iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a trailer, need advice!

Started by PJinN.E.Texas, January 23, 2012, 06:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJinN.E.Texas

Fellas, I am scheduled to be home around the 15th of March for R&R.  I am contracting in Afghanistan in support of US and Romanian troops.  I am planning on buying a bumper pull trailer (type "14pi") from "Big Tex trailers" in Mount Pleasant Texas (50mi West of my hometown-Texarkana) while I am at home.  The trailer will need to last me a lifetime and I am planning on buying a trailer with twin 7K lb axles.  This "should" be stout enough to haul tractors and any logs I come across in the distant future once I return home for good and get started (part time) in the Sawmilling business.  The company offers this trailer in 16, 18 and 20 ft lengths at 83 inches wide inside.  I am leaning towards the 18ft'er (was quoted a price of just under 4K) as I have had a lot of past experience with 16ft'ers and the brush hog always seemed to be hanging out the back of the trailer once I got the tractor centered over the axles.  I'm sure the brush-hog will still hang out with an 18ft'er but, not as much.  I currently drive a '98 Chevy EXT cab 4x4 with trailer package and 3.73 gears in the rear-end.  The truck has been stout enough to pull a heavy 16ft trailer loaded with a Ford 3910 tractor with FEL and a 5ft Brush-hog.  The truck will be replaced once I return home (a couple of yrs from now at least) with either a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.  I am requesting advice on what yall think about my trailer selection and what you would do given past experience with the trailers yall are using.  I'm sure I will add some type of system to load logs at a later date such as for "parbuckling" or the type DanG came up with (still trying to find that thread again) but, that too is in the distant future.  I am a firm believer in "it's better to have too much than not enough"... as long as it is still affordable!  Thank you for your time fellas.
-HARD WORK BUILDS CHARACTER-

PJ Mathews

Ironwood

I REALLY like Big Tex. I have spied trailers for years, and theirs are up with the best of them. FIRST: over build and underrate it. I personally would go with at LEAST 16" eight bolt Dexter axles. I dare say I would use 17" trailer tires/rims for anything at 10k or above. The 17" tire will last and last. The tire is always the weak link of the trailer. Also, surge brakes will ALWAYS out perform electrics. Four 17" tires will be good for 24k, so you go with only one axle. and be good for 12k, Seems funny, but that would make some sense. Less $$$ and less wear/tear. I would use two regardless. Keep the GVW at 9999lbs unless you absolutely need more. The manufacturer can build it to a 12-18k spec and put whatever tag (vin plate) gvw they want on it, just not ABOVE the actual build spec. This will keep you out of the CDL/Med card thresh-hold. under 10k is the magic number. I like wood decks, less slippy than diamond plate.

I did just spy a Quality Trailer deck over built for our Local Ferrell Propane Gas co.   http://www.qualitytrailersinc.com/ it looks like this without the drop beaver tail.

My buddy is the regional Mgr. and said it was custom made for $4,000 and was 20' 9999gvw NICE. I-beam main frame bent on a curve at the tongue transition, much like a Butler trailer (another great brand). VERY , VERY nice. I will try to get a picture trailer.   

Forgot, if you go with 16" tires spec them to use G-Series Goodyears. They are FULL steel cased like tractor trailer tires, and DONT sway. Also, use digital lights. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ironwood

Here is another custom built for a barn demo guy I deal with . It has the 17" tires. He spent 10k.
I think it is 20k+ GVW.Note the dual jacks, GREAT for a crane (stable) 

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ironwood

cypresskayaksllc

Get a flatbed. A lot easier to load and unload logs and lumber
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

bugdust

Couple years back I bought a 12,000#, 16' dove tail to haul logs and the tractor. I use standards when hauling logs so I can unload with the forks. The trailer was perfect hauling the tractor until I bought the new JD. Length wise the tractor will fit, but with the wheels flipped the trailer is to narrow.

Last year I bought a 10,000#, 14' dump trailer which works great as long as the log lengths fit. I've found it to be the best for hauling logs, or delivering lumber. Now I just open the the double gates and push the button.

I suggest you plan for the future and buy a little bigger than what you need for now.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

dgdrls

This should work for the trailer,   ;)

You may already know the Truck  :)

Best DGDrls

Buck

On that trailer you've got spec'd out be sure it hitches with a 2 5/16 ball or pintle ring. Dual jacks are nice and not common on that size trailer. Also make sure the fenders are not the flimsy lightweight stuff. I don't think big tex even uses them on that size trailer anyway.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

sealark37

Eighteen feet bed length is a good choice.  Get the flat bed with the tires under the bed.  It is a little inconvenient, but is so much more flexible in loading/unloading.  Be very aware of the state and federal rules regarding GVW of the trailer as well as that of the towing vehicle.  Talk to the manufacturer and try to optimize the empty weight of the trailer and the max gross weight.  Carefully consider what you want to do the most with this trailer.  It is easy to order one with all the bells and whistles, only to find that it is too compromised to be of much use.  It is easier to have 2, or 3, or 4 trailers suited to certain jobs than to have only one that does nothing well.  Specify the best tires available.  Don't overload it.  Regards, Clark :)

scsmith42

My 2 cents.

1 - consider a gooseneck instead of a tag-a-long.  Goosenecks provide you with greater capacity, more stability, and are much, much more maneuverable.  Lot's of 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickup truck in Texas have pulled gooseneck stock trailers for years too.

2 - if you can afford it, and want the very best brakes possible (short of vacuum brakes), spend the extra $ and get the electrically operated hydraulic trailer brakes.  These have a master cylinder on the trailer that is operated from an electric servo, that in turn is operated from a standard electric trailer brake controller.  The brakes are absolutely superb, and better than the standard magnetic electric or surge brakes.

3. Longer is better than shorter.  I have trailers with decks of 16', 20', and 37'.  If I could only have one, it would be the 37 footer (dual tandem, hydraulic dovetail gooseneck with 27K gross rating).   

4.  Get a flat deck with a dovetail, or a tilt deck trailer.  Much easier to load and unload logs from the sides, and easier to load equipment from the rear.  Hydraulic dovetails are fantastic.

5.  In addition to Big Tex, check out Brute (nearby in Blossom, TX).  http://www.brutetrailers.com/

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

caveman

PJinNETexas, The advice above is sound.  Several years ago we built a trailer with 7000 lb axles and it has a 16' deck with a 30" dovetail.  It has fenders, a single 8K jack with a drop foot, bull dog hitch (my favorite), and an in-deck tool box.  Most of the time I haul my tractor with a mower, I wish it were longer as I often leave the ramps at home and load the tractor (Kubota M7040)  while the mower hangs over the back of the trailer.  If I were building or buying a trailer primarily to haul logs, it would be a flatbed.  If I were hauling trucks or tractors, the low deck height and low center of gravity are advantageous.  The gooseneck style trailer would suit my current needs better now.  Caveman
Caveman

Dave VH

Sounds like the trailer will be capable of more than the truck.
I have a 16' dump, and a 16' car hauler, both with dual 7k axels.  Many times, they have been too short.  You will never regret going longer, as long as the truck can handle it.  I also have access to a 26' gooseneck, that's nice, but I usually keep a cap on my truck, and that makes it inconvienent.  I went through a couple transmissions on my 1/2 ton towing dumb.  Don't make that mistake, it doesn't pay.  Knock on wood, my allison hasn't let me down yet, and I have really tested it.  Good luck on your decision, you're doing it right with lots of research.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

redbeard

I know this is not trailer advice but this truck deal fell in my lap when I was truck n trailer shopping. I have seen these medium duty stick and articulating boom trucks for sale in equip. Trader mags and Texas seems to have some good deals. Licence and insurance comercial is a little under 900 for a year. But I make it up on setting beams ect. For 8500 bucks I beat what  I was going to spend on truck n trailer to haul tractor to get logs. And save extra trip it will haul 18' and 20' with 16' on top weight is 10,000lb pay load. You do need CDL. Its just something to consider also it dumps also and its a pretty good yarder.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Kansas

Quote from: cypresskayaksllc on January 23, 2012, 07:16:37 PM
Get a flatbed. A lot easier to load and unload logs and lumber

Do I ever second that. I don't know how many times people come into the mill with a car type trailer hauling logs. Then you have the choice of trying to lift them off with the tongs, or drag them off the back end. The first runs a high risk of the tongs failing, and doing damage to the trailer. The second is hard on the trailer. Loading lumber, pallets, anything else is much easier with a flatbed. Also, the advice of a gooseneck is sound advice. Also getting a dovetail.

Norm

I've run a bunch of tag a longs but after getting this one those days are long gone.

Well worth the extra money.

Bogue Chitto

I bought a used trailer 15 yrs ago.  20 foot long with no sides works good.  I haul my tractor to the sight load the logs and bring them home.  Park the trailer on the side of a hill undo the binders " Get out of the way" trailer is unloaded in no time. Then go back to get my tractor. 

dukndog

I got a Texas Bragg (made in Mt. Pleasant) also about 5 yrs ago for under $2k. Bumper pull 20' tube with drop gate 7k axels and brakes. Was around $700.00 cheaper than my local BigT dealer. Both brands are high quality and well built.
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

scsmith42

MotorSeven

I would consider a 20'. 18 just does not give you any wiggle room at all and if you are like me you will end up trying to haul something that's a wee bit bigger that what you have.
If I ever buy a new trailer it will have no ramps, but a hydraulic tilt...it's the only way to fly...........
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Norm

Darn it Scott you keep upping the anty on me!

Patty!!!!!

plowboyswr

Norm now I'm the one who's jealous!  :D
scsmith bet that hydrolic dove is handy sure would make moving equipment easier.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

scsmith42

Quote from: Norm on January 25, 2012, 07:04:48 AM
Darn it Scott you keep upping the anty on me!

Patty!!!!!

Norm, you owe me a keyboard.... cause I spewed ice tea all over it when I read your response!   :D

I'm not "upping the Ante" with you... I"m just trying to "catch up"!   ;D

Course if you want to represent differently to Patty, I've got your back!

PJinN.E.Texas

Fellas,
     Thank you all for so much advice.  I can really see the pros of buying a flatbed trailer instead of one with sides.  The pictures sure helped me a lot in deciding.  I do run a 1/2 ton chevy and because of my current job situation I may just wait till I come home to buy the trailer and start looking for 1 ton truck as well.  Of course, that will be in a couple of years at least.  I am not ready to give up all this money they are giving away over here.  The money will help me pay off my house shortly as well as allow me to buy 50-60 acres, a truck and trailer and a mill.  This will all be used of course as I am not into "brand new" any more.  My buck goes a lot further in the used category.  Again, thanks for all your input fellas.  It is truly appreciated.
-HARD WORK BUILDS CHARACTER-

PJ Mathews

MotorSeven

Keep your dang head down over there PJ!

I was almost ready to sigh up for Kosovo before the mission ended there. I hesitated because I would have had to retire early so it all worked out for the better.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

AvT

This is a 26 ft Load Trail tilt deck with 3 7K torsion axles.  Unfortunately I cant tell you too much about it other than it seems like a good trailer and so was the price.  I have only hauled a few loads with it so far and I like it.  I think the tilt deck may be somwhat heavier than the one with beaver tails which should be considered when buying.

Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Thank You Sponsors!