iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baker 18HD ALMOST NEW $6,000 IT LOOK LIKE A VERY GOOD DEAL ..WHAT IS YOUR OP

Started by roger4400, January 23, 2012, 08:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger4400

First hello everyone, I'm not really a new member, but we,ve changed our internet supplyer so....starting all over.....
     I really think I,ve found a very good deal on a sawmill AND I NEED YOUR ADVISE AND OPINIONS BECAUSE ......soon I might own a  sawmill and will mill my own wood ( I own 2 wooden lots ±200 acres at all) . The mill I,ve found is a Baker 18HD, 20 hp Honda engine, can cut 20 ft logs, trailer package, the engine ran less than 100 hours, only 8,000 bf milled with it.He bought it 2 or 3 years ago.  I'll also get a blade sharpener kit. Now a few questions for you pros :
Is that Baker mill is strong and well built ?
Any problem with Honda 20 Hp engines?
I guess that for $6,000 I can't go wrong ? (the owner is divorcing, I'm sorry for him but strangely happy for myself)
Anyone of you use that mill and what do I have to check on the mill, any failure, or problems that occurs frequently ?
So WAITING FOR YOUR OPINIONS AND EXPERIENCES ON THOSE MILLS. Thank you and best regards. Roger

(

mad murdock

A hydraulic bandmill? Sharpener/setter? Trailer package? $6,000?
If I were you I'd pinch myself to make sure it weren't a dream! I don't know anything about Baker mills,other than what I have seen on their website and read on the forum. I would be having it my yard post haste!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Slingshot

Don't know about them personally  but found a video on U-tube.
Looks like a well built machine from what i can tell,
but HD seems to not stand for hydraulic on this one. Must be heavy duty.
I have run 2 of the 20 HP Hondas and had no trouble with them. Other's
in the past have had an issue with them in cold weather, but I didn't on either
of the ones I've run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1sMsm7vaQE

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

BandsawWarrior

Baker makes great mills.  We have a 3642 and it is extremely well built.  Baker started out in the pallet industry so I find their thinking and design very "industrial".  Components are heavy duty and we've only had one major break down in 7 years...We saw for a living and that saw still amazes me even after all these years of pumping out timbers.

I'm not familiar with that model but find out what the price is new and go from there.  I would buy my mill over and over and....

cheers and good luck!
Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

roger4400

Do'nt pinch yourself too hard........it is all manual     but  HD is for a heavy duty frame made of  tubing ;D 2X6 X 3/16in.  thick....Keep feeding me with your opinions and experiences. Thank you. Roger

scouter Joe

We have an enercraft bandsaw . They were bought out by Baker and moved to the States . The saw in the video looks almost identical to ours except it is red . Bought new in 93 and have had no problems at all with it . Changed a few belts , a muffler and 3 batteries . Every thing else is still original . Ours has a 20 horse Kohler so I can't comment on the Honda . scouter Joe

terrifictimbersllc

Sounds like a good deal.  I love Honda engines, have several of them (not on sawmill). But once a building contractor who was watching me saw, said he didn't like them. He told me they can suck back gasoline into the crankcase which can ruin them.  Since then I am careful to shut off the gas line valve when not in use especially before moving the equipment.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

MotorSeven

I thought I read something here on Honda 20's having some sort of problem? But, then again I can't seem to remember what happened yesterday :o
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Quebecnewf

The Baker Hd is the same mill as my Enercraft. Made in Ontario Canada. baker bought out Enercraft and moved it to the states. They make most if not all of the original Enercraft line.  They are very good mills. I have had 2 . My first was all manuel. The new one is the same mill 18HD but with an HYD motor to move the carrage foward and back. Most of my logs are small so hyd to turn the logs is not an issue. Mine has a Kohler 18HP motor so cannot comment on the Honda.

Check out pics on my profile. What type of sharpner???

Quebecnewf

customsawyer

I had a 24hp honda and the only trouble I had was that it was cold nature. That is in Ga. so I could only imagine running one somewhere up north.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

cutterboy

$6000 is a good price for that mill. If you can be happy with a manual mill, go for it. I have two Honda 13hp motors and love them. Never owned a 20hp.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

eastberkshirecustoms

Don't know your location but there is an Enercraft mill for sale up my way: http://binghamton.craigslist.org/tls/2786966299.html. It is $1000 cheaper than the Baker and looks to have at least power feed.

roger 4400

Thank you everyone for your answers. I bought the mill (it is stored in my garage, I will not use it during winter time). The engine almost look new and all is working fine on the mill. The frame is heavy and straight (all the angle iron where the carriage rolls are still very sharp angled and not round or damaged, the tires are new ). The previous owner only used it to mill 8,000 bf, so the mill is new and he never towed it only when he went to Ontario to take it back to his home).
I do not have any photos of it so **it do not exists** :D ( had a problem with the computer and I'm not very good with computers) .

Quebecnewf, with the mill I had a sharpener sold at that time (2004) at $2800 plus tax it was sold by Enercraft/Baker, it is a TECOMEC made in Italy.
He also gave me a setter, no make on it but it is Baker blue with a pressure gage written KAR on it. This setter and it,s base were sold for $770 at that time.
He has not used it for the last 2 years ( had a big back wound and cannot move anything heavy and divorcing). So I'm very happy with the deal ( also 4 blabes, many spare bearings and straps). For the next few months,I'll be dreaming of me milling my logs  ;D  I will make a shed for the mil, something like 24 ft X 36 ft, so the mill will be covered ( the mill is almost 30 ft long), with a cement floor and a 24 ft opening to roll the logs.  Thank you and best regards. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Quebecnewf

Roger 4400

Congrats on the new (to you ) mill  . 8000 brd ft is not even broke in . I would consider that a new mill. The sharpner is a new to me in  name. I have a  Dinosaw bandsaw sharpner from down under AU

I am pleased with this sharpner.

I must say that the skill to sharpen a bandsaw blade is very important. I had an old guy tell me that any fool can saw given a sharp blade but no one can saw with a dull blade. This is all to true with bandmills. Where in Quebec are you located , not to many of us here on the FF

Quebecnewf

my hometown

Thank You Sponsors!