iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Western Wild Cherry log price

Started by Frank_Pender, December 06, 2001, 05:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

Living out West in Oregon might be a bit difficult for some on this forum to help me with my delima.   I am trying to determin a fair price to pay for quality Wild Cherry logs ;).  Now, this is not the same as the Eastern Black Cherry.  I have a minimum call for for this species.  This week, in  fact I am putting a load in the kiln.  I have thought about paying the chip value price, but it is so low that I feel it is not very fair, when I am requesting a specific dimension type of log.  Any help in this area would be appreciated.
Frank Pender

timberbeast

Frank,  if you go to the "firearms enthusiast@www.EZboard.com"  and post a question in "general discussion"  to Oldguide (user name),  you may get a good answer.  He is a logger and mill operator in Oregon with a bunch of experience under his belt!
Where the heck is my axe???

Ron Wenrich

I'm a little puzzled about western wild cherry.  I worked out i Oregon back in the late 60s and early 70s and never saw any wild cherry.  In fact, I can't find western wild cherry in my dendrology book.

I would imagine that your wild cherry is just domestic sweet cherry that has spread to the forest.  I've seen apple in Oregon and that was the theory.  As such, it doesn't have the same grain as black cherry.  I've sawn sweet cherry, and it seems to have a muddier appearance.

As for price, what are you paying for alder, maple or white oak?  How does the grade yield do in comparison?  You could pay the same as you are for one of those species as long as your sales price is about the same.

Sounds to me like you're the only game in town when it comes to cherry.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frank_Pender

Timberbeast... Thanks for the tip.  I have yet to find this guy, but I will keep trying.  Me and this machine do not always see eye to key. :D   Don... I did some research this moring and discovered that the cherry is a real trash wood for most chip buyers in the area.   I also found  that about the most fair way to purchase this type of fiber is by the ton, which is at this time about $16.00.   Thank you both for you input.  I have a pallet mill, beginning today, that is going to save Wild Cherry for me to the specs I gave him.  I am going to speak with Willamette Ind. Chip yard manager today, also.                                                                                                      Your is the  woods 8)
Frank Pender

Tom

How about one of you guru wood guys explain to me the difference in Wild Cherry, Wild black cherry, sweet cherry, etc.  I don't know why I always figured that the big edible cherries grew on trees that produced pretty red wood just like the Wild Black Cherry.

Ron Wenrich

You can get some pretty wood from the sweet cherry, but more often it does not have as pronounced grain.  Black cherry doesn't get those large cherries.  

Which one is black cherry?

Its the one on the right.  

They both finish about the same.  Which is black cherry?

You saw this one, Tom.  The floor is black cherry, the base board is sweet cherry, and the cove trim is pine with a cherry stain.  There is no stain on the cherry.  I like natural finishes.

There is a big quality difference between sweet and black cherry.  Sweet cherry has a lot more defect and has more tendency to have pockets of rot.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frank_Pender

Ron, you are absolutly correect about the Sweet Cherry, as I have sawed a great deal of it for some orchardists who have chosen to remove their orchards.   It will measure no more that 4 to 5 feet at the longest for a good 7"diam. stick.  And the hollows are surely there almost every time.  I will have to admit that I do not know all that much about your  Eastern Black Cherry.  I have found on most  occasions, when I have some samples if your Eastern wood that it seems to be much more red in color than our Western Wild cherry when planed and sanded  and ready to finish.   :)
Frank Pender

Papa Dave

I grew up in the south and have a good bit of southern black cherry on hand.  I have built projects with it for years.  When you plane it, it is much lighter in color, but it will darken with time and if exposed to the sunlight.

I saw some northern black cherry once and it looked lighter than ours.  

Thank You Sponsors!