'm gonna load up and go to the Cabin for a few days.   
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

mebbe he's out gaurding his highly valuble walnut trees
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

He must be up the creek somewhere.

captain_crunch

Magic
looks like tops are hung so they dont fall of their own accord I would sugest you give em a little boost Whole tree and root wad(Oregon termnoligy) will be problem if you can saifly cut a short log off when they lay out flat it would be easier Wish I were closer bucking root wads is day to day work for a West Coast Timber Faller some of them were 50-60 in at wad end JUST becarefull ole buddy
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Magicman

Some of you got it right.  I am "Web Free" at the Cabin.   ;D

Since I had three more SYP logs to Parbuckle and haul home I just deadheaded the trailer to the Cabin, worked on my ceiling for parts of 4 days, and then picked up my SYP logs on the way home this evening.

After looking at them again, I have decided to wait until I haul my backhoe over to my place before I attempt those Walnut trees.  My little red wagon is already loaded too heavily to mess with them otherwise.

eastberkshirecustoms

Puff...and in a cloud of smoke.... he returns. It's been kinda lonely without your posts ;)

Magicman

Thanks for missing me because I really need some adult supervision sometimes.    ;D   :D 

Bill Gaiche

Lonely? I bet Mrs. MM was pretty close by. bg

Magicman

Yup, and when she is there I don't have to eat "sammiches" for every meal.   ;D

Banjo picker

My wife has been gone for a couple of days, but she left me a big plate or fried apple pies to live on ... 8)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Bill Gaiche

MM, nothing better than great support. bg

Slingshot

Those are some good looking walnut trees. Should make lots of furniture grade
lumber. Makes me want to go up the creek and whack down a couple nice ones
I have.

captain_crunch

Magic
If my Learjet was not down for repairs I would come give you a hand :D :D :D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Magicman

And I would take it CC.   :D :D

What was I thinking??  I was looking at those trees and figuring out how to get them out whole and sawing them roots and all.  Where the heck am I going to find time to do it?  I'm booked solid for the next 2-3 weeks sawing.  This week out of town as in 115 miles from home.  Then there is the Cabin Addition, plus, plus, plus.   :-\

I'm not complaining.  Life is good, and I am happy.   :)

captain_crunch

Magic
Look at it this way things are dead on west coast at least you are busy ::) ::) ::)

paul case

Now that only happens when you got something ya wanna do.
I haven't had a order for 2 weeks or more so I have been building some 10ft horse or cattle panels and ties and then Thursday a guy stops me in the middle of the road and wants a trailer floor. Beofre I got done feeding the cows another call for a trailer floor. I delivered a dab of pallet lumber on Friday and got an order for 25 3¾x3¾-10' cants. Then later on friday when I went delivering some firewood slabs I got an order from a neighbor for 20  2x6-10' rafter boards.
I got 1 trailer floor and the cants sawn on Saturday afternoon. The other trailer floor is 16' so I have to go fetch some logs for it. I think I can get the 20 2x6-10' off some 10' logs that will tie and make up some ties to go by Friday. 
I am going to a conference in Oklahoma City Monday and Tuesday so the rest is going to wait. I just got blessed with enough work to pay my Feb. bills in the first week of it.  I guess I better start saving up for sweethearts day. 8) 8) 8)   PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!