iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band luber

Started by Bump, January 24, 2012, 05:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bump

I was adding a luber to my LT 40 using a windshield washer pump and a solenoid valve to pulse the spray and a flasher unit to control the pulse. Anyone here done that.

Chuck White

I have the standard water lube system and I also have a windshield washer tank with the pump mounted on the other side of the saw head with a line going around to lube the blade when it gets pitched up.

I have a mixture of bar oil and kerosene in that tank!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bump

Don't use the washer pump use a variable pressure fuel pump

Bump

The mod section is huge can they be mod by types if not this is in wrong spot

Cutting Edge

I just ordered the parts to build a luber similiar to what you're talkin about.  I considered a flasher unit, but figured the load at start-up would cook the contacts (amperage spike).  Then considered using the flasher to trigger a small SPST relay, but the flasher requires a load to work.  You may consider using an adjustable LED flasher (electronic) but they run about $40. Or use a 12v fuel pump with a 12v diaphram valve...good pressure that way.

I ended up deciding on a cyclic timer wired into a SPST relay to make a small PLC circuit that is adjustable with two small potentiometers to control both "spray" time and the delay between sprays. Should be able to get as low as a ½ sec. spray with a delay up to 60 sec. between.  Using a Lucas washer pump. Should work well for both water and deisel with this amount of adjustment. All in a weatherproof enclosure.

It may sound over-engineered, but that was the only way to make it durable enough (all day, everyday) IMHO.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Banjo picker

I just don't see the need for pumps...gravity works pretty good with fluids.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Bump

It's just to make better use of the lube you use the idea to apply snuff to cool a and clean with out waisting it.

pineywoods

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 29, 2012, 09:19:58 AM
I just don't see the need for pumps...gravity works pretty good with fluids.  Banjo

I concur. Mother nature empties the lube jug all too quickly without any help from a pump. Especially when I forget to turn off the valve while I'm busy turning a log.. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Cutting Edge

The reason I personally am building a pump unit is to control the amount, whether water or oil.  Plus it will eliminate having such a large resivoir...my mill is kinda limited on places to locate and be convenient to fill.  I could be understanding it wrong (please correct me) that to much lube can also swell the chips and rob horsepower?  Still in the learning phase here  :P Wouldn't there be an advantage to spraying both sides?...kinda makes sense to me.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

pineywoods

RW, I think a lot depends on what kind of wood you are cutting. I don't see much buildup on the bottom of the blade, not sure why. Also I don't have a problem with freezing. If it's that cold I don't saw...so I can get away with flooding the blade with water mixed with pinesol. That usually loosens the crud and it gets scrapped off on the log. The only place I have seen where spraying the bottom would have been benifical was sawing pressure treated  timbers. Did that once, don't recommend it. .
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Cutting Edge

piney - Oh..OK  I figured I could kill two birds....be able to adjust and use water on certain timber, or switch and also be able to choke the amount oil used as to not stain anything (mist in on).  I always wondered why the water only was applied on the top  ???  I reckon I'll be learning as I go too. 

Bump - How did your set-up turn out?

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Chuck White

I might be wrong, but I think that the sawdust and pitch stick to the top (that being the inside) of a bandsaw blade (a wood-mizer anyway) is because of the "pull-down" that is forced upon the blade once it enters the log or cant.

The blade is constantly pulling against the board that is getting cut off of the cant.  It might not be pulling very much, but it is pulling, none the less!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

It gets smashed on by your guide rollers.
Too many irons in the fire

Jim H

I always thought the sawdust and pitch stuck to the inside of the blade because it got pressed on by the guides and bandwheels. :-\
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Cutting Edge

Learn something new everyday!    ;D

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Thank You Sponsors!